in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-04-2009 1:11 PM by beolife. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-04-2009 8:28 AM

IR sender over cat 5

Hi

Our TV is moving and will be located about 30m from the sky box, blu ray etc.  The ir sender cables B&O supply are only 5m, and I don't really want to dig he walls out to run longer ones (apart from ML, which is already in the right spot)

Everything else is going over cat 5, but has anyone succesfully used cat 5 to send the ir signal back to devices connected via the PUC?

Thanks

• 04-04-2009 10:32 AM In reply to

• BeoLad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-23-2007
    • West Midlands
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

Re: IR sender over cat 5

Yes it's been done!

regards

BeoLad

• 04-04-2009 10:39 AM In reply to

Ok Thanks!

Any info on how it's been done?  I know you can get HDMI senders that also do IR, but I already have some HDMI senders that work fine and was hoping there was a clever way of just connecting the IR cable B&O supply to particular pairs of the Cat 5.

• 04-04-2009 1:11 PM In reply to

you do not need any special baluns IR will happily run over cat5

Easiest way to do it would be to cut the emitter cable in half, the inner cores should be colour coded with red, green & bare cable for the shield/ground, splice these to a cat5 cable also cut in half to the orange, green & green white for ground etc, do this both ends then patch the cat5 to the correct ports, connect the 3.5mm jack plug to your system & connect the emitter to the sky box.

Hopefully if you have done this all correctly then it will work if not you will have to check your connections.

Good luck! 

Simon

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)