in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-19-2009 5:24 PM by timhanna. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-19-2009 5:56 AM

Is a used BL5 worth it?

I know that there has been 1 update to them, have there been any more?

Is it worth getting a really early one?

The reason I ask is, if it is ok to do so, then I can then stop worrying to buy them new now before the 10% price increase and whenever I'm in a better house in the middle of a desert, I can then just get a used pair, which would remain uneffected (to a slight degree) to the price hike?

Tim

• 05-19-2009 6:01 AM In reply to

Re: Is a used BL5 worth it?

The BL5's are definitely worth getting.

If the new price will increase, I'm not sure it will affect used prices. Cause in the end a products worth is what someone is willing to pay for it. (used)

I've never worried too much about new vs. used, the used stuff I have bought have for the most part been as good as new, but at 50% the cost.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 05-19-2009 6:33 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

timhanna:

I can then just get a used pair, which would remain uneffected (to a slight degree) to the price hike?

The used prices for BL5s make them a viable prospect. They are too cheap second hand, in my opinion. Whenever they've come on-sale, they go within days or weeks at the most. Now they'll be £13K from 1st of June, I'd easily pay £9K for a mint second hand pair. They'll only go up in value over time.

Just be careful you don't get a well used pair. ie. that need either servicing or new speaker units within a short period of ownership.

• 05-19-2009 8:34 AM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Beolab 5

Typenr:

688X, 6898

Newest sw is 3.00a

The previous update from serial 19900141- contains:

The mains cable socket of BeoLab 5 has been changed. This has no effect on the specification of the product.

No need for a synchronisationcable.

So you can buy the speakers without hesitate!

Regards

BL8000 MkII Black

• 05-19-2009 9:44 AM In reply to

Moved here >>>

BL3:

• By using the BL2 they perform similarly than the BL9. The BL9 is technically better than the BL3+BL2 but anyway
    • In the future, the BL3s can be moved to the back to obtain a surround sound performance
    • BL2 has the option to reduce the SUBWOOFER volume. Both the BL9 and BL5 do not, so although the volume and bass would be set to low, whenever a bomb goes off in the movie, the whole house (in the case of the BL5) will literally shake.
    • Disadvantage of the BL3 is that the prices of BL9 and BL5 will increase dramatically!

BL9:

• Second best speaker of B&O.
    • Very small (same height size of BL3) and can disappear from the house
    • Most people would buy this new compared to the BL3 and BL2 combination
    • Problem is that when you buy it, it will not be long until you want to upgrade them to the BL5
    • These also are extremely powerful speakers and to put them in the back (rear speakers for movies) is a lot of money wasted when a BL6000 or BL3 is more than enough
    • If I wanted to trade them in, they would help towards a future BL5 since they are still in demand, but regardless I would loose money none the less.

BL5:

• Best speakers of B&O
    • By getting them, there is no other speaker you want and therefore, no more need to buy more expensive things from B&O
    • BL9 are bad in an apartment, but the BL5 would be a complete killer because they are extremely powerful. Once again there is no way to control the SUBWOOFER volume, so a big boom in the movie will definitely cause something to break in the house and annoy neighbours
    • They are also, technically too big for the house. Aesthetically as well, but that doesn't bother me, so in any normal apartment, you will not be getting the most out of them.
    • In 2 weeks, it will cost £12,400 new which from £9000 that I can get them from is a huge increment. The BL2 cost 1200 when it came out new, now it costs 2200 and people are paying 1200 on ebay for a used item! The BL9 and BL5 would in turn act as an investment, because a 2 year old BL5 was sold on ebay before yesterday for £8500. I can buy it new for £9000!!!!!!!

One day, one day, I WILL buy the BL5 for sure :) It's an ambition, my question is whether it's worth getting them now, because every year later the prices increase. In 2007 the BL5 was: £10000, now its £11250 and soon will be £12400.

Now, I am left with 2 weeks to choose :) See why this is such a big problem!

• 05-19-2009 9:55 AM In reply to

You can control subwoofer volume by applying "night listening" modes, where the bass is suppressed. I do that, when I know the neighbours are home and I will be playing something that has a lot of bass pulses. You can either apply Dynamic Range Compression, or various kinds of night listening settings.

• 05-19-2009 9:56 AM In reply to

How and where?

• 05-19-2009 10:27 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

timhanna:

Moved here >>>

BL3:

• By using the BL2 they perform similarly than the BL9. The BL9 is technically better than the BL3+BL2 but anyway
    • In the future, the BL3s can be moved to the back to obtain a surround sound performance
    • BL2 has the option to reduce the SUBWOOFER volume. Both the BL9 and BL5 do not, so although the volume and bass would be set to low, whenever a bomb goes off in the movie, the whole house (in the case of the BL5) will literally shake.
    • Disadvantage of the BL3 is that the prices of BL9 and BL5 will increase dramatically!

