in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-31-2009 2:52 PM by Prcssr32. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-30-2009 3:24 AM

• Andrew
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-16-2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 49
    • Bronze Member

Beocenter 5000 cassette deck

Hi everyone

Posting this in the hope that it helps other people out.

I picked up a Beocenter 5000 a few weeks ago, the cassette deck would play and rewind okay but not fast forward.

After digging around various threads I finally plucked up the courage to remove the deck from the unit and pull it down to determine the problem (I am not an electronics tech). Both belts were fine however the issue was dried grease in the mechanism making it hard for it to move correctly.

I have attached a pic of the partially disassembled mechanism so people can see the main cause of my problem. In this photo the belts and main flywheel have already been removed.

The blue square shows a right-hand joint which is pushed left or right, the I had to remove the joint which sits on a spindle and regrease the spindle as the joint wasnt moving freely at all. 

The red square shows the arm which is connected to a jockey wheel which runs between the motor and the two tape spools, this is driven from the right-hand joint and has some grease under the arm, i also removed the arm, cleaned away the grease and regreased it.

There are heaps of other areas in the deck which had dried up such as the little pads which stop the tape spools from moving and really the only way to do this is to remove the deck from the unit and give it a good cleanup. I used circuit board cleaner and a rag to remove the old grease and then a high grade grease designed for food processing machines to re-grease the mechanism.

I am waiting for some new belts to arrive as my current ones are a bit old and would benefit from replacing but everything now works fine. It took me about 4 hrs to remove, inspect, repair and replace but was good fun.

This is a similar deck used in alot of the high end Beocord units such as (I believe) the 8000 so hopefully this information is of benefit to alot of people with aging decks.

Andrew

• 03-30-2009 4:49 AM In reply to

Re: Beocenter 5000 cassette deck

Hi Andrew,

I just wanted to say that posts like yours are highly valued on the forum, even if they seem to collect no comments Yes -  thumbs up

Even the simplest "real life" picture pinpointing real life problems often beats the explosion diagrams in the service manuals.

-mika

• 04-03-2009 7:24 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Yes, I agree. Thanks Andrew, and what a great close-up picture.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-13-2009 9:35 AM In reply to

Absolutely excellent!

2 7700's, both with no FFWD, but everything else ok.  Lots of head scratching until I found this!

Many thanks

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 08-31-2009 2:52 PM In reply to

Thank you, I am 21 and I just got a Beocenter 7000 (my first B&O) and have been working on it.  I replaced the belts and no fast forward.  I was able to clean the deck

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)