in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-18-2009 4:13 PM by miniter. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-17-2009 4:32 PM

BeoLab 9

Hi Everyone!

I currently have a pair of Beolab 3 in my apartment. I recently listened to a pair of Beolab 9 at the store and it sounds magnificent. I live in a condo and the Beolab 3 does the job but it's not comparable to the Beolab 9. Do you guys recommend the Beolab 9 for a small space or should I just save the money for something else?

Thanks!!

Marc

• 04-17-2009 4:51 PM In reply to

Re: BeoLab 9

I agree the 9s sound great - and I bought them as fronts with 3s as rears for an apartment. If I was really honest though, they probably are a bit overkill. I've since moved and actually have less space either side of the tv so the 9s aren't probably spaced out enough to really hear them sing probably (and have since picked up a wife so turning them up to volumes I used to like is now banned!).

I guess it depends on the dimensions and spacing - best bet is see if a dealer will home demo them and see if you can live without them.

They are great speakers though!

• 04-17-2009 6:36 PM In reply to

• cancan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-15-2009
    • Mexico
    • Posts 2
    • Silver Member

Hi,

I'm in somehow the same dilema. I'm new in Bang & Olufsen and I want to get a Beosound 5 for my living room, bar and dinning room. All this rooms are in one big rectangle measuring 11 x 8 m or 36 x 26 ft.

I was planning in getting 4 Beosound 3 and 1 Beosound 2 to cover the hole area. Then I look the beosound 9 and felt in love with them. Which way will you go? If you go with the beosound 9 will you still get the Beosound 2 subwoofer?

Thanks!

• 04-17-2009 11:20 PM In reply to

In my opinion I will not get beolab 2 with beolab 9s, I have tried it and end up moving the lab 2 up stairs with my other system.

Beolab 9s by themselves produce enough bass for any purpose.

And I would stick with your original decision, and get beolab 5s instead...

• 04-18-2009 3:37 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

I own the 9s and the 3s and prefer the 3s for digital audio and CD playback. However, the 9s are superb when watching movies. If you're going to connect them up to your TV, you'll notice a big difference compared to the 3s. The 3s are fine for music playback though, particularly in a small space.

• 04-18-2009 6:42 AM In reply to

When I demo'ed the 9s I tried them with and without a lab2. For music the lab2 is definitely not needed, but when playing surrround sound movies with deep base (try opening scene to "5th Element") without the lab2s there was definitely something lacking for me at the bottom range to make the room rumble, so I guess a need for lab2 depends on whether you like deep base and watch surround movies - if its just for music definitely no need for a lab2.

I guess there is a question of whether then to go for lab9s + lab2 or pay a bit more for lab5. I already had the lab2 so stepping up to 9s was first of all the (much) cheaper option, plus I don't think I could fit 5s in my flat...

• 04-18-2009 11:57 AM In reply to

The Beolab 5 would be perfect but I don't think I can make the most of it in my current space. My 3s are currently sitting about 4 feet apart from either side of my BV7. The dealer also recommended the Beolab 2s to enhance the base but when i listened to the 9s, they're much better... but that' from listening in the store. If I only have a space of 4-5 feet between the pair, I'm not sure if it's sufficient to maximize the listening experience.

I definitely listen to music more than I watch movies. So the opinion that I'm getting so far is that the 3s are good enough for music? Thanks for your input. Big Smile

• 04-18-2009 12:07 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

The BL9 are supreme speakers for music, listen for yourself. I personally prefer them very much over the BL3. The BL3 sound empty and weak to my ears.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 04-18-2009 4:13 PM In reply to

HI Marc

I have both the Lab 9s and the Lab 5s , in different rooms

They are both excellent but do have quite different sound quality... and price tags

I have been surprised by the quality of the 9s and did audition them in my room with the 3s before I committed. I would have to say that the 9s are in a different league from the 3s and I personally feel that the price difference is justified. 

If you can stretch it the 9s are a re much better speaker and have simply delightful and very powerful bass 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)