in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-12-2009 10:54 AM by TWG. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-16-2009 5:12 PM

BS5: CDs from various artists - how tagging it that it keeps trackno and the same album

our new bs5/bm5 has been installed today. after reading 10%'s first impressions - thank you so much for sharing your experiences - I imported all the cd's lossless via WMP. WMP shows all the cd's especially those from various artists (cd-samplers?) like soundtracks perfect. all tracks belong to the same cd, the tracks are sorted by track-no, the files named in the format "artist - title".

BS5 provides a complete other experience - albums are multiple displayed in the cover or album section. after opening/selecting a soundtrack-cd, the tracks where neither complete nor in the right order - strange.

I suppose, BS5 sorts different than WMP. Does anyone know how to tag or rename wma-files, urging BS5 to keep WMPs sorting order?

Filed under: , ,
  • 03-16-2009 9:29 PM In reply to

Re: BS5: CDs from various artists - how tagging it that it keeps trackno and the same album

Hi,

I have had the same issue with all media players as you describe above. I have now decided on a definative (for me) file naming system to largely overcome this issue - although at a price:-

I use the following nomclementure when tagging files in WMA:-

1.  Albums are as stored in folders i.e. C:\Music\Various Chill\Chillout Lounge Vol1 \ Tracks1...n

2. In WMP, Album Artist is tagged as "Various Chill"

3. In WMP, Artist is tagged as "Various Chill" (this is because a lot of compilations for me seem to have twenty artists associtated which really messes the groupings up.

4. In WMP simplify Genre (although BS5 does not use this tag, I keep it down to 12 or so groups.

Some information is lost, but for me, the importance of playing albums - as the CD was cut is paramount.

This solves all my filing probles with all MP3 players I have ever used.

10%

• 03-18-2009 1:48 AM In reply to

Re: BS5: CDs from various artists - how tagging it that it keeps trackno and the same album

@10%,

again, thank you for sharing your experience.

Yesterday, I"ve made a little research on how BS5 displays (=uses the tags of) cd-samplers:
    BS5 has a very strange sorting order... within its groups "album" and "cover" it sorts by the wma-tag "contributing artist", and not by "album artist" which results in a huge mess of double/multiple album entries.

Unlike WMP, BS5 does not support common 1:n relationships (1 Album : n Artists) when grouping by albums or covers.

The workaround - as you described - costs its price: once you replace the "contributing artists" tag with the "album artist" tag, you are one logical step away from finding one track of a special artist which was sold on a cd-sampler.

I'm very unhappy with this...
    One should know if the cleanup of the a.m. "logical potential" is on B&O's todo-list. A possible workaround which should help to keep the "contributing artist" information might be the following workflow (using a tag-editor:

1. copy "contributing artist" to any other unused tag field (maybe: "composer")

2. copy "album artist" to "contributing artist"

3. copy the tracks/albums to BS5

once B&O matches the a.m. logical relationships between artists and albums, the contributing artist might be copied from its parking position back to its native tag field in one simple batch process.

• 03-18-2009 5:46 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Do you know if there are the same troubles when you're using BeoPlayer ?

I think despite the long time it takes to copy the music, it could be the only solution to find correct tags ?

• 03-18-2009 5:47 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Anyone tried iTunes ?

• 03-18-2009 6:06 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

If I understand the question correctly, iTunes has a checkbox which when checked identifies all tracks as part of a compilation album and so keeps them all together and plays them in the correct order, whilst maintaining the artist's different names.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-18-2009 6:27 AM In reply to

@ steph:

BS5 supports WMA lossless, itunes does not (as far as I know)

Beoplayer provides real poor functionality, especially when transferring multiple albums to BS5.
    But - I tried to transfer one sampler to BS5 via Beoplayer. And yes - same outcome.

• 03-18-2009 9:41 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

OK vogelr, thanks.

• 05-04-2009 6:11 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Hi, I have the same bad problem:

Samplers with multiple artists are showing up as multiple albums, mulitple covers etc. I have one album but 10 covers etc.

I'm VERY UNHAPPY with this, as every 40,- Euro MP3 player does sort correctly based on ID3 tags.

It only seem to work if an album has just ONE artist.

This is realy embarassing for Bang & Olufsen and a 5000 Euro Soundsystem!

I'm gonna experiment to find out how I can solve this problem.

Btw it is VERY easy to copy all files to your system: Just enter service mode, enter the windows desktop, connect an external USB harddisk and a mouse and copy your music inside the "music" folder on the Beomaster 5.

Easy and fast.

• 05-05-2009 10:02 PM In reply to

Puncher:

If I understand the question correctly, iTunes has a checkbox which when checked identifies all tracks as part of a compilation album and so keeps them all together and plays them in the correct order, whilst maintaining the artist's different names.

Correct :)

Although sometimes the details from Grace Notes do not have "compilation" ticked.

