in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-30-2009 8:31 PM by auric. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-29-2009 7:42 AM

• Andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Melton Mowbray
    • Posts 128
    • Founder

Beomaster 8000

During moving this great Beomaster the glass panel has cracked. It is a friend of mine and who would like to know if you can get replacements??

Any advice /help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Andy

• 04-29-2009 10:17 AM In reply to

Re: Beomaster 8000

You won't get a new one - a scrap 8000 is your best hope though these are few and far between.

• 04-29-2009 2:55 PM In reply to

• Andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Melton Mowbray
    • Posts 128
    • Founder

Thanks

I thought that might be the case. What about a good glazier cutting a new one?? Is it red glass or plain with a film?

Andy

• 04-29-2009 5:15 PM In reply to

Andy:

It's a smoked or tinted glass that is tempered.

The problem is getting it cut and the edges precision ground off.

Most glass cutters I know use a diamond tip cutter and then grind of the edges. This is great for glass tables and shelves but doesn't quite fit the bill for B&O.

If you can find someone to cut the glass properly then it is not hard make a replacement.

Mask off the areas where the digits go. The lettering can be made by using a laser printer on film (Black background with white font; the lettering will come out transparent).

Cut the film and glue it on the glass at the appropriate location. Then spray the entire back of the glass with black paint.

Finally glue the panel to the metal bracket.

The only thing that prevents this from being perfect is getting the nice edge on the glass.

If you can figure out/find someone who can do this we've got near perfect replacment panels!

Derek

• 04-29-2009 5:41 PM In reply to

• Andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Melton Mowbray
    • Posts 128
    • Founder

Hi

thank you. Im a bit confused about the lettering? It looks to me like one pane of glass that goes over the LEDS of volume program etc. Is it just normal clear tempered glass that is sprayed on one side?? Sorry if im complicating it.

Thanks again

• 04-29-2009 6:28 PM In reply to

Andy :

Hi

thank you. Im a bit confused about the lettering? It looks to me like one pane of glass that goes over the LEDS of volume program etc. Is it just normal clear tempered glass that is sprayed on one side?? Sorry if im complicating it.

Thanks again

Hi there.

Yes, just ordinary tempered glass, with all the text & colour on the inside. Do please let us know how you get on.

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 04-30-2009 4:18 AM In reply to

• Andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Melton Mowbray
    • Posts 128
    • Founder

Thanks

still a bit confused by the "text lettering" There does not appear to be any on the glass it is on the beomaster itself?? So im presuming just a colour paint needs applying?

Andy

• 04-30-2009 5:15 AM In reply to

Andy :

Thanks

still a bit confused by the "text lettering" There does not appear to be any on the glass it is on the beomaster itself?? So im presuming just a colour paint needs applying?

Andy

Hi Andy.  

Yes, we're misleading you by inadvertently talking about other B&O stuff that does have text on the underside of the glass.  At least your broken glass is one of the easier ones Smile

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 04-30-2009 7:09 AM In reply to

• Andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Melton Mowbray
    • Posts 128
    • Founder

Thanks yes I think the beocord 8000 and 8004 have text on them.

Weve found a glass cutter who with confidence believes he can match the glass??? So what should be sprayed onto the under surface??

Regards

Andy

• 04-30-2009 8:56 AM In reply to

I've never done more than repair scratches, for which I used a small brush and a tin of Humbrol Black enamel model paint Smile

This worked very well, and was invisible when the panel was mounted back on the machine in question.

I'm sure someone else here will have done a full panel, and can better advise you.

Good luck!

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 04-30-2009 8:31 PM In reply to

Andy:

There is lettering on the underside of the glass. Hold the panel up to the light and you will see.

After masking off the appropriate area and adhering the lettering to the underside spray the glass with a matte black spray paint. I'd use the high temperature kind used for appliances (ie stoves and furnaces) as they are more durable.

Derek

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)