in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-22-2009 6:02 AM by Burnix. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-17-2009 9:43 AM

Beocom 1 turns on then instantly turns off without any alerts!

I bought my Beocom 1 in 2004, started acting funny, replaced battery this weekend, still acting funny.

Basically, when I turn it on, it says powering on, then immediately powers off afterwards, without allowing me to control it.

I should mention this was never dropped or anything, so I am unsure what would cause this.

Beocom 1

Then within less than a second, it turns off and shows this.

Beocom 1 off

Filed under:
  • 03-17-2009 12:07 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: Beocom 1 turns on then instantly turns off without any alerts!

Hi Beosaab, and a warm welcome to BeoworldSmile

Did you remember to 'tell' your handset that it had a new battery, by pressing 9#9#9*655 then OK?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-17-2009 12:44 PM In reply to

Andy,

Thanks. Good question. I just tried sequence that while the phone was off, because that's the only status effectively that the phone has at this time.

What happened when I did that was that it turned on, then within a nanosecond, went to power off... again..

Hmm. I know the phone is not broken, but it feels like it's in some status of always wanting to turn off like it has a memory of how many times someone hits the center okay button..perhaps someone hit it 1,000 times and it's just remembering it?

So, in order to escape from this sequence, I need to keep doing this 998 times?

Any other ideas?

• 03-17-2009 3:35 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

OK, first we need to know if your charger is charging.
    With the handset off, place it in the charger. The LED on the back of the handset should flash two or thee times as the handset swithes on.
    Don't forget that your brand new battery may have had no charge at all in it when you got it.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-17-2009 3:48 PM In reply to

Good call. It's totally turned off now, because it usually just sits for hours in the "powering off." stage indefinately until you hit the okay button once to end all power.

I have now placed it on the charger, it's blinking like it's charging. I'll leave it there all tonight and tomorrow morning and report back to you.

In the meantime, any other ideas? It just doesn't seem broken, it seems like it has "wierd behavior".Smile

• 03-17-2009 4:05 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Ok , good. The charger is working.
    I would suggest that in half an hour, there should be enough charge in it to stay on long enough to do the 9#9#thingy again. Then leave it on charge overnight.
    Good luck.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-18-2009 6:49 AM In reply to

I think you have a faulty front keypad.Its holds down the ok,and thats why it turns on and off quickly.

• 03-18-2009 9:36 AM In reply to

If that's the case, and that's an if, how does one replace that keypad electronic pad beneath everything?

Surface 1 - plastic individual keys

Surface 2 - Rubber insulator

Surface 3 - Electronic Key pad made of thin plastic (where do I get a replacement?)

• 03-18-2009 10:00 AM In reply to

It comes as a complete unit.I'm sorry to say you'll have to go to your B&O dealer to get it fixed.

• 03-18-2009 4:00 PM In reply to

That's if and only if the unit is actually broken.

• 03-18-2009 5:17 PM In reply to

Are you sure that you have purchased the correct battery ?

The battery should say on it SANYO Ni-MH model 3HR-AAAU 3.6v

There are similar batteries which are 3.6 volts but have a different charge/discharge rating.

Regards Keith....

• 03-18-2009 5:25 PM In reply to

Keith,

I bought it at a Bang & Olufsen store, so I am unsure it would be the wrong one, all connected and worked fine.

• 03-19-2009 10:12 AM In reply to

• Burnix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

blacktony:

I think you have a faulty front keypad.Its holds down the ok,and thats why it turns on and off quickly.

Actually the OK button is the only key which is not part of the front so there is no need of buying a new front. It is a small button placed directly on the PCB and I agree with you that the OK key is the problem. But I don't think it is the button itself that is broken.. I think it is the PCB itself that has a bad connection causing this problem - I have experienced that before.

Br,
    Burnix

• 03-20-2009 5:00 AM In reply to

Your correct Burnix,But i've had this problem with other beocom's its normally the keypad but it could be the pcb.Don't think its the battery.

Tony

• 04-06-2009 6:37 PM In reply to

So I want this pcb and/or the actual keypad replaced on the phone, how does one do that and where do you send it to, etc?

Do I sent everything? Contact, addresses for Bang & Olufsen in the United States?

I'm tired of this phone just sitting here..

• 04-07-2009 2:30 AM In reply to

Based on this thread the phone clearly has a fault which is most likely to be the front panel, but could also be the module which the front panel is connect too.

The Beocom 1 is a North American product and so you should take it to a US B&O store, if there is one near you or post it if not after contacting the nearest dealer/service centre.

If you are a semi-technical person who is willing to get a new front panel and fit it yourself, then that is a good option. A replacement front panel will be around $30

As you appear to be in the US I suggest you contact B&O's national office at

Bang & Olufsen America, Inc.
    780 West Dundee Road
    60004 Illinois
    Phone +1 847 590 4900

And ask them for details of your nearest service centre or dealer.

Regards Keith....

• 04-07-2009 9:41 AM In reply to

Thanks for your response.

I think it's the electronics though, don't you think? Why don't I just send the entire handset to them and have them replace that?

Of course, I have to send them the other 2 components of the phone so that they can "marry" the new headset with the base, etc.  though.

R

• 04-07-2009 9:56 AM In reply to

Given that B&O stopped manufacturing Beocom 1's at the end of 2003, so there is no warranty involved, you should call them for a price to fix it as they will not replace it unless you pay for a new one.

You will not need to send the base, it can be repaired and tested without your base.

However, if the electronics is at faulty, B&O no longer have spares for these and it would have to be upgraded to the current version.

Regards Keith....

• 04-07-2009 10:09 AM In reply to

I bought my B&O Beocom 1 phone in 2004, I am surely hoping they can fix this unit at this time, I paid $600 USD for the whole thing and it has not been functioning for 6-months now.

I hope they don't charge much here...

• 04-07-2009 1:42 PM In reply to

For the record folks, there are plenty of spare parts for the BeoCom1 I just spoke with a rep in the North East of the United States and will only pay about $90 for everything replaced for the handset, just mailed it today to them!

There are plenty of parts available, so I'm not sure where you are hearing about that.

• 04-22-2009 6:02 AM In reply to

• Burnix
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-10-2008
    • Denmark
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

Keith, the Beocom 1 is still being sold in the US (since 2003) as a replacement of the old BC6000 US which was produced until 2003. I believe you have mixed up the two products.

Best,
    Burnix

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)