in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-17-2009 10:52 AM by rayfenwick. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-13-2009 3:29 PM

A car B&O would have made?

http://www.astonmartinlagonda.net/

It would be an ideal car to put custom inline 6 and sts rear-mounted turbo in the back for ideal weight distribution.

• 04-13-2009 3:59 PM In reply to

Re: A car B&O would have made?

ah, the world's most expensive calculator, as it was dubbed.

had a pair. lots of fun!

and i think your subject line may well be apropos... they reminded a great deal of say a bm2400 or bm6000/8000 from form to function as well as assembly.

++++edit++++

just had a peruse of your link... how funny... one of them (and me) is listed in the registry, and i had never heard of the site. i assume they built some of their registry from the AMOC registry?!?! Hmm

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-13-2009 4:48 PM In reply to

Always liked them.  Would have to be an S1 though.. all those LEDs...  mmm  :)

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 04-14-2009 3:53 AM In reply to

burantek:

had a pair. lots of fun!

Weren't they terribly unreliable? Nice to see the not well known Shooting Brake was on the site as well. It was for sale a few years back in Switzerland if I remember correctly.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 04-14-2009 9:10 AM In reply to

beocool:

burantek:

had a pair. lots of fun!

Weren't they terribly unreliable? Nice to see the not well known Shooting Brake was on the site as well. It was for sale a few years back in Switzerland if I remember correctly.

actually no. quite the opposite, considering proper maintenance.

mechanically, they (astons in general) were always rather simple cars. my exposure and interest was mostly from the db5 thru the virage, they could literally be worked on with a set of hand tools. the 8's were rocks and these were automatics -so the trannies were chrysler torqueflites, again rocks. the coupes (had one of those, too) running manuals were zf's, as well as the automatics. they too were rock crushers, but could occasionally suffer from synchro issues. they required a firm but delicate throw, often a real challenge to drive quickly, lacking the gates like ferrari, lambo, etc... which i always felt to be utterly perfect.

electronically, and back to the lagondas, and where they really differed... was the instrumentation. while the primary controls were not really different than the coupes, the secondaries were. they had three different iterations of the instrumenation and really did not get it right until the end, when they had nearly come full circle again and really simplified them. the early models were LED and touch sensitive (similar to a bm2400), next they went to mini crt's from javelin (a us company) and push button controls (similar to a bm6000/8000), last was a backlit dash w/ heavy pushbuttons (similar to ferrari 3.2's of the era). most of the issues you would hear about, and to the point of your question, was always with the instrumention, and hence why there were so many radical revs to it.

the LED version had issues with the LED's and the touch panel going bad. the CRT version had issues with the tubes and had in production revs to them. they had a tendency to suffer from electronic interference (in my case, i had actually considered gutting the CRT's and replacing with a set of Smith's set in a turned aluminum panel, but never did it. it was sorted with a new set of shielded plug leads).  i am not familiar with the backlit model, but have never heard anything bad.

it makes me wonder, with what i have learned here at beoworld (thinking about recent threads regarding the rebuild of 6000/8000 LED's) that the LED version was doomed from the get go, as i am sure the vibrations involved would have really caused problems. it also makes me think that "back to the future" it would have been neat if b&o had done their auto division earlier and had supplied the touch panels, they wouldn't have had any issues! ...oh well.

i'll close with a little bit of trivia... Lagonda, a british company, was actually founded by an american. the name was derived from an american indian name for a local creek near the founder's birthplace in Ohio. i seem to remember it translates to something like: "frothing water" or similar.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-15-2009 5:44 AM In reply to

burantek:

it also makes me think that "back to the future" it would have been neat if b&o had done their auto division earlier and had supplied the touch panels, they wouldn't have had any issues! ...oh well.

Indeed, that would have been neat.   In fact, to me, Lagonda by Towns was more B&Osque than 'Logicar' by Jensen.

• 04-15-2009 5:56 AM In reply to

Apart from the Logicar Jensen also designed the one, which was based on a Citroën XM. Not exactly a looker...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 04-15-2009 7:11 AM In reply to

beocool:

Apart from the Logicar Jensen also designed the one, which was based on a Citroën XM. Not exactly a looker...

...well it was, until JJ got hold of it. The interior work was more promising (if you ever get to see a pic).  The outside was, as you rightly say, a completely different matter.

The XM per se is a gorgeous looking car, especially the Series 1's. 

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 04-17-2009 6:45 AM In reply to

My father still has his XM. He bought one of the last models made, right before they stopped the production. He refuses to replace it, saying it is his dream car : ) A C6 might tempt him, though...

• 04-17-2009 10:52 AM In reply to

Oh I am quite infatuated with Citroens..   I had a S1 v6, lovely car, even Lee commented on it when he came by a couple of years ago....

I have my CX now, which I love, but sadly that too will have to go as I can't take her with me to Moscow...

C6's are nice though.  Those TGV-esque seats in the back are quite wonderfully comfortable Smile

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)