in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-20-2009 3:19 PM by stefan. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-29-2009 6:43 PM

• petja
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2007
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

How can i make my TV to be switched off, while i am listening music ??

Just got my BS5/BM5  connected.  i am using BS3 to connect sound and picture to my BeoLab5s and  BV4' 65".

did not really understand  why, everytime i want to just listen to the music, my TV scren is switches ON and BS5 just keep blank black screen.

is there any settings in the system , where i can program to not switch my TV on and operate only with BS5  ??

please help.

thank you,

Vladimir

• 03-30-2009 3:59 AM In reply to

Re: How can i make my TV to be switched off, while i am listening music ??

You cannot.  This seems to be an oversight with the current version of the BM5 software.  The 'dim' picture contrast option controlled via the Picture menu on the BM5 is also deactivated.  The only way to disable the picture on the BV4 screen is to unplug the VGA cable from your BS3.  By reading the above, it seems that is already the case with your setup and thus you are left with no other option but to switch to Cinema mode (doing so will also switch off the BS5 LCD panel).

• 03-30-2009 5:05 AM In reply to

• petja
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2007
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

Oh, this deal looks like an affence again. 

That was the reason, why i  sold my Beomedia 1,  cause i didn't want my 65" plasma always to be switched on .  You can imagine plasma electricity consumption and how annoying it could be , while you are listening classical music and have screen's fan hum in the background...

when i came to B&o store, it was my only question : can this system work without keeping my screen switched ON all the time.  And i've been told "YES!", cause it has Beosound 5 small LCD screen to operate and it shouldn't keep my main screen on. 

Oh my God...  i hate it.   Angry Sorry guys , but i hate when stuff lie to you , just to sell the product. 

shall i call to my solicitor to charge a damages ?!

i definitely wouldn't buy it , if i knew it has the same issue as Beomedia 1 .

i can't express  how i dissapointed... oh that B&O .. why they always do such a silly things ??  do they really thinks , many people will use scren menu , while they have such a nice mini LCD navigation tool ????

......[:'(]

• 03-30-2009 6:18 AM In reply to

I wouldn't quite panic as yet.  There's a process you can follow: talk to your dealer again, explain you circumstances and they should be able to help (via BeoCare or otherwise).  It may not be right now but I am sure B&O will consider a software upgrade for those with a BeoVision 4 + BeoSystem 3 AV setup (I am counting on it also).  The issue is quite a few people have the BeoLab active speakers directly connected to the BM5 unit (black box) and that type of setup (AM 1) allows the music to be played without a complementary TV screen being enabled besides that of the BS5 (and perhaps that is the reason why you might have been mislead that you can listen to music without the TV screen being on all the time).   I am sure a software patch will be provided once B&O realise a few people out there prefer to connect their speakers to the BS3 instead, then connect the BM5 to the BS3 AV processor via SPDIF (coaxial digital) and they just want to play music using the BS5 without the need to turn the plasma on and have the base stand move to a viewing position etc.  Follow up with your dealer I say. 

• 03-30-2009 7:11 AM In reply to

I was going to come out with the same advice as dkresz.

The main thing is to get your dealer to fix the problem or at least try.

Iwould say that I operate a BS5/BM5 in conjunction with a BV7-40. The BS5 is in option 0, (Audiomaster set to Yes) and BV7-40 option 2. I am not sure why AM yes, but it works (and the PCG says to do the opposite).  I find that when engaging the BS5 (like the BC2 that was replaced), the screen momentarily powers up but dims after approx 20-30 seconds to "off". BM5 SPDif is connected directly to the BL5's, Masterlink from the BM5 to BV7-40. Powerlink from BV7-40 to BL5's.

I cannot understand why the BSYs3 in your set-up would behave any differently unless there is an issue with the Bsys3 software rather than the BM5 software - or that the BSys3 does not have that functionality.

