in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-06-2009 2:54 PM by Tom. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-26-2009 12:25 PM

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

King Street, Iconic AV and LifeStyle AV. Thanks from the Clitheroe Museum!

Subtitle    ...and why BeoWorld is the best site, ever!

Please bear with me if this thread is all over the place, and riddled with spelling and grammatical errors. As I type this, I am three quarters through my third day as a non smoker!
    Some photo's you may have seen before as they may have been posted while we were 2,000-3,000 strong. Some photo's you won't have seen.

Those of you who know me, will know how much I love my Avant 32" VCR. Indeed I once commented that, if it were to break down I would have to get...... another!
    On Friday the 20th of March, it happened!Sad
    Straight away, I turned to BeoWorld to see if anyone could tell me what was wrong with it, giving the symptoms on this thread.
    Alas, it was as I suspected, a goosed tube.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-26-2009 12:33 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: King Street, Iconic AV and LifeStyle AV. Thanks from the Clitheroe Museum!

Almost immediately I got a personal message from Dave at King Street, saying that he may have an Avant that I could have for nothing!
    I have had a good relationship with all the staff at the King Street B&O store in Manchester, for some time.
    It was Dave that offered the use of the store for the North West of England BeoWorld meet.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-26-2009 12:37 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

King Street is also where I purchased my Beo5 and collected Peter's. I think we were one of the first Beo5 owners in the UK!
    Here is the King Street store.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-26-2009 12:41 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

....and here is my friend Dave Jennings standing outside.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-26-2009 1:02 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

On hearing last year, that Dave Moulton (who, with his colleague Manny LaCarrubba, is responsible for the Acoustic Lens on BeoLab5s etc) was due to visit England from his home in Massachusetts, I tipped Dave (King Street) off, and we had a great evening in Manchester with Lee also visiting to do a Prize Draw, live!
    This is one of my favourite photographs.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-26-2009 1:11 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

King Street was also the host for two consecutive nights of entertainment last year, that I attended with my friend, BeoWorld member, Craig.
    The second night was with world famous folk guitarist, Martin Simpson. I did start a thread about that, but never completed it (Shame on me!)
    Here is Martin kindly signing his CD for me.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-26-2009 1:18 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

The previous night, it was recitals by pupils from Chethams School of Music, and on one of the nights Dave had a raffle, the proceeds going to Chets.
    Craig put the winning bid in for the 'Spark to Icon' book.
    Here he is collecting his book from Dave.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-26-2009 1:23 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Needless to say, I have a good friendship with Dave, Ian and all the staff at King Street. So much so, that they have included THIS picture on their web page!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-26-2009 1:35 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Anyway, back to the Avant story.
    I rang Dave up and he did indeed have an Avant for me. It was only a 28" version, and didn't have the Dolby sound card or STB controller in it. It was however, in great condition and got me out of a mess. My Sky+ box had about 3% hard disk space left!
    I rented a Transit from the local Ford garage and picked the Avant up the following day.
    Thanks Left HugDave!Smile

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-26-2009 1:44 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Yay - I love these Andy T Stories! Big SmileYes -  thumbs up

When's the next instalment?!!?!!

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 04-26-2009 3:50 PM In reply to

Very interesting Andy !

I always enjoyed reading your illustrated story ....

I'm sad that I can not be part of this, live !

Happy for you standing three day without fig, hope it will be three weeks, three months, three years .....

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 04-26-2009 3:53 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Great story, Andy! Yes -  thumbs up

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-26-2009 5:55 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Thanks guysSmile

Well the next part of the story involved a trip, 100 or so miles down to Birmingham.
    Craig's other half, Carol has been trying to feed me up since we first met at the NW BeoWorld meet at King Street.  It has been a regular topic between us that she wanted to make me a Shepherd's Pie.
    A couple of weekends ago, I finally invited myself down to Craig and Carol's, and took my toothbrush and sleeping bag.
    Craig had arranged to go to a pub where his pal was running a Karaoke evening. This is Craig and myself singing some Everly Brother's hit.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-26-2009 6:03 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

What Craig hadn't told me, was that he had arranged with Jason and Tara (from Iconic AV), that they wopuld meet us at the pub.
    I had never met Jay before, though we had spoken over the telephone once, whilst I was visiting Lee at LifeStyle AV.
    It wasn't long before they arrived.
    What a lovely couple! This is Jay....

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-26-2009 6:12 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

....and Tara.

We could hear a muffled shout for help, but couldn't work out where it was coming from.
    I then realised I had sat on a lady, and it was her hand that was waving for help.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-26-2009 9:57 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Jandyt:

....and here is my friend Dave Jennings standing outside.

Not all that keen on the bloke standing there hehe but that is an AWESOME display idea!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 04-27-2009 2:24 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Well before long (it was a pub after all) we were all showing signs of the over indulgence of alcohol.
    I mentioned to Jay about how kind Dave had been, but how I missed the surround sound from my previous Avant.
    Everybody who has visited my home has had the Eagles demo forced on them through my Pentas and 8000s!
    Jay turned to me and said (slurred) "I might have a 32" Avant with the sound card, I'll have a look for you"

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-27-2009 2:36 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Well, I thought it was just the booze talking, but a couple of days later, I was speaking to Jay on the 'phone and asked if he remembered what he had said.
    Not only did he remember, but had sent me a PM saying that he did indeed have a 32" complete with the sound card, and that I was welcome to it!Smile  I had not received the PM, as he had tagged it onto a previous PM, that I had deleted. (Must speak to Keith about that glitchHmm
    Well that was that!  I ordered the rental van again for the following Monday.
    Monday morning came, and I grabbed my TomTom and my new electronic fig, said goodbye to my beautiful flowering Cherry, and shot off down to Birmingham

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-06-2009 11:57 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Around noon, I arrived at Iconic AV and parked the van.
    Jay was waiting for me and he took me upstairs to meet Tara again.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-06-2009 12:00 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

As we entered his showroom, I could see he had just sold an Avant, as it was sitting there with a ribbon on it for the new owner.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-06-2009 12:04 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I really wanted to see the Avant that he had kindly offered to me.  I presumed it was in the back room.
    "It's this one!" said Jay and Tara in unison.
    Ehhhh, how sweet!  The ribbon was for me!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-06-2009 2:22 PM In reply to

What a nice gesture. Well deserved, Andy!

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 05-06-2009 2:54 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Wow! Nice gesture and a very good looking Avant! Enjoy it!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)