in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-12-2009 6:31 PM by kinban. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-28-2009 12:40 PM

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

BV4-50 MkI D8 Panel HD Ready Bsys3 -- Is it still a good purchase?

Hello;

I need some advise please. I have the opportunity to buy a BV4-50, only two years old (201 days of video usage). The guarantee just expired in March 2009. It has the older flat aluminium frame, the one I prefer. I'm told by a friend dealer that the Bsys3 MkI that comes with the BV is easily upgradable to MkII (new soft and sound module).

My doubts come from:

1. The fact of not being Full HD. I'm not really into Full HD yet, I have no Blu Ray, so in principle no big deal. Can BV4 HD ready owners advise on how it looks the HD Ready in 50"? I know is not an issue at 40" but 50" may be at the limit? My viewing distance will be some 3.5 meters.

2. Price. It will come at aprox 7,500 euro, including Bsys3, DVB module and BL7-2.

3. Additional kit. I will have to buy additional kit along with the TV, as this is a home cinema (BL3x2 with floor stands, BL2, BC2). This will add another 6,500 euro. I believe I can easily sell these via eBay, friends, etc. What do you think?

4. Compared to BV7. In your opinion, how will this TV fare vs a BV7-40 MKIII or soon to come MKIV? Price is important I will have to wait a few months in order to save for the 11k that the BV7 costs. How well these BV4 Tvs age?

I'm set to visit the seller (400 km travel), so I really would like to hear opinions from you Beoworlders. I'll be glad to post pics if I pull this out!

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Regards;

Gustavo

• 04-29-2009 11:13 AM In reply to

Re: BV4-50 MkI D8 Panel HD Ready Bsys3 -- Is it still a good purchase?

Hi,

I have a BV4-50 with D9 panel and BS3 ( I don't know what version the BS3 is though) and must say I am very pleased with the picture when viewing an HD source. There are quite a few threads on the forum discussing the merits of full HD over HD Ready and I believe the concensus is that there is no perceived difference. The differences apparently only become evident when you go to a larger screen. I have not compared an HD ready BV4 to a full HD BV4 so have no first hand knowledge of the comparable pictures, all I can say is that I am very happy with mine.

Regards

Keith

• 04-29-2009 11:27 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Hi Keith;

Thanks for your comment. Your D9 panel is Full HD already, so it should look stunning with HD content. How does it look with SD content though?

Your BV4 D9 should perform better than the BV4 D8 when it comes to play HD, and the other way around when it comes to SD content. But who can comment on how good is the "old" BV4 with HD and if it's noticeable better with SD compared to newer BV4-BV9 models.

Regards;

Gustavo

• 04-29-2009 2:11 PM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

That's a very good price and if you don't like the BV4-50 HD-ready you can always buy the panasonic generation 11 full HD and fit your frame on it. It still is a cheaper solution then buying a new BS3 + BL7.

I also use the BS3 with a Panasonic panel without a problem.

• 04-29-2009 4:01 PM In reply to

• SKApretto71
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Europe - Italy - Tuscany - Fucecchio
    • Posts 66
    • Founder

Being a supporter of LCD over Plasma's... I would go for the BV-7 :)

I should abmit that I'm not considering the price point.

---

Raffaele "SKApretto n.71" Sgherri

I like Chrome and spread it!

• 04-30-2009 4:46 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Beogen:

That's a very good price and if you don't like the BV4-50 HD-ready you can always buy the panasonic generation 11 full HD and fit your frame on it. It still is a cheaper solution then buying a new BS3 + BL7.

I also use the BS3 with a Panasonic panel without a problem.

Thanks Beogen. That's a good advice indeed, although I kind of remember removing the fram from the BV4 is not an easy thing. I think I'll organize the visit to the seller.

PS Looking at your avatar, do you own a BV5? That's my real favourite however is too difficult to find an HD ready version nowadays.

Regards;

Gustavo

• 04-30-2009 4:53 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

SKApretto71:

Being a supporter of LCD over Plasma's... I would go for the BV-7 :)

I should abmit that I'm not considering the price point.

Hi SKApretto71,

I'm also fan of the BV7 itself, however I consider the LCD to be its weakest point. I love its design with the floor stand. Still money is a stopper. A brand new BV7 is not within my budget today.

I would like to see the new BV7 with 100Hz though, I wonder how it fares against a D8 Plasma panel. Will the BV7 blow the D8 away?

Thanks;

Gustavo

• 04-30-2009 10:42 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

From my point of view I would go for it as you get a BS3 and BL7.2 plus (little bit outdated) a screen.

The D9 and newer panaels a noticabe better than the D7/D8 line up. Not sure how the D8 panels was mounted with the frame, but with the D9 it is an very easy task to strip the frame and the case from the panel. just 10+ screws and that's it pretty much! 

So if you are not happy with the D8 panel, a newer one will cost less than 2000 Euro

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 04-30-2009 1:35 PM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Mmmmm... that's interesting Kawo.Hmm

Thanks for your input.

Cheers;

Gustavo

• 04-30-2009 1:39 PM In reply to

i have just sold my BV4-50" full HD and bought a yoused BeoVision Avant 28".

I must say that the television picture are mutch better on the Avant. I cannot recomand the BV4 hd-ready or full hd. It´s to expancive and to bad quality.

• 04-30-2009 3:33 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Which BeoSystem processor were you using?

What was the source?

Are you taking into account sound quality, which is significantly better with the BeoVision 4?

