in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-25-2009 1:54 PM by blong. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-20-2009 8:08 AM

• Xeofree
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-15-2009
    • Denmark, Aalborg
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Beocenter 2200, low output and no sound from the phonograph

Hi All!

I though this must be the right kind of place to write! - hope you can help me.

I have got my hands on a Beocenter 2200, but I have some problems with it. These are the diagnostics:

- When I play the radio and turn the volume all the way up, the output is very low (Just below what you would call normal listening volume)

- The phonograph doesn't make any sound at all (But I can hear the record playing down by the pick-up:) )

The pick-up seems fine, but I thought all this could maybe have something to do with the amplification of some sort, since the volume is so low?

Someone know, what these things can be, and how I can find out? 

• 03-20-2009 1:10 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beocenter 2200, low output and no sound from the phonograph

Hi and welcome to Beoworld !  Yes -  thumbs up

I would suspect aging capacitors in the preamp section(s). I've seen several
    cases lately of this, especially the type of small capacitors mounted near the
    round cutout for the dial wheel (and other places) seems prone to failure.

Martin

• 03-21-2009 8:11 AM In reply to

• Xeofree
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-15-2009
    • Denmark, Aalborg
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Okay, Is there any way to find out which and get some new

• 03-21-2009 11:49 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Yes, put an oscilloscope to the signal path and note where the signal is lost. It will also tell you if it is indeed a
    capacitor problem or something else.
    Any good electronic parts store will have suitable capacitors.

Martin

• 03-21-2009 3:42 PM In reply to

• blong
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-20-2009
    • Posts 47
    • Silver Member

Hi there = Martin is quite correct. Electrolytic caps are notorious for cockin things up - if u can get hold of a capacitance ESR meter just go round the lot and change all the ones that seem dodgy  - its best to change as many as u can as this saves trouble again later - they are cheap enough. Always replace with 105 degree types  Caps will often read OK capacitance measurement-wise, which is misleading.  The surest way is to heave them out and send them off to a well known resting place in the sky! Good luck - keep us posted = Brian (Northumberland)

• 03-24-2009 5:14 PM In reply to

• Xeofree
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-15-2009
    • Denmark, Aalborg
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Okay, thank you for all the helpfull comments - I think what I will do is simply to remove all the caps and replace them. Not sure which or where to buy just yet. What do you mean by '105 degree types' Blong?

• 03-25-2009 5:44 AM In reply to

• blong
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-20-2009
    • Posts 47
    • Silver Member

Hello again = The existing elecrolytic caps in your equipment are nearly sure to be rated at 85 degrees.  The 105 types are superior and will stand the hot environment that sometimes exists in electronic equipment better than the others.  It is generally agreed amongst service techs to replace with 105s.  Most electronic retailers will sell a vast range of capacitors, such as Maplin Electronics, CPC etc.  If you are not very experienced in this type of work perhaps you can get someone to help.  The ESR meter is a wonderful aid to diagnosis - keep a lookout for non-polarised electrolytics.  Without doubt, electrolytics are the most troublesome components in electronic equipment. Keep us updated = Brian (Northumberland)

• 03-25-2009 1:54 PM In reply to

• blong
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-20-2009
    • Posts 47
    • Silver Member

Hi again = I have recently overhauled a BC2200 but it was all mechanical, the electronic ccts being ok - they are good to work on, as all the parts are easily accessible - live if u need to!  It is difficult to know what advice I could give, as I do not know your technical ability. Martin might be able to be specific with his experience - I can generalise.  If you can read the cct diagrams, all the tech info is there in the BEO Service Manual - you can get to it via the Products and follow the links.  If you are able to signal trace, that could be the shortest way for you eg can you hear a hum in the speaker(s) when you put a damp finger on the pick-up stylus? In general, looking at the cct diagram   there is a lot of electrolytic caps - as well as the other types. If you are able. check for the correct voltages at some of the key caps. Start in the PSU and work thru to the amplifier section.  Also look for dry solder joints  - if you see one, you'll know! One word of caution - be very careful working on live PSU ccts where fairly high voltages are present - also in the amp. section.  If you  decide to start changing caps, try the easy ones first and take it step by step - presume you have plenty of time!! = Brian (N'th'land)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)