Like everyone else here, I have had to tweak my tags to get the results I want ... which include playing by "composer" when I am in that sort of mood ... and SWMBO likes to select "Puccini" for example ... so what is most desireable is a flexible system for sourcing, editting, and then using the tags.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-06-2009 1:12 AM In reply to

we got the problem with multiple entries for the same album (esp. sampler-cds) solved...

reason was the old bs/bm5 software version:
    it grouped tracks by "interpret" while the new software version (v5.00) groups it by "album interpret".

• 05-06-2009 2:56 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

elephant:

SWMBO likes to select "Puccini" ...

That's my Italian cousin!Wink

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 05-06-2009 6:02 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

vogelr:

we got the problem with multiple entries for the same album (esp. sampler-cds) solved...

reason was the old bs/bm5 software version:
    it grouped tracks by "interpret" while the new software version (v5.00) groups it by "album interpret".

Could you explain this a little bit more? Do you mean the software update for the Beomaster 5 / Beosound 5 provided via internet or a software on the host computer (Mac/PC)?

Now you see just ONE album even if it is a sampler, soundtrack or s.th. else?

This would save a lof of work :-)

What if NO album interpret is existing? Does it sort the music correct?

And can someone confirm a bug in the player software?
    If you choose e.g. "Track 3" of album x I am NOT able to skip to the next track of the album - it's like "repeat one".

Do you have the same problem?

Thank you

• 05-07-2009 2:45 AM In reply to

TWG:

Could you explain this a little bit more? Do you mean the software update for the Beomaster 5 / Beosound 5 provided via internet or a software on the host computer (Mac/PC)?

Our Dealers' technician updated BS/BM5 to SW v5.0

TWG:

Now you see just ONE album even if it is a sampler, soundtrack or s.th. else?

yepp, one album per album - works even for sampler cds

TWG:

What if NO album interpret is existing? Does it sort the music correct?

by default, all our sampler cds with mutliple interprets are tagged "various artists" in album interpret

TWG:

And can someone confirm a bug in the player software?
    If you choose e.g. "Track 3" of album x I am NOT able to skip to the next track of the album - it's like "repeat one".

its not a bug, its a feature ;-))

my experience is

1. if I'd like to hear the entire album, choose the album 

2. if I'd chosen a special track, MOTS starts after BS5 played the chosen track (but this works only if BS5/BM5 had enough time to analyse the track. if I'd copied a new album from the host pc to BS5/BM5 recently, MOTS does not work until the track is analyzed.

• 05-07-2009 5:13 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Thank you very much for your helpful answer!

So it's time to connect that thing to the internet and update its software.

• 05-08-2009 3:18 AM In reply to

I was told this week that the BM5 is updated via the internet twice a week ... I hope that is just the planned schedule and not reality !

Anyway, if I had a BM5 I would simply have it permantely connected ...

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-09-2009 6:08 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Hmm, it seems as vogelrs Beosound 5 seems to be ahead of time.

My Beomaster 5 installed a softwareupdate yesterday and now it says Version 4.x in service mode ...

The problem is solved partially: Some albums show up repeatedly in album and cover mode and some don't!?

I'm experimenting (right word?) with it ...

• 05-09-2009 6:44 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

It's worth noting that it's not updated twice a week, but it checks for updates twice a week.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-11-2009 8:31 AM In reply to

TWG:

Hmm, it seems as vogelrs Beosound 5 seems to be ahead of time.

My Beomaster 5 installed a softwareupdate yesterday and now it says Version 4.x in service mode ...

The problem is solved partially: Some albums show up repeatedly in album and cover mode and some don't!?

I'm experimenting (right word?) with it ...

info: our BM5 updated from SW v5.00 to v5.01 last week

• 05-11-2009 1:00 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

it's not possible for me:

I connected it to the internet today and checked manualy for new software in the service menu: No new software available!

Beomaster / Beosound Software is still 4.x

Does anyone else have the same problem?

• 05-11-2009 1:55 PM In reply to

Dear TWG,

Are you sure that you are not confusing the top line of the list of the menu which is ' BS5/BM5 Application 4.01.xx.xxxx' with the 'BM5 OS Update' at the bottom of the list which shows the operating system update which currently is 5.01

Kind regrards

Paul

• 05-12-2009 10:54 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Paul, you're right:

My System update (BM 5 OS Update) shows 5.00.

If I manualy search for an update there's nothing. Perhaps I should leave it connected to the internet... but leaving a Windows System connected to the internet nonstop is like removing the doors from your house at home and invite some burglars :-)

I fixed the problem with multiple albums:
    I edited the tags using iTunes and named "Album artist" identical as "Album name". Now that finaly seems to work!

EDIT:
    Yesterday I checked "update software" and it downloaded an update - but after checking the software version it's still 5.00!? What's wrong here?

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)