If you're finding a 28" Avant plenty big enough, then you were probably sitting far too close to the 50", and hence the picture will have seemed poor.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-30-2009 5:16 PM In reply to

• Beogen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Belgium
    • Posts 135
    • Bronze Member

Hola BeoBeo,

Indeed I have a BV5 but a home build driven by the BS3 as you can read in next Topic: 

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/10989/83127.aspx#83127

It was my ultimate dream to have a BV5 but with the new technologie around, so I had to make it myself.

Regarding the frame it's peanuts to disassemble and reassemble, I have one at home for the moment because B&O is not making the steel frame anymore which holds the alu frame. My dealer asked me if I can forsee some additional ones because he has some customers who really would like to have a 42" plasma and B&O has chosen not to sell these anymore.

• 05-01-2009 7:23 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

PierreR:

I must say that the television picture are mutch better on the Avant. I cannot recomand the BV4 hd-ready or full hd. It´s to expancive and to bad quality.

That's scary PierreR!

I own two BV3-32 and have been thrilled with them for years. Now my problem is that my living room is much larger in my new house, so the BV3 has become too small. I need a 50" screen, although a BV7-40 might do the job since the floor stand will force me to put it 50 cm closer to the point of view than the wall where a BV4 would be hanging.

As mentioned, this is a second hand BV4, at an interesting price, so I'm not paying the money for a brand new BV4 (if I had the money I will choose the BV9 instead, by the way). Yet I'm surprised you let a BV4 Full HD and are happier with an Avant 28! I'm with Alex that could have to do with your viewing distance however you make me doubt wether I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks for you input, really appreciate it.

Gustavo

• 05-01-2009 7:28 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Beogen:

Hola BeoBeo,

Indeed I have a BV5 but a home build driven by the BS3 as you can read in next Topic: 

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/10989/83127.aspx#83127

It was my ultimate dream to have a BV5 but with the new technologie around, so I had to make it myself.

Regarding the frame it's peanuts to disassemble and reassemble, I have one at home for the moment because B&O is not making the steel frame anymore which holds the alu frame. My dealer asked me if I can forsee some additional ones because he has some customers who really would like to have a 42" plasma and B&O has chosen not to sell these anymore.

I've read your project Beogen that's cool! Now let me know if you ever decide to sale your anfetaminized BV5! I cannot see the pics though...

Thanks;

Gustavo

• 05-12-2009 4:15 AM In reply to

have you see a samsung LEd TV ....

now i remember... few days ago I went to bestbuy

I see it from 3m...1m...30cm.... then I can see it actor's wrinkle.I can count spot on face

source is Bluelay.. tv is new samsung LEd 42'.

I have a avant us...  It's amazing born 2001...still good

I looking for BV4-65.. I found one MK1... I need more information. but......

I think... I give up to get a BV4.... close to tv is still impressive

• 05-12-2009 7:45 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

I don't see how you can loose with this deal.  As mentioned you can always upgrade the panel rather inexpensively and the frame is worth the hassle as a work of art on the wall ( I prefer the older frame as well except for the new 65").

SD content is going to look better on the 720p BV4 than the Full HD (and certainly better than LCD with SD),  and trust me that you won't be missing a thing from any comfortable viewing distance with 720p@50" as the picture is absolutely fantastic.  

I work with film and HD content for a living so I look at properly calibrated broadcast monitors all day long.  It's true that the Avant is absolutely fantastic and I love it in the lounge but if it came between the Avant and the crowd pleasing, game watching BV4 in the living room the Avant would be gone in a heartbeat.

Forget the panel.  You're getting one of the best Plasma/frame/speaker on the market and a video processor/master system that you can build your new house around.

If the panel gives you any issues... toss it for a brand new Panasonic that will be indistinguishable in the new frame.

-Michael

• 05-12-2009 11:56 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Very encouraging Michael, thanks.

As said SD content is important to me seems like the 50" plasma won't be an obstacle there and certainly not a downgrade when comparing with Full HD BV4 plasma playing SD.

The capacity to replace the panel with a newer one and the Beosys3 being modular and upgradable clears my evoution concerns.

I guess this is a no brainer decision?

Gustavo

• 05-12-2009 11:58 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

kinban:

have you see a samsung LEd TV ....

now i remember... few days ago I went to bestbuy

I see it from 3m...1m...30cm.... then I can see it actor's wrinkle.I can count spot on face

source is Bluelay.. tv is new samsung LEd 42'.

I have a avant us...  It's amazing born 2001...still good

I looking for BV4-65.. I found one MK1... I need more information. but......

I think... I give up to get a BV4.... close to tv is still impressive

Thanks kinban. It has to be B&O or powered by Bsys3 which I don0t have yet. Otherwise I won't use my BL9+BL3 lodspeaker arrangement, leave alone the link features.

Thanks;

Gustavo

• 05-12-2009 6:31 PM In reply to

04-30-2009 1:39 PM In reply to

• 04-30-2009 3:33 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath, UK
    • Posts 2,725
    • Bronze Member

Which BeoSystem processor were you using?

What was the source?

Are you taking into account sound quality, which is significantly better with the BeoVision 4?

If you're finding a 28" Avant plenty big enough, then you were probably sitting far too close to the 50", and hence the picture will have seemed poor.

• ---------------------------------------------

I talk to them. 

who are you?

I reply to pierreR, alex.

that is hurt. ..... nwo bvraineeeer!!!

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)