in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-29-2009 9:28 AM by blue2th. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-25-2009 10:50 PM

Remember your first time???

I was just thinking about all of the B&O items I've had in the past, and it led me to where it all started...

After coveting B&O for years, I finally made a purchase. It was a used VX 7000 that I bought not knowing I'd need a Beovision to control it Embarrassed. Oh well, I had to buy an MX 7000 to go with it!! But that wasn't my second purchase... That was a Beo 4 to control the VX 7000 before I realised I needed the TV Laughing

What was everyone else's first time???

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 05-26-2009 1:02 AM In reply to

Re: Remember your first time???

My first B & O I've seen yet as a boy.
    He is owned by the father of my friend. It was love at first sight.
    Since that day I knew what I want to have.
    Now my dreams are fulfilled.
    I have no intention to change the brand. Never.
    This is my heaven on earth.

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 05-26-2009 2:12 AM In reply to

My first encounter with B&O was at a Brookstone store in Fashion Valley, in Sand Diego - CA, during the summer 1994.

I just discovered the magical features of a BS2500. Those sliding doors, the incredible sounds coming from the small BL2500 astonished me.

That day, I new I would stick to B&O forever.

Cheers,

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 05-26-2009 3:56 AM In reply to

1970. Wandered into the  Beaver Radio shop in Whitechapel Liverpool, close to the then Beatles famous NEMS music store and Rushworths Music (all now defunct.) Saw a 1200 tuner/amp. So distinctive with its slide rule appearance. I hovered by it for far too long. Invited into the upstairs listening/ demonstration room I was soon being offered the radio with a pair of ex demonstration Beovox 2600 speakers. I took the package and was back within months for a 1203 turntable (with which I had a less than happy start-see thread elsewhere.)

The 1200 & 1203 still sit on my bookcase with the 2600's mounted on rubber- damped wall brackets although I have to confess to using radio via CRT Beovision far more these days.

Vikinguk

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 05-26-2009 4:14 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

My dad telling me that there were TVs out there that were so thin (back in CRT days).

But for me it's now discovering my music on my imac with my earset.

• 05-26-2009 5:24 AM In reply to

My father had a home demo from the local B&O dealer. Eventually he chose a Beomaster 1100, a Beogram 1100 and pair of Beovox S30's which became much loved members of the family for the next several years. The Beomaster and Beogram are long gone but he still uses the S30s on a daily basis as his main speakers.

While he was there we also saw a demo of the Beomaster 1900 which seems so uinbelievably advanced with it's lights, smooth lines and touch-sensitive controls that it seemed like a true product of the space age.

Fast forward 30 years and I was struggling to work out why my hi-fi built from relatively inexpensive but well-reviewed new components sounded so much worse than my fathers 15-year old system built around a 30 year-old pair of speakers. I won a pair of S30s on eBay for a nominal sum which proved to be a 'Gateway Drug' and the rest, as they say, is history.

Simon

• 05-26-2009 7:07 AM In reply to

First, I my friend show me catalog once, long time ago ....

And, for many years I could not afford it, but time is come and BS2300 was mine Smile

It works for many years with bose speakers Ick!, but now he join the link setup ... Smile

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 05-26-2009 7:12 AM In reply to

I guess it was bought in 1981 or 1982, as it was always there, well at least from whence I can remember things. We had a Beovision 8800, which lasted for many years, until my father succumbed to the desire to buy a bigger one and opted for an (inferior) Philips. Angry

Now I have it all repaired though, as I have my 7-40 at home!

• 05-26-2009 7:49 AM In reply to

My first encounter was passing the local dealer (Cowlings of Leicester) on the bus to school every morning. I can remember peering through the windows at all the cool designs and wanting it, badly!

By luck one day, aged 12 or 13, I stumbled across an ad for a Bang & Olufsen stereo for £8 in the local paper. I went to have a look at it and to my delight it looked amazingly space age and certainly like nothing I'd seen before. It looked "Bang & Olufsen" and I bought it straight away!

It was a Beocenter 2200 with Beovox X25 speakers but I loved it! That was the start of a long standing B&O addiction which hasn't let up so far!

• 05-26-2009 10:59 AM In reply to

My very first encounter must be at my grandparents on both sides. Beovox S45-2 in oak and a Beogram 2202. Still in the family and works. Then there was the '70s Beomaster 2000 and Beolit 5..-7.. which I dont' know where its gone to these days.

The B&O virus did not hit me untill 2003. I got to see a Beocord 9000 in rosewood upclose. Yes I still got it.Smile

• 05-26-2009 12:54 PM In reply to

Hey all,

Yes its interesting to see how we all came to be here, I think that I have mentioned before that the iconic and standout BM2400 was my first introduction to B&O. We were visiting family friends in the early 80's and they had not long had this new sound system, it was nothing like the silver boxes I would see at the local electronics store... even more exciting was the touch controls, red LED's and glowing displays... and who could forget the long horizontal design of the 3 units, the high tech looking remote... and  well, of course the smooth sound... all quite amazing

Some years later my family bought the BS2000 of the mid eighties.... they still have and use it regularly to this day ....

