in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-11-2009 4:41 PM by Robert. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-10-2009 8:06 PM

Serenata Hsssssssss....!!!

Hi all, I just bought a new Serenata from a reputable mobile retailer in the UK (Yes B&O have dumped these on the open market and they are now retailing for under GBP 500). However when I got it, charged it up and then played one of the pre-loaded tracks from B&O on it I was so disappointed to hear loud and intrusive hissing noise from the unit. Assuming that there may have been a glitch with B&O loading tracks on to these units, I used Windows Media PLayer to rip the B&O DUETS album, in lossless format, and then migrated these to the Serenata. Same thing, very intrusive hiss noticeable when playing through the on board speaker and even more noticeable when played via the Earset 3 headphones.

Is anyone aware of this as a known problem perhaps ?.

PS: The unit is brand new and was still sealed in the original B&O boxes etc. I only got it cause they were less than half price. This retailer has in excess of 200 of these.

As I am in Australia I am also wondering it the B&O international Guarantee is valid ?

Any views/comments appreciated.

Thanks

Filed under:
  • 04-11-2009 4:36 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: Serenata Hsssssssss....!!!

Have you tried some different tracks? Of course the gurarantee is valid

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 04-11-2009 5:46 AM In reply to

Hi Dave, Yes I did try different tracks. The hiss and static is also noticeable when receiving a call too.

• 04-11-2009 6:59 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

i'd go to the nearest B&O retailer and sort it out via the warranty.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 04-11-2009 10:39 AM In reply to

• grieg007
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Bergen, Norway
    • Posts 54
    • Gold Member

Hi there,

I also have a Serenata and have noticed it makes digital hisses (especially noticable with the Earset 3). You notice this when there is a pause or so in the music, when there is a very quite passage in classical music, or towards the end/beginnig of a track. I only use WMA lossless files so this not the problem and the same file plays fine on the PC in beoplayer or on the BS5. The hiss is similar to the kind heard when you use 64k/128 k mp3 or heavily compressed music. So not sure why this is. Any other Serenata owners have this experience?

Christian

• 04-11-2009 4:41 PM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

peterjacobs:

"I was so disappointed to hear loud and intrusive hissing noise from the unit."

grieg007:

You notice this when there is a pause or so in the music, when there is a very quite passage in classical music, or towards the end/beginnig of a track. 

As a fellow Serenata owner, I notice a quiet hiss during quieter passages of music or pauses, but would never have though it was loud or intrusive. Personally it isn't much more than when I use my Ipod classic. If you find it is ruining your Serenata experience I would try and visit a B&O dealer and use the preloaded music to compare the store demo model to your own. The warranty will cover repair if it is found to be a fault with your own I'm sure.

Btw, I listen to music at 320kbps MP3.

Robert.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)