in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-05-2009 1:26 AM by Chrisreunion. 43 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (44 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-21-2009 7:35 PM

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Questions for the UK CEO?

Dear BeoWorld Members,

Next Wednesday, May 27th - BeoWorld will be meeting with Lars Flyvholm, CEO of Bang & Olufsen UK at their HQ in Winnersh for an informal chat about B&O and what's happening in the market at present.

Lars is always happy to answer questions from BeoWorld Members about the brand, new products (within reason!) and issues affecting the UK market and has been a great interviewee in the past. We will of course type up our 'findings' and publish them onsite for all to read.

So - if you have any questions for him - please post them here! Please be aware he is not the world CEO so cannot give you definitive answers on the companies future direction, but he will surely have a good overview! From our personal experience of Mr Flyvholm, he's not scared of a challenging question - so fire away!

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-21-2009 7:55 PM In reply to

Re: Questions for the UK CEO?

The beosound 5s hard-drive is big but with lossless music (preference for most B&O users as quality important), lots of photos and progressively more videos being loaded onto it the 500Gb space will soon become insufficient - when will you release a 1Tb drive which make more sense?

are there any plans to have a movie + music version of the Beosound 5 so that you have your DVDs and downloaded itune movies in one place with cover art?

Smile

• 05-21-2009 10:14 PM In reply to

Do they know if there is an above average number of Apple mac users among their customers and if yes, will this be more considered for future products then they did with BS5.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-22-2009 1:39 AM In reply to

jk1002:

Do they know if there is an above average number of Apple mac users among their customers and if yes, will this be more considered for future products then they did with BS5.

Good question!

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 05-22-2009 5:55 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Here's my one and only question and it's really ideal for the UK boss:

One of the key reasons for buying in to the B&O brand is the support from your dealer. We pay a premium for our products and we expect only the best support. Product software has been a problem for B&O in the last couple of years, but B&O UK rely on their dealers to pay, at their cost, for an engineer to fix a software problem under warranty. As times are tough, UK dealers are becoming more reluctant to update or even fix small software-based problems.

Shouldn't a purchase of a high-end B&O TV include at least four free engineer warranty-based visits during the time of ownership and that be clearly defined in the warranty terms and conditions? At the moment, we have a warranty between user and B&O, through a third-party, which is the dealer. If the dealer can't afford or doesn't want to fix issues, who do we turn to for support? Isn't a software-based warranty useless, in this example?

• 05-22-2009 8:15 AM In reply to

• andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • weston-super(!)-mare
    • Posts 123
    • Founder

here is my question....

since the prices are rising due to FOREX issues.....if these reverse will the prices drop...i can probably guess the answer btw..LOL

andy

• 05-22-2009 10:40 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Keep going! I don't fancy talking about the weather for an hour.. Laughing

Lee

• 05-22-2009 11:13 AM In reply to

Are the recent and near future product releases already a result of the new (global) CEO or will his changes take affect at a lter point.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-22-2009 1:18 PM In reply to

From my point of view it seems that the Masterlink is dieing.

No digital Input from a device (i.e. Apple TV, digital Sat Receiver, Tvix) is forwarded to the ML bus.

Also if a device does not support FBAS signal, no picture signal is send to the Masterlink Bus.  Anything with better quality, i.e. YPbPr, HDMI can only be used in the main room.

The biggest point in my eyes is the tremendous echo between the main room and a link room. This is simply inacceptable, so what is Bang  & Olufsen doing with the Masterlink.

• 05-22-2009 1:57 PM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

why if you have a problem with a product do beocare give you a generic reply that almost seems like B&o is not bothered about its customers.

Also why it took a year to fix the software problems in the BV7 and now i have found another.

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 05-22-2009 3:11 PM In reply to

I love the design of the BV5. It is one of the most iconic 'pieces' from B&O, just as the BS9000 is. Why was it so short lived? The BV9 is not as attractive looking (from my point of view) as the BV5. You could have stayed with the BV5 and kept it up to date. Why was it discontinued and for what reasons? Who made the final decision?

Thanks,
    Simon. 

• 05-22-2009 3:45 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Bizarrely, I don't see much of a difference between the BV9 and BV5. Basically same TV from my viewpoint. Sure, slightly curved framework, but not much of a difference. Same structure. I guess B&O may think the same?

Kind of like saying 'why did you change the BV4 frame to be more curved' as it's a very similar framework design change. I guess they just wanted t 'modernise' the frame. I think the old squared frame looks rather dated these days. The new BV4 looks more modern.