BL9:

• Second best speaker of B&O.
    • Very small (same height size of BL3) and can disappear from the house
    • Most people would buy this new compared to the BL3 and BL2 combination
    • Problem is that when you buy it, it will not be long until you want to upgrade them to the BL5
    • These also are extremely powerful speakers and to put them in the back (rear speakers for movies) is a lot of money wasted when a BL6000 or BL3 is more than enough
    • If I wanted to trade them in, they would help towards a future BL5 since they are still in demand, but regardless I would loose money none the less.

BL5:

• Best speakers of B&O
    • By getting them, there is no other speaker you want and therefore, no more need to buy more expensive things from B&O
    • BL9 are bad in an apartment, but the BL5 would be a complete killer because they are extremely powerful. Once again there is no way to control the SUBWOOFER volume, so a big boom in the movie will definitely cause something to break in the house and annoy neighbours
    • They are also, technically too big for the house. Aesthetically as well, but that doesn't bother me, so in any normal apartment, you will not be getting the most out of them.
    • In 2 weeks, it will cost £12,400 new which from £9000 that I can get them from is a huge increment. The BL2 cost 1200 when it came out new, now it costs 2200 and people are paying 1200 on ebay for a used item! The BL9 and BL5 would in turn act as an investment, because a 2 year old BL5 was sold on ebay before yesterday for £8500. I can buy it new for £9000!!!!!!!

One day, one day, I WILL buy the BL5 for sure :) It's an ambition, my question is whether it's worth getting them now, because every year later the prices increase. In 2007 the BL5 was: £10000, now its £11250 and soon will be £12400.

Now, I am left with 2 weeks to choose :) See why this is such a big problem!

Timhanna:

I would go the  BL9 road. Extremely good and excellent value. I would rule out BL3's as rear speakers, they are underutilized in that position in my opinion (I have them as rears and looking for BL6000 to replace them. BL3 should be fronts in a sedcond set up).

BL5 the undisputable best, but you should be able to take full advantage of them otherwise is not worth it to spend that much money.

Good luck

Gustavo

• 05-19-2009 10:34 AM In reply to

Thanks Gustavo,

I see what you're saying and if you have them and are still recommending them, then that means that youre extremely happy with it!

Luckily i still got some time to think about it more...

but they are definately candidates! Have you found this night mode option for them?

• 05-19-2009 11:01 AM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

We just bought used BL5's

I have to say... the thrill of getting a bargain really adds to the enjoyment of the product for me.... also it means the major depreciation hit has been taken care of by someone else, though mine are out of warranty. So if something goes wrong it's my responsibility to pay... but that's a risk I am willing to take, for a bargain.

• 05-19-2009 12:41 PM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

timhanna:

Thanks Gustavo,

I see what you're saying and if you have them and are still recommending them, then that means that youre extremely happy with it!

Luckily i still got some time to think about it more...

but they are definately candidates! Have you found this night mode option for them?

Not really, I didn't know this mode existed. i used the BL9s in a flat and never had problems with my neighbours, probably because woofer facing front not down. I could sometimes push them 70+ in volume!

I live in a dettached house now and have no problem with neighbours.Big Smile

I fully understand your dilema! I'm just telling you BL9's will give you lots of pleasure for as long as you decide to keep them. Nevertheless if your pockets allow for it, go for the BL5's. It's just that you probably won't use them to its maximum! 

Gustavo

• 05-19-2009 4:20 PM In reply to

soundproof:

You can control subwoofer volume by applying "night listening" modes, where the bass is suppressed. I do that, when I know the neighbours are home and I will be playing something that has a lot of bass pulses. You can either apply Dynamic Range Compression, or various kinds of night listening settings.

Hi soundproof, just wondered whether your neighbours have complained a lot in the past??

• 05-19-2009 5:15 PM In reply to

beodude:

Hi soundproof, just wondered whether your neighbours have complained a lot in the past??

No, I've been most fortunate. I have quite understanding neighbors, and then I also time my bass-excesses for when they're not in. I think that with weapons grade speakers such as BL5s, one should show courtesy.

As to the question above concerning suppressing the bass. Some processors have night-modes, and also offer options for reducing the dynamics, or reducing the bass. If the processor or unit the BL5s are connected to don't have that, one simple thing to do is to simply reduce the amount of bass using the tone control.

When I moved from my villa to this apartment, I actually knocked on the downstairs neighbor's door and said that I'd like to set the sound level for my speakers. Looked quite impressive when I could use my iPod Touch to adjust the level and select different kinds of music, from his apartment. And let me tell you, the BL5s definitely can bore through a floor!
    When I got back to my own apartment, I measured the dB-level in my listening room, and set that as the working level for neighbor-in listening, but that's actually also a very nice listening level for almost all kinds of music. I do play my Wagner/Mahler/Beethoven at louder volumes, though.

I also gave them my phone number, so that they could call me if ever they should be inconvenienced. They haven't called me yet. But I'm fortunate, they're away a lot.

• 05-19-2009 5:24 PM In reply to

maybe you cant hear that phone :D

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)