in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-25-2009 4:37 AM by Michael. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-07-2009 8:15 AM

Old mac mini g4 sufficient as media center ?

Hi,

I have an old mac mini G4 1.5ghz in my office that I have no longer any use for as we upgraded to newer imacs.

So I was thinking of maybe setting it up as a little media center to play some movies and music.
    Is anyone using this type of mac mini as one and if so can anyone tell me if it is capable enough to do this ? 
    Or would the wise decision be to get a new(er) one ? 

Thanks in advance

• 05-07-2009 12:13 PM In reply to

Re: Old mac mini g4 sufficient as media center ?

Hi:

My firend has exactly the same setup and it works perfectly. However, you would be advised to get an external hd for the media, this will place less of a demand on system resources. He also uses this setup for torrenting.

• 05-07-2009 3:13 PM In reply to

Hi Gragham1982,

thank you for your reply. I agree an external hd would be needed.  
    Does anyone know if this machine is capable of displaying 720p content ? 

• 05-09-2009 8:01 AM In reply to

My friend that knows the answer to such q's is away on holiday and won't be back till next week but I can ask him. Until then, the folowing informtion is based only on conjecture, and as I am a firm believer in the merits of CRT TVs I know little about high def standards. However:

Whether it can output 720p would depend on whether it has HDMI out, right? If so, could you not just check on the mac website and/or in an instruction manual? If it doesn't have this option then I would suggest not.

Like  I said though, I could be wrong.

• 05-18-2009 11:25 AM In reply to

Hi,

I have a mac mini G4 1.25ghz upgraded to 1Go RAM as a media center (with extra external HD storage space).

It works just fine connected to a Beoport (with BM-Link) in playing and controlling my iTunes music library over the ML network.

It is also connected to my (LOEWE) LCD TV via a DVI connection and I must say the picture quality is very good. I play DivX thanks to the VLC media player with very satisfactory results. It can be a bit slow sometimes with rapid motions in films. I however don't know for sure if it comes from the processor that is too slow or the encoding that wasn't done properly enough.

Anyway worth a try before deciding to get a new one

• 05-25-2009 4:37 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

Graham1982:

My friend that knows the answer to such q's is away on holiday and won't be back till next week but I can ask him. Until then, the folowing informtion is based only on conjecture, and as I am a firm believer in the merits of CRT TVs I know little about high def standards. However:

Whether it can output 720p would depend on whether it has HDMI out, right? If so, could you not just check on the mac website and/or in an instruction manual? If it doesn't have this option then I would suggest not.

Like  I said though, I could be wrong.

Check out this site for help.  http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=761

I would imagine it could do 720p even if it is DVI (as it's the same signal as HDMI)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)