• 05-22-2009 3:54 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

I want to follow with sethach's point (which is a good point):

Now B&O are finally embracing HD across their range, what on earth are the company planning to do about streaming HD television (or even digital television) across our homes? The current masterlink is absolutely unacceptable in the current climate. If I wanted to watch a Blu-ray movie through my BV7-40 MKIV, I want a fairly reasonable representation on my linked BV8. However, the current setup pushes the HD AV stream via a standard analogue RF cable, which means the resulting image looks like a poor standard definition picture on the linked TV, which is only a few metres away.

Worse, why do huge TVs such as the BV7-40 and BV9 require a separate RF distribution box simply to send a TV signal to link room TV? Surely this technology could be built in to the TV? There are now far too many cables connected to the back of my BV7 and one of the techniques used to sell the TV is the lack of cables out of the back of the unit.

• 05-22-2009 4:37 PM In reply to

I'd like to know and I'm shure others would too,How do B&O end up with some of the prices  that they do?

I'd like some/more of there stuff  but some of the prices put it out of reach for me!

Also as another member said,what is B&O going to do to bring the Masterlink System in to the HD Future!..I'd like to send full HD to Another room and will there be a unit like the Beomaster 5 for video! 

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 05-23-2009 2:49 AM In reply to

• mylpen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-16-2008
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Hi

Would you ask him about schedule to produce a dvb-t/dvb-t2 option for the new BV8-40.

rgds

Pentti

• 05-23-2009 6:06 AM In reply to

moxxey:

Worse, why do huge TVs such as the BV7-40 and BV9 require a separate RF distribution box simply to send a TV signal to link room TV? Surely this technology could be built in to the TV? There are now far too many cables connected to the back of my BV7 and one of the techniques used to sell the TV is the lack of cables out of the back of the unit.

Hi Moxxey,

Dont you answer your own question really?

Is it better that the RF distribution is back of the BV7(2-6 cables) or a separate RF box(2 cables)

BMGHB

BeoVision10-46MKII,BL3,BL2,BS8,Beo5

• 05-23-2009 6:11 AM In reply to

I would like to know the following:

If the price on a specific item is based on the development cost and the production cost.

How come is it that products like BeoLab 6000 (1992-?), BeoLab 8000 (1992-?) dont fall in price or at least stay the same..?

BMGHB

BeoVision10-46MKII,BL3,BL2,BS8,Beo5

• 05-23-2009 7:25 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

BMGHB:

Dont you answer your own question really?

Is it better that the RF distribution is back of the BV7(2-6 cables) or a separate RF box(2 cables)

BMGHB

Not really. The box is huge. However, the BV7 should be able to incorporate the box electronics, so you don't need to try and hide that box. It's bad enough with the cables, but the cables and additional boxes make the situation much worse.

• 05-23-2009 11:23 AM In reply to

• Movie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

When will B&O release software to customers for Beo5 remote, so that they can program it themselves.

• 05-23-2009 1:55 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

I have another question, but I bet Lee won't want to ask :)

I'm confused about the trade-in policy offered by a dealer. Despite my BV7-40 MKIII being in mint condition, some dealers simply wouldn't accept it as a trade-in against the new MKIV. Some didn't want it full-stop. However, walk in to my local dealer and they don't advertise their 'pre-loved' products anywhere in the store. It's as if the dealer only wants to promote new kit, at full RRP. Apple pro-actively promote their 'refurbished' products and this section of their store is very popular. Why don't B&O UK re-organise the trade-in scheme and encourage dealers to promote their 'pre-loved' products either in store or in the shop window?

Also, why don't B&O do what Apple do and offer 'end of life' products at a small discount? The pre-loved range could also include some end-of-life products where customers could get, say, a BV7-40 MKIII slightly discounted, rather than the MKIV.

Like security software that is given away free to get users hooked in to the technology, B&O should pull out all the stops with new users as, once they are on the B&O bandwagon, they are more likely to upgrade or add to their collection, rather than move across to other brands.

• 05-24-2009 3:01 AM In reply to

I don’t think that is a question that really concerns them. I suppose it depends on the franchise deal and how B&O want to professionalise salespersons in the future.

I mean…I have had a dealer who has always taken my old gear (bought from him of course) and who has never hesitated in accepting a trading-in deal with a good price. This is one of the attractions and affordabilities of B&O imho.

