in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-08-2009 1:52 PM by Dragos. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-06-2009 5:41 PM

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

X-tra active kit with beomaster 5500

Hi, everyone.

I am looking for a way to get the music from my office computer all over the house. Would an X-tra active kit allow me to do that (I'm not too bothered about controlling it from downstairs - shuffle at a party would do it nicely)? Is it the case that if you have an X-tra active kit not only can you plug in local sources to listen to them in the link room, but you can also play them in all the rooms through the main system (mine's a beomaster 5500)? I've now settled on a Beolink 4 as the remote control ... after I go in with my kit for servicing, that is ... dreading it ... if you know what I'm saying ... but then again, I do love the system ...

Thanks a lot for your help,
    Dragos

Filed under:
  • 04-07-2009 6:38 AM In reply to

Re: X-tra active kit with beomaster 5500

There is one problem.

The X-tra active link is for active speakers only! Active speakers uses powerlink connection on the Beomaster. The Beomaster 5500 does not have powerlink connections.

It is still possiple to use active speakers if you use the MCL2AV and MCL2P in a link room instead or connect the active speakers to a Beovision with powerlink connections.

Otherwise you got the X-tra speaker kit for passive type 2045,2046 and 2047 being the latest one which is the most updated version.

The MCL2 handbooks are on site for getting into all the details of MCL system including the setup. You can get the music all ower the house with the Beomaster 5500.

If anyone has anything to ad please do.

• 04-07-2009 1:25 PM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Thanks a lot for this, my friend! You've just prevented me making a pretty expensive mistake... I was partly worried that I would have to spend money I don't have at the mo on active speakers, but I wasn't aware of the ML/MCL discrepancy, too.

As I said, in my ideal world I would just need to connect the pc in the office to the systm and listen to the pc music wherever I want ... I guess the cheapest way would be to get a veeeery long 3.5 mm jack to B&O 5 or 7 pin (can't remember what Beomaster 5500 likes off the top of my head) cable and plug it in the TAPE2 socket downstairs or, as you advise, I could get the MCL2AV and the MCL2P and some passive speakers.

Your solution is elegant - I like it! Could I play the source I plug into the MCL2AV in the local room all over the house rather than just in the local room independntly of the house? If so, there'll be no more questions from me and I'll start hunting for the kit.

Many, many thanks again,
    Dragos :)

• 04-07-2009 2:15 PM In reply to

If it is a matter of just using passive Beovox you only need the mcl 2 A.

There is 3 types of mcl 2 link boxes:

MCL2A For distrubtion of all sounds through passive Beovox and control the system from linkroom. Type 2045-2047

MCL2AV for active speakers. In order for using independing volume control you must use a MCL2P. A Beocord and Beogram cd can be connected too.

MCL2AV X-tra TV kit. For connecting a Beovision and a Beocord/Beogram CD.

You can use 4 units connected together. If more is needed you need the Expander box too.

The MCL2A comes with a tranciver and a relaybox. These can be connected together with other MCL2 type boxes like the MCL2A and MCL2AV.

An mcl cable is going from the Beomaster to the link box and if there more boxes in the setup you put mcl cable from box to box.

The MCL system can be installed all over the place. It's just a matter of locating the parts. They do come up often on ebay and this site too.

Be aware that with each MCL2 you need a pair of speakers or in the case of a MCL2AV X-tra tvkit a Beovision with AUX link.

• 04-08-2009 1:52 PM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Super, thank you so much for this! The hunt begins then...

Thanks again,
    Dragos :)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)