Hope that helps

10%

• 03-30-2009 7:44 AM In reply to

I was expecting the same behavior you describe above with your BV7-40 when using the BV9 (or the BV4 + BS3 combo) but somehow it does not operate as such.  With the BeoCenter 2 player the socket box would have sent a signal command to the BS3 via MasterLink (or SCART) telling the BS3 it plays in audio mode (i.e. a CD only) and then the TV screen switched off automatically in 30 seconds or so (and, in my case, the TV stand went in the audio position as desired etc).  I see the BS5 performing a similar function to the BC2 but, for some odd reason (and this could, as you say, be due to the BS3 software rather than the BM5?), it decides to keep the TV / plasma screen on and only display the album art on it (without the ability to dim the screen whatsoever).  The BS5 is setup in AM (yes) mode - Option 0 as described in the installation manual (when it is to be used in conjunction with a BV9 or similar AV setup).  The other two (valid) options available - AM 1 and / or AM 2 - will allow the IR signal to be received via the BS5 rather than the BV9 but these setup modes  are designed for direct speaker connections to the BM5.  One side effect of using these alternatives is the loss of volume control via the TV set / remote control and the lack of integration with the other AV inputs (e.g. switching to another AV source does not automatically turn off the BS5; it stays on, continuing to playback songs while you decide to watch TV for example).  Either way you look at this it requires further refinement (hopefully only a software upgrade) for the AM 0 mode setup types.

• 03-30-2009 7:52 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

When I press N.MUSIC the BS5 and BS9000 will start up. BV7-40 turns to audio position, SPEAKER 2 mode is activated and the TV screen doesnot switch on at all. The BS5 screen will be switched on. The BV7 displays N.MUSIC.Same result in N.RADIO mode.

Same behaviour when I activate BS5 by turning the wheel.

Pressing PC will switch BV7 screen on, - Source menu is displayed - stand turns to video position, BS5 and BS9000 stay switched off. SPEAKER 3 mode is activated. When I choose N.MUSIC from the menu, audio mode will switch to SPEAKER2, TV screen is on. Everything works fine.

My setup is: BV7-40 MKIII, option2, BS9000 MKIII, option0, BS5, no AM.

Hope this helps....(??)

Stefan

• 03-30-2009 8:03 AM In reply to

I want one of those! Smile

Unfortunately, that behavior is not (currently) replicated with a BV9 when selecting N.MUSIC.  It turns on the BS5, starts playing the last track in Stereo (Speaker 2) mode but the TV screen is enabled, in the Video stand position.  Using PC instead of N.MUSIC has the same behavior but the BS5 will not start playing the last selected audio track (giving the user a chance to select a menu option - e.g. PHOTOS - first).  Turning the wheel on the BS5 will blink the red light for a few seconds and go back to sleep... I would have expected it to turn on the AV system in Audio mode (as you have described above).

• 03-30-2009 8:18 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Is your BS3`s sw version 5.0X...? And did you assign the PC AV port to "Beomaster5"?

Stefan

• 03-30-2009 8:25 AM In reply to

BS3 has the latest SW version (5.04a).  The PC AV port is automatically assigned to the "BeoMaster5" PUC under "AV5 - PC" as soon as you connect the BM5 box to the BS3 processor via MasterLink.  That is one of the annoying features of the BS3 as it forces you to use the AV5 input and also automatically assigns VGA as the video connection type (despite the fact DVI-I to HDMI is a better link option that works fine on any AV input but it gets overwritten by the BS3 software as soon as you plug in the ML cord).

• 03-30-2009 9:13 AM In reply to

Gents, I believe we may have found the core of the issue with the BV9 (or BV4 + BS4) setup.  The BS5/BM5 has to be set to "AM = Yes" and "AM MODE = 0" under Roles (as previously described).  However, the AV system has to be set to "Option 2".  In other words, the BV9 has to be set to Option 2 (using the Beo4 or Beo5 remote control) not Option 1.  This was prompted by Mr10Percent's prior comments / description of his BV7-40 setup.

Vladimir, it appears your dealer was right.  You can use the BS5 in Audio mode without having the TV on.  Just follow the above instructions or discuss this with them to enable the relevant setup.

Case closed (at least mine).

• 03-30-2009 10:27 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

dkresz:

BS3 has the latest SW version (5.04a).  The PC AV port is automatically assigned to the "BeoMaster5" PUC under "AV5 - PC" as soon as you connect the BM5 box to the BS3 processor via MasterLink.  That is one of the annoying features of the BS3 as it forces you to use the AV5 input and also automatically assigns VGA as the video connection type (despite the fact DVI-I to HDMI is a better link option that works fine on any AV input but it gets overwritten by the BS3 software as soon as you plug in the ML cord).

