in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-28-2010 1:32 PM by gronkjaer. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-14-2009 5:12 PM

• M4SPM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom
    • Posts 38
    • Founder

Apple Lossless and Beosound 5

I understand Apple Lossless is not supported. So I added a codec to my windows media player and can now play Apple Lossless the only problem is when the cover art is added to the tracks it then doesn't play again.

The cover art was already added in itunes but looses it in Beoplayer and when you add the cover art again the tracks won't play.

• 04-14-2009 9:12 PM In reply to

Re: Apple Lossless and Beosound 5

You can convert Apple Lossless to WAV in iTunes. It might be easier to go with a supported format than tweaking to get an unsupported one on board. I went through something similar with FLAC. Got the BS5 to support it, but album artwork wasn't (or at least didn't seem) possible.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-15-2009 12:09 AM In reply to

Also, you may find that Apple Lossless audio files played on Windows-based software (i.e. the BeoPlayer / BeoSound media player software loaded on the BeoMaster) have a slightly inferior sound quality than the supported lossless formats (i.e. WMA Lossless).  Try a compare of the same sound clip in the two different formats. 

• 04-15-2009 12:45 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

I went through something similar with FLAC. Got the BS5 to support it, but album artwork wasn't (or at least didn't seem) possible.

Put a ***.jpg in the same folder as the FLAC files and rename it Folder.jpg

Same for WAV folders. This works for some other mediaplayers. Might give it a try for the BS5.

• 04-15-2009 2:36 AM In reply to

DoubleU:

Put a ***.jpg in the same folder as the FLAC files and rename it Folder.jpg

Same for WAV folders. This works for some other mediaplayers. Might give it a try for the BS5.

I can confirm the 'folder.jpg' thing:

I copied WMA lossless files from one album to BS/BM5. Although I copied the album graphics into the WMA files (w/ WMP10) BS5 did not display the cover graphics. After I copied the folder.jpg file into the albums directory (in BM5), the album graphics was displayed.

One can conclude, BS5's display is bound with the folder.jpg file.

• 05-19-2009 2:49 PM In reply to

• gysse2004
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2009
    • Copenhagen North
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Can somone confirm, that the FLAC and ALAC support is done via the service menu..

I am gettin my Beosound 5 on monday, can't wait. Hope the sound is better then my Apple TVSmile

• 05-21-2009 3:05 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I don't think these formats can be "enabled" from any service menu - you'll need to install suitable codecs to be able to play these formats.

I did post Here with details of a codec that allowed me to play ALAC via Windows Media Player (on which Beoplayer is based) although I have no way of trying it on a BM5. Someone who doesn't mind experimenting (or a dealer perhaps) may want to try it on the actual device. If successful I'm sure it will be of use to lots of our members.

p.s. I have in the past done the same thing with FLAC.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-21-2009 6:09 AM In reply to

• gysse2004
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2009
    • Copenhagen North
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Ok, sounds fair enough. But my understanding of Beomaster 5 was that it could boot up in a windows menu, is this correct?

and if so, it would be possible ( via keyboard and mouse ) to install codec and so on.

Peter

• 05-21-2009 6:13 AM In reply to

• gysse2004
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2009
    • Copenhagen North
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

The most important is to gen FLAC to work ! Has Beomaster 5 WMP10 or WMP11 installed ?

Has anybody compaired the Digital sound between Mac-mini/ AppleTV with Beosound 5, and if so is it any better ?

Peter

• 05-21-2009 8:27 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

gysse2004:

Ok, sounds fair enough. But my understanding of Beomaster 5 was that it could boot up in a windows menu, is this correct?

and if so, it would be possible ( via keyboard and mouse ) to install codec and so on.

Peter

I believe so but as I don't have one I can't confirm.

• 05-25-2009 3:49 PM In reply to

• gysse2004
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2009
    • Copenhagen North
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Could somone please tell me how to get the FLAC support to work on Beomaster 5

I can get it to play in WMP 11 in the windows menu, but not on Beosound 5 ???

Peter

• 10-23-2009 12:01 PM In reply to

Me too, I can get it to play in WMP 11 in the windows/service menu, but not on beosound 5 CD mode.!!

Has anyone yet a solution or maybe even better, a how-to do it manual ??

• 12-02-2009 2:25 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

You can convert Apple Lossless to WAV in iTunes. It might be easier to go with a supported format than tweaking to get an unsupported one on board. I went through something similar with FLAC. Got the BS5 to support it, but album artwork wasn't (or at least didn't seem) possible.

Sorry to ask!. But how did you get BS5 to support flac ???

I tried via the service menu to install a flac codec on the media player, but i could'nt play any flac files.. ??

• 12-02-2009 10:35 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

dkresz:

Also, you may find that Apple Lossless audio files played on Windows-based software (i.e. the BeoPlayer / BeoSound media player software loaded on the BeoMaster) have a slightly inferior sound quality than the supported lossless formats (i.e. WMA Lossless).  Try a compare of the same sound clip in the two different formats. 

That's simply not true unless something is amiss with, say, the plugin.

Both are converted to uncompressed PCM on-the-fly when playing, so if it's installed properly and it's not buggy, there will be no difference whatsoever. They will be the exact same bit for bit and thus also sound exactly the same.

Edit:

Wave and aiff are just containers for the PCM - the raw audio data. The difference is "Little endian" and "Big endian", which merely means that one has the information bit last in the "word", and the other having it at the beginning of the word. Both "formats" (containers) carry the exact same information as does the lossless compression schemes such as FLAC, ALAC, WMA Lossless, and what have you. There is no difference in the resulting PCM, the resulting audio. Any difference you hear is imaginary.

/end edit

• 02-14-2010 1:16 PM In reply to

Did anyone find a solution to play FLAC on beosound 5 ??

• 02-17-2010 6:15 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

gronkjaer:

Did anyone find a solution to play FLAC on beosound 5 ??

You could try searching for a FLAC plugin for WMP. Install it on the BM5 and then give it a whirl and see what happens.

I don't have BS/BM5 and so haven't tried this, nor can I guarantee success.

• 02-28-2010 1:32 PM In reply to

I tried that, and could'nt get it to work ??

When somebody have a usable solution, pls. let me know in this thread !

I'm, as well still working on it.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)