in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-07-2009 2:48 AM by tournedos. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-05-2009 4:01 AM

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

MX7000 and AV sources... I'm confused...

HELP!

Hmmmm I need help setting up my MX7000 that I'm lending to friends for a while.

OK so it has a Beolink 1000, and so far a sky box connected scart to scart to AV1, with that set as V.TAPE-1 to AV1. So they press V.TAPE on the Beolink1000 to watch sky (obviously using the sky remote on the sky box).

NOW they have a little Philips DVD player, which is RCA so I'm getting them an RCA to Scart plug tomorrow. Now the issue is do I plug this into AV2 and if so set it up as what, and how do I get that on screen from the Beolink1000?

Or have I just got the set-up so wrong so far? Erm

• 04-05-2009 4:17 AM In reply to

Re: MX7000 and AV sources... I'm confused...

this is exactly how I set up my in laws, I had a setup menu where you can set the av2 as cdv  hope that helps! Cheers Nick

Just thought not sure how you set that as cdv with a beolink 1000?

• 04-05-2009 4:27 AM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

Yes I'm having issues with it, I know it should be easy but hey! I tried it with a Beo4 but I don't think I saw a CDV on the menu in the setup bit Confused

If it helps it says sw 2.0 and its a beo4 version, however I'm mean so only lending them a Beolink1000 as I don't have a spare Beo4 to lend them Big Smile

• 04-05-2009 5:23 AM In reply to

do you have a dvd version beo4? if not you need to add cdv to the beo4, so you should have cdv in av2 options list. I have the same tv and version the only other way is to link the sky box and the dvd together and use the same scart.

Cheers Nick

• 04-05-2009 5:33 AM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

I've never used the beo4 version of the mx, but if the configuration menu has the same options as in the older mx7000 you can set the av2 as "v.tape2" and thn use shift+v.tape on the bl1000.
  • 04-05-2009 6:04 AM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

OH Cool thanks Henrik, I'll try that tomorrow. I'll go get an rca to SCART plug first, but I guess if that doesn't work I'll just get a double scart socket.

I'll let you know how it goes & thanks again  Wink

• 04-05-2009 6:18 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

If you want V.AUX or DVD for newer MX7000s it`s SHIFT - TV for V.AUX and SHIFT - SAT for DVD on BL1000.

Stefan

• 04-06-2009 3:20 AM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

I tried SHIFT - TV and I got a black screen with no sound. The plug I used was this plug so I'm guessing it's not wired right or something, so what else could I try lead/plug/socket wise?

• 04-06-2009 3:54 AM In reply to

Is the output from the DVD RGB or component (Y/Cr/Cb)? RGB isn't "self contained" as it doesn't carry the sync signal. You will also have to somehow connect the composite video signal from the DVD to the SCART (it doubles as the sync for RGB).

Either way, the MX will not understand component, so you'll have to configure the DVD to output RGB, which is hopefully possible.

It might be easiest to use the S-video connection, it's still a lot better than composite - potentially even better than RGB, since the RGB switching in these televisions is regrettably pretty much substandard.

And a final problem, the MX may not switch to RGB at all unless you also have the RGB switching signal from the SCART, in that case you can only get composite through the SCART adapter anyway. There are plenty of ways to make this simple task complicated!

(yes, there is also such a thing as sync-on-green RGB, but the MX won't eat that either)

-mika

• 04-06-2009 8:05 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Is this something which was carried forward to the MX8000, or did the new chassis bring better RGB support?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-06-2009 8:31 AM In reply to

I dunno - I haven't seen an 8000 in the flesh and never had a look in the schematic, either.

The RGB support in earlier MX/LX's is pretty much the same than any brand of TV regarding what and how you can connect to them, so that's not a particular problem. Maybe even better since all SCARTs can accept RGB.

The sad part is that B&O originally used simple biased diode switches for routing the signals, and they apparently have inadequate bandwidth. By the time the 4000/6000/7000 was introduced - and the chassis rearranged & upgraded anyway - there would've been plenty of cheap and good quality switching ICs available. Therefore the RGB picture appears quite soft compared to many other TVs, and even to the composite / Y/C inputs on the same MX (even if you discount the sharpness setting, which has no effect on RGB).

-mika

• 04-06-2009 5:20 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

OH ok so you're saying my only chance is to not use the three rca adaptor plug and go get the Y/Cr/Cb with Audio L/R option, which would be this one?

• 04-07-2009 2:48 AM In reply to

No, the MX won't display Y/Cr/Cb. You will need an adapter with four picture signals - composite, R, G and B. And even then the switching voltage (SCART pin 16) problem remains, and you will probably end up with the MX displaying just the composite signal instead of RGB.

If getting a DVD player with a SCART output is not an option, I'm beginning to think myself that using the S-video input will be the easiest solution. You will still need the SCART of the MX for the audio signals.

Or just revert to composite and use an adapter with simply video and audio L+R. It's not that bad after all. Make sure you get an adapter that goes from the RCAs to the SCART, and not vice versa - some have a switch for the direction. I recommend a cable with a SCART in one end and RCA plugs in the other instead of an adapter, though.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)