in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-27-2009 4:48 AM by Luke . 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-23-2009 5:28 AM

Serene Users. Still happy? Prospects for B&O?

My Serene phone is still working fine after its repair for overheating/ short charge retention. Having said that, I still remain unhappy with the B&O dealer repair (hinges badly scratched and HQ response that they all look like that under a magnifying glass!) I didn't bother sending it back again as I couldn't be without it for weeks and I had an idea that it would come back the same. (If B&O acknowledge external damage on a phone under guarantee they need to replace it, not offer to send it back to the Danish network company (who presumably can only deal with the software/ internal faults unless they in turn send them back to Samsung???)

Serere is best used just as a phone. If you want web access etc get an iPhone. The camera, contrary to most reviews, turns out to be excellent. Good light level response. No need for flash. Oh yes, to use it you need to hold the Serene a bit like an old waist level rangefinder camera..... hold the screen flat (so pictures are portrait format rather than landscape.) No reviewer seemed to realise this because everyone is so used to holding mobile camera phones up in front of their faces. Odd that B&O don't highlight this in the instructions.

Dock retains phone directory content. Another great feature that B&O don't highlight in the instructions.

Phone is fairly robust and has nice tactile feel to it. Worth £800? No. Unfortunately, like too many B&O products, it does not have the technical performance to justify the price. I say this with some regret having owned B&O equipment for 35 years. Whenever they do get something right, like the Avant CRT television, the mass producers are already moving-on so fast that B&O are forced to play catchup (or badge engineer, or should I say case engineer?)  My 1970's equipment looks 100% B&O. Much of my 2000's equipment is too obviously major components by others.

For the time being I remain happy with my phone (bought used, under guarantee). As B&O say that they're dropping phones I guess it'll be iPhone or Blackberry that replaces it once the replacement batteries become difficult to obtain.

The recession is going to expose a lot of B&O vulnerability....... watch the dealers go under and the share price plummet (unless there really is something innovative in the pipeline!)

Vikinguk

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 03-23-2009 6:01 AM In reply to

Re: Serene Users. Still happy? Prospects for B&O?

Just noticed that share price plummeted some time ago!

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 03-23-2009 8:20 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I've had It some time now, dropped it ALOT! (bought it brand new) I'm in despair that it's been discontinued, but they've kept the rubbish beosound 6 and also serenata?! I'll be sourcing a second hand serene when this phone dies, it's the first phone i've had that has not malfunctioned and it is by far the best looking phone on the market still! 2005 > and still very much ahead of it's time.

It makes calls and sms, that's all. Perfect!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 03-23-2009 11:00 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Still very happy with Serene! Use it daily as my 'personal' phone. Syncs with our home beocom system, which is useful. Also just love the design and tactile quality, still very rare and always attracts attention - people just love it. Doesn't matter that it's made by Samsung; it's a proper piece of David Lewis B&O design.

If it's true that they have discontinued Serene, that's a shame but I can understand the need for focus. If it's true that they are keeping BeoSound 6 (which is also Samsung, but this time a Samsung design, too!) then that is depressing.

As for their prospects, B&O seem to have bet the farm (pun intended!) on their new 'iPod Touch on a stick'. Which is also depressing.

• 03-23-2009 11:40 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Greg:

As for their prospects, B&O seem to have bet the farm (pun intended!) on their new 'iPod Touch on a stick'. Which is also depressing.

Whoa, ease up turbo. BeoSound 5 is a break through for B&O, and will no doubt earn accolades

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 03-26-2009 1:24 PM In reply to

Dave:

It makes calls and sms, that's all. Perfect!

ditto...

i will likely buy 1 or 2 more as spares.

i have a crackberry as well, but oddly no iphone -much to the dismay of all who get my "apple fanboy" rants rammed down their throats...

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-26-2009 7:02 PM In reply to

I bought a second-hand Serene recently and I do love it a lot. Its funny but the few times I have taken it into a mobile phone shop they always refer to it as a Samsung model - the Samsung Serene. Not once are the words Bang & Olufsen ever mentioned.

Earlier this evening I called my network provider O2 to check that the phone would work abroad (I am in Holland for a week then Thessaloniki in Greece for a couple of weeks in May for those who remember I am in need of a good break!) The customer service representative asked for the model 'number' of my phone? "Serene" I said. He was lost and didn't have a clue what I was talking about. "WHAT'S THE NUMBER?" he said. ".here isn't one" I said, "...its just called a Serene." "Who makes it?" ... "Bang & Olufsen..." "WHO? Wait please while I get my manager..." A good 5 or 6 mintes pass and he comes back with this response, "Hi, sorry to have kept you on hold. Yes, I have located the phone, its made by Samsung but I don't think its a very popular phone" !!!

Now, there is a great example of whay I don't like B&O labelling their products with Samsung! Bottom line though, it is a great phone and for reasons that Dave mentioned, I also bought it because of its simplicity and design. I don't need (or want) anything more that texts and calls from a phone. I love the phonebook integration when its back on it charger, that is a defining B&O point. Just a shame I got it the wrong way round when I first tried syncing and I lost my entire phone entries from all phones including the Serene!

Cheers,
    Simon.

• 03-26-2009 10:28 PM In reply to

• Hooper
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Cato Neimoidia
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

I must've dropped my Serene at least 6 times now and the corners are looking a little worn, and the hinge is scratched. I've flirted with the idea of purchasing a Serenata but at the end of the day, my Serene still makes me happy (dented and all) and I'm more likely to pay the outrageous service/part fee of getting a new case than use any other phone than the Serene.

So yes, still very happy.

• 03-27-2009 4:27 AM In reply to

• PentaIII
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-26-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

I bought mine new at the end of last year and its been great so far, it does everything I want.  I'm not a text junkie so the key layout isn't an issue for me.  I bought a leather case from Piel Frama the other month and couldn't be happier with it, much better value than the nomade leather case by LV.

• 03-27-2009 4:48 AM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

I bought a used Serene then sold my new iPhone. I got sick of everyone sitting at restaurants and playing with their iPhones .... showing each other new applications etc. I tried the Serene for a bit .... liked it so sold the iPhone.

The best thing about it is not many people have one and it's quite nice to use. (Except for texting between 2 languages, which the iPhone was really good at ) but I hate texting anyway.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)