in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-04-2009 7:44 AM by damatt. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-04-2009 1:27 AM

• LizzyP
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-02-2009
    • Puglia, Italia
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Crackling S80's

Hi

Having just discovered this forum and although I am technically ignorant, I really want to get the best out of my system - it is such a work of art, it deserves to be looked after!  So here goes

I have a crackling S80 with my Beocenter 7002.  Switched over speaker leads and channels and it is definitely the speaker.  It occurs more in the bass range and when you push the volume past '6'.  Is it to do with the crossover unit?  If so how do you fix it?  I do not know if it is connected but the lights on the front of the speakers have never worked.  Is it just a case of blown bulbs or is it related in any way?

Finally I need to move the system to another house and would like to know if there is any smart way of securing the turntable & arm.  I remember bringing it home and it was bouncing away so much, I fear it will get damaged.

Thanks

Ciao, ciao

Liz

• 04-04-2009 2:04 AM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

Re: Crackling S80's - Tone Arm

To support the tonearm on the deck I made a cradle out of a sponge like styrene / plastic.  One of my decks had arrived from B&O with this packing around the arm and I copied it for another deck.  It is not a hard plastic as that would scratch the deck - it could be made from insulating foam.  Take a square block about 40mm and then cut out a hole (drill) through it at the right height to support the arm.  Take a sharp knife to the side to allow the arm to pass through the material and sit in the drilled out hole.

Hope that explains it - sadly I do not have a picture of the deck anymore!

Brian

• 04-04-2009 3:49 AM In reply to

Re: Crackling S80's - Tone Arm

The crackling sounds as if it could be the actual bass driver. Have they been refoamed? This era of speaker suffered from the surrounding foam disintegrating with time and this will cause the voice coil to be poorly supported and hence the crackle. If poorly repaired, this will continue. You can certainly have a go at replacing the drivers if this is the case. Before you do that however, just check the thermo relay on the crossover as this can cause odd symptoms if slightly corroded.

• 04-04-2009 5:01 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: Crackling S80's

Welcome to Beoworld LizSmile
    All being well, I don't think you should ever see the light on the front of the speaker.
    This should only light up when you have overloaded your speaker. The one on the right is not a light, but a reset button for use after you have overloaded it.
    I would agree with Peter, the foam surrounds of the woofers have probably suffered from foamrot.
    The frets pull off quite easily by pulling them in a forward direction (Don't twist as they snap easily).
    Good luck with your move.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-04-2009 7:44 AM In reply to

Re: Crackling S80's

LizzyP:
    Finally I need to move the system to another house and would like to know if there is any smart way of securing the turntable & arm.  I remember bringing it home and it was bouncing away so much, I fear it will get damaged.

Before moving the system:

1. Remove the turntable

2. Turn the 3 transport-screws counter clockwise to secure the turntable (see picture)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)