Strange. My BV7 has sw 5.02. It is possible to assign the BM5 to an AV port (not automatically), and it is possible to use a HDMI socket.

Stefan

• 03-30-2009 11:17 AM In reply to

This is essentially a classic B&O A/V integrated setup. TV (V.Opt 2) - the "System Master" with full IR control and BM5 (A.Opt 0) - the slave device with IR disabled.

The only extra dimension is the AudioMaster selection. This is I presume for the BM5 to act either as a "Audio Master" like a BS9000 or to act as an Audio Slave like the BeoPort in conjunction with a BS9000 or similar.

In my case, the BM5 is the sole audio source and therefore AudioMaster is Yes.

10%

• 03-30-2009 4:03 PM In reply to

Yes.  It is possible to assign the BM5 to any AV port and connect the video via DVI-I (analogue) to HDMI (digital).  But, if you connect the BM5 via MasterLink to the BS3 it will automatically revert to AV5 / VGA and the option will be faded out on the Connections menu without the choice of changing any of the settings or AV re-assignment.  So, I have to comply with VGA.

• 03-30-2009 4:40 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Very strange. My BM5 is connected via Masterlink, DVi - HDMI, analog audio, spdif to my BV7-40 MKIII, AV 5. I can assign this port as PC, CAMERA, V.AUX2 to all devices of the PUC, to V.MEM, DVD1/2, Beomedia 1, Beomaster 5. And it is possible to choose HDMI A - D or VGA .......(?)

Stefan

• 03-30-2009 4:55 PM In reply to

A bit strange, yes.  It is either due to wanting to restrict access to the BS3 via VGA only (which only allows a max resolution of 1280 x 720) or something to do with the BV9 unit (which has an internal AC socket box)?  Not too fussed about it as I don't use the PHOTOS or WEB function or the album cover display I was glad to get rid off once I discovered the setup problem we have discussed in this forum.  Thanks for all your advice.

• 04-01-2009 11:14 AM In reply to

Hi,

Have you just tried adding A.Netmusic to your Beo4? this will keep the screen off but will call up netmusic through the attached speakers. You can then either step through the music using the beo4 or go to the BeoSound 5 control and manually change it using it's full nav.

This should work unless I have missed something.

Vinnie.

• 04-01-2009 11:52 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

If the option settings in your system are correct, you don`t need A.N.MUSIC. Just press N.MUSIC. This command will be detected as an audio command. The TV screen will stay off, or will be switched off if the TV is in video mode. SPEAKER2 and audio stand position will be activated.

You can use your remote for (yet very limited) navigation or the BS5.

Stefan

• 04-04-2009 5:02 AM In reply to

It seems when the BS5 is used in conjunction with a BV9 (or BV4 / BS3) in Audio mode (N.MUSIC no screen) rather Video (PC with screen on) it uses the MasterLink cable to transfer the audio from the BM5 to the BS3 (i.e. the sound output is listed as analog Stereo and not digital PCM).  Selecting the PC input subsequently it switches the audio playback to SPDIF and it hence becomes PCM as one would desire.  Does any one know whether this constraint can be removed?  Namely, can the BS5/BM5 output in digital when in Audio mode?

• 04-04-2009 1:30 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Yes, in NMUSIC or N.RADIO mode audio is distributed via Masterlink. I think, it`s because of the link room function. Audio in audio mode is ditributed via Masterlink to link rooms, audio in video mode via TV`s RF modulator. But sorry, I have no solution to change this.

Stefan

• 04-07-2009 11:55 AM In reply to

You can use picture mute to mute the picture when you listing on the music:D You can also use N.music or N.radio isted of PC:D

Picture mute is great:D

Andy

Mvh Andybandy - MX 7000 - Earset A8 - (dream about a BV7-40 bluray tv)

• 04-20-2009 2:32 PM In reply to

• petja
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2007
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

Can you please tell me, where can i find that  V.Opt 2 and  A.Opt 0 Settings in my system ??

i found how o put BS4/BM5 as Audio Master and it works ok with small issue : it always switch my BeoCentre 2 ON , while playing to te music.  i can't get how can i avoid it.

any suggestion ??

thank you,

Vladimir

• 04-20-2009 3:19 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

In your setup you have to set the BS5 to NO audiomaster. 

Press STDBY and LIST at the same time and arrow up until the Beo4 displays OPTION.

Stefan

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)