in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-31-2009 7:20 AM by joeyboygolf. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-29-2009 6:37 PM

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

beomaster 5500, x-tra speaker kit, service

Hi, everyone

I've recently got a lovely MCL2A box and transceiver from e-bay as I'm thinking about wiring up a few rooms in my house... I'm a newbie but can learn fast, so please bear with me. I've connected the MCL2A to the 1st set of speaker sockets at the back of my Beomaster, hooked up some speakers to the MLC2A, pressed the transceiver buttons and it all worked beautifully.

Now the thing is that I've been reading as much as I could and in fact for a multi-room system I'm supposed to connect the MCL2A to the 2nd pair of Beomaster sockets. When I do that  nothing happens (but when I connect the speakers directly they work well).  Manual which the seller kindly sent with the kit states that not all Beomaster 5500 have the multi-room functionality enabled. Is that a costly thing to do at a dealer from your experience? (if it turns out to be, I am thinking about leaving an MCL2A and a transceiver in the main room - which is going to cost me a room, but such is life, I guess ...)

I'd also like to budget for a complete service of my Beomaster, Beogram CD and Beocord (they were from e-bay again and I think they would appreciate a proper cleaning; plus the Beogram has a mind of its own and shuts down quite often soon after starting playing...) and if the multi-room functionality was to be done at the same time, it would be great! Can anyone recommend anyone qualified in/around Leeds? Could you give me a rough figure of what to expect? That would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,
    Dragos

• 03-30-2009 5:58 PM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

Re: beomaster 5500, x-tra speaker kit, service

To properly connnect to an MCL2A you should be using the 3 pin plugs that should only fit in the second set of speaker outputs, the first set are desinged for Pentas  

I have never heard of being partially enabled for multi room use.  Which manual do you  have?

Brian

• 03-30-2009 10:48 PM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Yey! Result! I thought the Beomaster hadn't been enabled for multiroom use, but it seems to have been - I was just not pressing the right buttons (a bit hard given that I haven't got a Beolink 1000 either - but I'm on the lookout for one).

So: it all seems to be working well and I'll be off to the delaership soon to ask about getting about 20m of MCL cable.

New question now, if I'm not pushing it too much. Would a Beovision MX7000 work in my Beosystem 5500 MCL setup? The manual mentions I can connect an MX5000 and play musinc through its speakers, but could I do the same with an MX7000? That would save me getting a pair of speakers for a link room (I'd just move the ones in the main room) and I'd get a bigger TV, too... What do you guys think? Would it just work if I hooked it up to my Beomaster 5500 via Datalink or would I need additional kit?

Thanks again for all your help and apologies for the silly Qs (I've been definitely been bitten by the B&O bug and it's super cool to learn from all your discussions).

• 03-31-2009 3:12 AM In reply to

The MX7000 would work just as well.

If you are going to put the TV in a link room then you really need a MCL2AV in the link room and connect the MX7000 as a local source. The MX7000 can be on without the 5500 system.

Regards Graham

• 03-31-2009 7:05 AM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Super, thank you so much for this, Graham (and thanks again for the X-Tra speaker kit ;))! I would only want the TV in the main room and the Beomaster 5500 running the show if that makes sense. It's not that big a house and I'm not a big fan of having lots of TVs around ...

Coudl I operate the whole set-up from a Beolink 4 (comes with the TV) or will I need to get a Beolink 1000, too?

Many thanks again,

Dragos :)

• 03-31-2009 7:20 AM In reply to

The Beo4 should be fine.

Regards Graham

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)