in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-27-2009 11:27 PM by Mr10Percent. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-26-2009 6:23 AM

• Corvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 124
    • Founder

How NOT to present a Beovision plasma!

A few days ago while travelling I dropped into the B&O store in KL (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia). I was with a colleague who immediately upon seeing the display Beovision commented that it was the worst picture he had ever seen.

Upon looking myself I totally agreed. I then said to the sales person that they were playing a copy DVD (readily available in town) to which he admitted.

The sound and picture were disgraceful. The picture was so poor that it hurt the eyes to watch it pixilated and blurred on every change of scene. The resolution could have been half that of SD and blocked up in 5" squares regularly.

Any manufacturer would loath to see there products presented in such a way and being a B&O fan I was in disbelief.

• 03-26-2009 6:41 AM In reply to

Re: How NOT to present a Beovision plasma!

What's "KL" ?!?

/Frank

• 03-26-2009 6:54 AM In reply to

• Corvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 124
    • Founder

frankmj:

What's "KL" ?!?

/Frank

Edited to include - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

• 03-26-2009 10:40 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!! Why is this person working in a B&O showroom?!?! That's a horror story and a half

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 03-26-2009 1:15 PM In reply to

If your a dealer,You would want to show off your Products at there Best.....As you like Custermers to Buy THEM!....lol.

Maybe that day he forgot THATConfused

I'd soon sort that outBig Smile if I was Selling B&O......Now I'm DreamingSleep

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 03-26-2009 3:26 PM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

I agree. Not a good strategy... Hopefully some new mgmt will sort this scenario..

• 03-26-2009 7:36 PM In reply to

The 'alleged' dealer was probably dodgy too! It wouldn't suprise me to find fake Beo products in those parts of the world. Its such big business in much of South East Asia. Hong Kong is possibly the worst place to buy anything as you never 'really' know if its ligit or not! Forget how good it looks, the casing or even any paperwork that comes with it!

Simon.

• 03-26-2009 8:57 PM In reply to

Although I dont disagree with anything that has been said here, I think the majority of forum members are looking at this with a Europhile-tech view and perhaps not the same view as many customers in this region.

Putting perhaps Singapore and Japan aside, your average well-healed SE Asia family probably earns $500/mo tops in Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Taiwan and China. Considerably less in Laos and Cambodia.  There are a few individuals who will earn considerably more, and considerably more individuals who earn less. From what I have learnt from my dealer, is that the majority of B&O customers he deals with prefer Beovisions and Beolabs in red and buy with cash (USD) and no paperwork. They are typically well-placed government employees (police, military, inspectors, tax authorities - if you get my meaning) and have come into a little "lucky money" from here or there. B&O equipment is seen as "elitism" and a demonstration of wealth/success.  I doubt it is bought for its technical cababilities.

Finally, has anyone tried to buy an original/non-pirated Western CD or DVD is SE Asia? Harder than you may think.

10%

• 03-26-2009 9:04 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Mr10Percent:

Although I dont disagree with anything that has been said here, I think the majority of forum members are looking at this with a Europhile-tech view and perhaps not the same view as many customers in this region.

Putting perhaps Singapore and Japan aside, your average well-healed SE Asia family probably earns $500/mo tops in Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Taiwan and China. Considerably less in Laos and Cambodia.  There are a few individuals who will earn considerably more, and considerably more individuals who earn less. From what I have learnt from my dealer, is that the majority of B&O customers he deals with prefer Beovisions and Beolabs in red and buy with cash (USD) and no paperwork. They are typically well-placed government employees (police, military, inspectors, tax authorities - if you get my meaning) and have come into a little "lucky money" from here or there. B&O equipment is seen as "elitism" and a demonstration of wealth/success.  I doubt it is bought for its technical cababilities.

Finally, has anyone tried to buy an original/non-pirated Western CD or DVD is SE Asia? Harder than you may think.

10%

That's a great insight and a pretty good explanation. It may be easy sometimes to become egocentric with our own way of doing things, our surrounding environment and our culture.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 03-27-2009 6:07 AM In reply to

• Corvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 124
    • Founder

The_Beonic_Man:

The 'alleged' dealer was probably dodgy too! It wouldn't suprise me to find fake Beo products in those parts of the world. Its such big business in much of South East Asia. Hong Kong is possibly the worst place to buy anything as you never 'really' know if its ligit or not! Forget how good it looks, the casing or even any paperwork that comes with it!

Simon.

This dealer was positioned in a high end retail centre surrounded by many other top end brands. Rent must be at a premium and what i failed to mention was that there were 3 reps in attendence with no other potential customers other than ourselves.

Mr 10%.......An original DVD would not be hard for a professional dealer to obtain even if it had to be imported!

• 03-27-2009 10:00 AM In reply to

WELL-HEALED family in Taiwan earns $500.00/m tops?  you gota be kidding me.

In the capital Taipei an individual who earns less then $1030.00 in considered low income earner, let alone a family.

I know you get Taiwan, Thailand etc. all mixed up but if you want to put Taiwan in with Vietname and Cambodia you need to check your facts first. 

• 03-27-2009 12:30 PM In reply to

I agree I think we need to be factual when making generalisations. I have lived for many years in SE asia and I am not  about to pretend to know what the earning power of the average consumer is in its many varied cities, but I would like to offer my thoughts on the following.

1. Firstly whoever was responsible for the DVD in this KL store should be sacked. Its illegal in Malaysia (although readily available) and a reputable brand such as B&O should not have anything to do with pirated material.

2. Please, everything in Asia is not fake! The major cities of Asia are filled with flagship stores of the major luxury brands... there is no problem buying original goods, just shop in the right places! In fact cities such as Tokyo have stores that surpass the European counterparts in scale and design! And the likes of Hong Kong, Shanghai and Singapore are not that far behind!

3. Original western CD / DVD are readily available in the major cities. In smaller towns I'm sure this is more problematic though, but mainly because of language / consumer demand.

Lastly, whilst poverty is still a major issue in many of the developing Asian nations, there is most definitely a rapidly growing middle class in most of these nations, with increasing buying power. That is why major brands are flooding these markets.

Laurence.

• 03-27-2009 11:27 PM In reply to

I must obviously bow to other peoples greater knowledge and experience on this matter and consider myself put in place.

10%

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)