in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-16-2009 11:07 AM by AdamS. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-13-2009 3:38 PM

BeoLab 9, and what happened to the forum on B&O's website?

Hi

It has been years since last I was in here - mostly to ask for advice from some of the gurus. I've moved about quite a bit and maybe I haven't given them enough of a chance, but about 1,5 years ago, I got myself a pair of BL9s (that I use w. a BeoSound4), and after experimenting with placement, position switch (corner/wall/bla bla...) I still can't get them to knock off my socks. I mean at that price they should (RIGHT?), but still... feel somethings missing. Any advice you can give on placement, music, testing?

Space Camel

And yes, what happened to B&O forum? And what's that 3D world good for?
    Also noticed the award show from earlier this month. Cool stuff! Congrats.

Filed under: , ,
  • 04-13-2009 3:45 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoLab 9, and what happened to the forum on B&O's website?

What exactly isn't doing it for you?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-13-2009 4:43 PM In reply to

It is not fulfilling my expectations. It is not playing as well as I believe it should. It doesn't make me shiver often enough. It doesn't move me easily enough.

I've listened to many speakers, and I've listened to cheaper ones that have seemed equally, or almost as good. I guess...

Was just wondering if there were any know issues with them, e.g. related to positioning, cabling, source... etc.

• 04-13-2009 6:15 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Are you sure it's not your music source (ie. your type of music)? Most modern music is very 'flat' and is designed for the MP3 generation. Your BL9s will simply play the music 'as is'.

For example, I own the BL5s and BL9s and are 'disappointed' with both with some new CDs. Not because they are poor speakers, but as the engineering behind these CDs isn't up to the required standard, thus the BL5s simply play the music as it was engineered....with my expecting something much better.

A good example is the recent Duffy album. Absolutely terrible flat engineering used in that CD. Play this back through the BL5s and BL9s and it will still appear as flat as it would played through computer speakers :)

On a sidenote, connect your BL9s to a Blu-ray source, listen to some uncompressed audio and you'll soon be impressed with your BL9s.

• 04-13-2009 6:22 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

As far as cabling goes, your safest bet is '8/8' PowerLink, which arguably does yield sonic improvements (I know there are those that will try to debunk the 'cable myth' and I used to be one of them).

Try and play with positioning. BeoLab 9s (like the other speakers with Acoustic Lenses) behave completely differently to other loudspeakers when it comes to how they interact with the room. They shouldn't be toed-in and while the Acoustic Lens does allow the speaker to sound the same wherever you listen in the room, it doesn't mean the speakers can produce a stereo image from any position. The BeoLab 9s produce one of the most rock-solid soundstages I've heard from any speaker, as long as they're positioned correctly...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-13-2009 10:57 PM In reply to

It's probably also worth noting that your expectations may be out of line with the aims of higher end loudspeakers. I've found Bang & Olufsen to be more prone to these types of misunderstandings than some other traditional audiophile makes. 

If one understands the point of high-fidelity to mean literally High Fidelity (total faith to the initial recording), one tends to evaluate the speaker very differently than one who looks for a sock in the guts every time they hit Play. Considering that the OP made no mention of the manifold strengths of these amazing speakers and only to the lack of "sensation" they deliver, I would guess that I'm probably right.

The BeoLab 5s have always been incredible demo pieces as they dazzle the true connoisseur and shut up the rabble in a single go. To be honest, though, in most size rooms at normal volumes, I find the 9s to be every bit as astonishing.

I'd bet if you add a few $400 subwoofers you'll probably find that religious experience you're seeking!    

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-14-2009 6:19 AM In reply to

Just as a side note, Alex, you mentioned that the BL9 shouldn't be toed-in. What about the BL5's? I have mine toed-in, just out of old habit... Should they be straight?

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 04-14-2009 6:57 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

bayerische:

Just as a side note, Alex, you mentioned that the BL9 shouldn't be toed-in. What about the BL5's? I have mine toed-in, just out of old habit... Should they be straight?

It should not make a difference essentially. I think it depends on how much space their is either side of the lenses. If it is a vastly wide room, them having them straight would be best, but in a narrow room...  I'd keep them straight eitehr way.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 04-14-2009 8:20 AM In reply to

Alex:

As far as cabling goes, your safest bet is '8/8' PowerLink, which arguably does yield sonic improvements (I know there are those that will try to debunk the 'cable myth' and I used to be one of them).

What are 8/8 PowerLink cables?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 04-14-2009 9:52 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

It's the thickest kind of PowerLink (it comes in every box with BeoLab 5s as they don't work without it). Also known as mk2 PowerLink.

RE toing in BeoLab 5s, I wouldn't want to unless there was a wall directly beside the loudspeaker, but I would then be worried about reflections coming off the wall behind the speaker (which would overall be increasing the total number of path-differences for sound to get from the speaker to you).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-15-2009 1:15 PM In reply to

Big thanks for all the input.

Thinking back, it may actually be due to the rooms I've been listening to them in. The first one "suffered" (acoustically speaking) from a lot of hard surfaces, big windows and emptiness, so there was a lot of resonnance.

The other room I do have them kinda forced up into each there corner, but when I used the corner speaker setting, then they sounded all wrong (I guess we just expect too much bass).

In brief, I guess playing more with them will eventually yield the experience I'm looking for.

Regarding source, again, I used BeoSound 4, but I'm got a curious CD player called "AH! Tjoeb 99" which is a modified Maranzt, with an upgraded D/A converter and a tube cd-amp output that I'll run through a pre-amp to control volume.

I listen to all kinds of cds. So I don't think that's where the issue lies, but the BLue-ray input is a good idea!

• 04-16-2009 11:07 AM In reply to

• AdamS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • South UK
    • Posts 72
    • Silver Member

moxxey:

A good example is the recent Duffy album. Absolutely terrible flat engineering used in that CD. Play this back through the BL5s and BL9s and it will still appear as flat as it would played through computer speakers :)

Try the vinyl version - that sounds fine!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)