Both were wonderful introductions, one day I think I will get myself a nice little rosewood BM 2400 just for some misty eyed nostalgia...Smile

Laurence.

• 05-28-2009 7:55 AM In reply to

• majand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-26-2008
    • Helsinki
    • Posts 72
    • Gold Member

It was spring term of 1975, my last at school. I was fortunate enough to get to work 1 day each week practising in the B&O:s service center in Finland. Got to do little jobs to Beogram 1000's and such. No televisions or complicated stereos for a youngster. Anyway, the passion was born deep down.

Then, I never went to the profession of repairing AV devices, but computers, card punches etc. that time. Towards the end of 70's, I could afford a brand new BM1900-2 Which I still have. That was the only brand new B&O device I could afford till the present day.

After came a Beovision 601, which was pre-owned. It's still at the attic. I need to display it, when I find a space, it's just a beautiful piece.

Then there was quite a long pause with other brands, until last year discovered an Avant from a net auction, Pandoras box was opened, Smile and now there is a pile of B&O stuff around. Some working OK, some waiting for a caring hand.

Pekka

• 05-28-2009 1:47 PM In reply to

There certainly aren't any beovirgins on here - I think I should coin the term. Could be used as another term for noob.  Beo is such a great prefix for things. Anything you can stick bio in front of, try replacing with beo egs. beochemistry, beological, beoplasma - hey this is so much fun try it and see.

Anyway sorry for my off topic musings.

My first time was with an avant - I couldn't help myself. First day after purchasing, I was popping tapes in and out of its vhs slot all day!! - I still do the same today.

Hmm I am in a curious mood today!

beocool peeps,

beodude!

• 05-28-2009 4:15 PM In reply to

My first time that I saw a B&O system was sometime mid 70ies at a friends place. His (older) brother had a great setup with S80 speakers a begram4000 (I think) and an older beomaster 5000 amp and tuner. We enjoyed playing his system while he was out Wink

Fast forward to mid-eighties. I used to walk by a dealers store every day on my way to University. I just had to stop and look at the window every day on my way back .. I remember the white red line speakers , beolab5000 speakers, beosystem 6500 and beosound 9000 ... simply magic.
    Though my parents (or me) never had the money for a whole setup they did buy a white LX tv on a white stand..... simply stunning (My mom still uses it every day.)  

It's only later in my early 30ies that I had the cash to buy anything B&O myself. A nice beosound 3000 with speakers, a beolab 3500 and an MX tv. I didn't have much time to  enjoy it though as it all soon became property of my ex....Indifferent 

I kind of gave up on B&O at that point. Just seemed to be full of bad memories. 

Fast forward about 8 years and after picking up the pieces of my life and ultimately moving to a whole new country, Canada, life is good again.
    2 years ago I bough a second-hand 80ies beomaster 5000 (which I still own) , moving onto a full beosystem7000, and av7000 and 5 cx100 speakers. All of which has been restored to fully functional and is in use every day.

Time is coming to upgrade the system, but I find it hard to really like any of the latest systems.
    As no real second hand B&O is available locally I will have to buy new. first some good beolab speakers, then a beosound9000 and after that... maybe a beo TV.

Sorry for the long post

Regards

• 05-28-2009 7:31 PM In reply to

Walked into the Sights and Sounds electronics store back in the  late 70's and stumbled accross what was probably a BM 1900 or 2400 and was left in awe.

I was still in high school so buying it was out of the question.

Then in the early 80's my sisters ex-husband had a BM 4400 that I really liked. Was able to "borrow it for awhile in the mid 90's after the divorce, but then gave it back.

Finally got fed up with the crappy surround sounds I had and took the plunge about 6 months ago and have not looked back.

• 05-28-2009 9:06 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2009
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 73
    • Bronze Member

I lusted after the Beogram 4004 and bought one in 1980 (?)  It was such a beautiful work of art.  It was a lot of money.  The B&O fascination has since gone on.   

BeoSound 9000, Beolab 8000, BeoLab 4000.   Beogram 4002/Grado Gold Amina conversion.

• 05-29-2009 3:13 AM In reply to

It must have been 1985 when I saw a picture of a Beogram 3000 in a magazine. Pretty soon I got my first catalogue and visited the local dealer from time to time.

In 1996, just after my 22nd birthday the local dealer was soon to be closed. The shopkeeper had developed problems with his health and could no longer run his business. I had nearly enough money at the time for a Beocenter 9300, but he was willing to give me a discount. I finally had B&O in my life and bought more pieces over the years.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 05-29-2009 9:28 AM In reply to

• blue2th
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-28-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 33
    • Bronze Member

i've always been fascinated (lusted more like it) with the Beosound 9000 but never built up enough courage to ever check out a B&O store or catalogue....

now that i've my own place and enough "disposable" income - i'm starting from small to big :)  beocom 6000 & beocom 1401. 

beosound 1 is next on the list, just deciding on the colour atm. 

i so want a pair of beolab 3 & beosound 4 but think that'll come only after i decide on a beovision for the bedroom ;)

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)