However, moving around, I have met dealers who were not interested and only wanted to sell new goods. I think the answer lies in what the dealer can sell. If he knows he can shift a Mk1 BV7-32 easily, I’m sure he will do something to make money on both a new sale and on the resale of old px’d goods. To me is as simple as matching buyers to sellers. If they can, they will, if they can’t – then its eBay.

How this will develop once B&O take more control of franchises, I don’t know. B&O may want to cut that concept loose and force sales of new goods only.

10%

• 05-24-2009 4:00 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Mr10Percent:

B&O may want..

Hence my question. We don't know what they want.

When B&O owned the Bath store there was far far more flexibility than when it is/was a franchised store! My question simply is to ask whether - in this recession - that whether they would consider a wider and improve trade-in policy and perhaps a 'pre-loved' store.

• 05-24-2009 4:39 AM In reply to

Questions

1) B&O make design and supply fantastic products and resell at premium prices.  Why is, from my perspective, is no attention paid to the cable management and software maintenance via upgrades from the users perspective (see question 2)?  e.g. Try using all the HDMI ports on a 7-40MK3 coupled with your standard scart cables (a Wii for example), Powerlinks, power, stand, Digi coax and the back becomes an absolute mess in many cases it is better to leave the backs off.  Where is the innovation with current cable management, and routing through stands, the bane of many users experiences?  

2) Why after spending countless thousands on a screen are some users forced to endure the hassle of either taking their screen in or paying in some cases for the dealer to visit to plug in the appropriate RS232 cable when an appropriate interface and user website could distribute relevant sw updates and PUC codes efficiently.

3)Why is the B&O end-user support so poor and instructions for those who can read so limited?  

• 05-24-2009 5:01 AM In reply to

@ Moxxey

Why don't B&O UK re-organise the trade-in scheme and encourage dealers to promote their 'pre-loved' products either in store or in the shop window?

As Lee and others will testify, running an efficient pre-owned business requires substantial capital outlay, product maintenance and spares stock and the onus on Dealers would be sharing limited floor space with their new products (which will offer a higher profit margin).  

If a customer, for example, wants to trade-in their 7-40MK3 for a MK4 and is offered a price of £3000 for a screen which cost the buyer £5800 12 months ago, the Dealer if choosing to handle pre-owned products has to underwrite the sale, therefore any profit they make on the sale of the  MK4 is retained in the traded-in 7-40 MK3.  Then to resell which may take some time, even to get their money back, they have to account for VAT on the sale so the traded-in price of £3000 becomes, without any margin at all and assuming there are no scratches or scrapes, £3450 for what is effectively yesterdays technology.  In my view, the core B&O customer who uses the Dealer for purchases wants in the main the very latest products and wants to see them in a showroom independently, not competing with pre-owned products; the Dealer does not want already limited space taken up with pre-owned products and significant capital investment in pre-owned products.

Many Dealers use the pre-owned companies to their benefit, easing cash flow without getting involved in capital outlay or storing/maintenance of products, and similarly not getting involved with VAT so a good relationship with any of the pre-owned companies works well.  Separate limited companies would need to be created and registered for Margin Rate VAT.  In this current climate I think the priorities lie elsewhere.  All IMHO of course.

• 05-24-2009 5:56 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

KingOfSnake:

Many Dealers use the pre-owned companies to their benefit, easing cash flow without getting involved in capital outlay or storing/maintenance of products, and similarly not getting involved with VAT so a good relationship with any of the pre-owned companies works well.  Separate limited companies would need to be created and registered for Margin Rate VAT.  In this current climate I think the priorities lie elsewhere.  All IMHO of course.

Absolutely correct. Also, I don't care what they do with the trade-in, but to not accept a mint BV7-40 MKIII is, to me at least, a worrying trend. One of the key reasons I got in to B&O in the first place was that I was told that I was able to trade-in my products at a later date and, essentially, upgrade. If dealers stop accept key products in the range, then the only other option is to sell privately (which is tricky for heavy items such as the BL5, BV7 or BV9) or to a pre-owned company.

I understand the practicalities of taking and re-selling second hand stock. I run a VAT registered business and also trade in watches, which all have to include VAT in the price, even though I'm selling 'privately'. I just wondered if B&O could come up with a better way of accepting a trade-in. Without a better option, I think it will affect their longer-term business. Who knows.

Page 1 of 2 (44 items) 1 2 Next >