in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-16-2009 4:42 AM by Beobird. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-15-2009 7:32 PM

Goodbye my love?

As I sit here and watch TV (non-B&O) through the Aux port on my BS3200, I am thinking about moving my B&O to the bedroom (ebay?) and investing in some real modern audio/video equipment.  Yeah, sure looks nice and sounds good - but no longer suits my needs, desires, and budget.  Looking at getting the new Oppo Blu-ray DVD for US$500 - hmm, what can you get from B&O for that.....thinking..... thinking.... uh, nothing.  Then what will I plug it into?  All of that new technology going into an Aux port and a cheap switch so I can toggle back and forth between my DVD, my iTunes, and my iPod (forget about XM radio, internet radio, etc)?  Missing out on digital outputs, HDMI, 5.1/7.1/etc.  Sounds like the rate limiting step is B&O - completely out of date, no reasonable upgrade path, compatible with only itself (barely), and obscenely expensive..... for what?  New Beosound 5 vs McIntosh media server?  Or spend then same amount on a whole new system that all works together.... even the Beo4 remote doesnt work with anything else.  Hard time convincing myself that "stereo" is better... maybe I need to go out and buy some records?

Sorry, but my love affair with B&O is falling by the wayside.... and they are not doing much to woo me back.

comments please?

-michael

• 05-15-2009 9:30 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: Goodbye my love?

Comments?

B&O - the Marmite of the AV industry.

I personally love bothSmile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-16-2009 2:05 AM In reply to

Michael,

I have some sympathy for you. 

You lose the term 'love affair', and to carry that analogy on I went through a period of being unfaithful to B&O, but ultimately always came back because it has an almost unique combination of aesthetics, sound/vision quality, ergonomics and sheer pleasure to have aroun.  It is the only kit I could live with for any length of time. 

I'm now starting a small family (collecting a few bits)

Cleve 

• 05-16-2009 4:42 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

It's not funny to say goodbye to a brand you've loved for years, but sometimes you just have to. Just put the 3200 on your bedroom and buy some good equipment for you living room. I can recommend to buy things from 1 or 2 brands. The Oppo is good, but you will have a Oppo remote, a audio remote and a tv remote.

You can also look at a mediaplayer like the Western Digital tv. It's a plug and play machine. Put the hdmi connector in the tv and you can connect a external hard drive or hd-stick into the usb port. Download some 1080P movies from newsleechers and you get the best image for <200 euro's (WD TV 90,- + external 1TB drive 90,- + a hdmi cable).

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)