in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-10-2009 1:07 PM by Peter. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-16-2009 2:53 AM

Beovox MC 120.2 speaker stands

Hello everyone, it's my first post here and I would like to open it with a question that bothers be for quite some time, I have posted it on B&O forums few years back but with no answer.

I would like to get the speaker stands for my old MC 120.2 speakers or if anyone has a pair at home to give me dimensions so I can make my own, alternatively.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

[Edit] I'm curious about this one: "Author Notes: These were extremely fine speakers with a superb sound and flat frequency response. They do suffer from foam rot and are hence very cheap these days. A replacement Peerless woofer is available or recone the original. Described to the author by a B&O insider as one of the best passive speakers made by B&O."

Which foam is the author taking about? And how to prevent it?

Filed under: ,
  • 03-16-2009 4:36 AM In reply to

Re: Beovox MC 120.2 speaker stands

Welcome to Beoworld!

If you click on the link below, it should all make sense!

http://www.beoworld.org/faq_view.asp?id=21

Simon

• 03-16-2009 4:57 AM In reply to

Thanks, both for greets and the link.

It makes sense now.. 

• 03-16-2009 6:14 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

And a warm welcome from me too!
    If you do have foam rot, here's how to fix it.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-16-2009 7:18 AM In reply to

Thanks Mr Andy, I found it priceless, great job!

• 08-18-2009 3:19 AM In reply to

Hi everyone, wasn't here for some time now. Hope all of you are doing fine.

I have bought a new amp for my 120.2 pairs. It's a NAD C372 and what I am wondering, out of your experience if this amp is ok for them, concerning the power output. On the speaker set it says 120W continuous load and 200W music load. Now, the Nad has 2X150W @ 8ohm continuous and IHF dynamic power at 8Ω 220W (23.42dBW) 

Thanks.

• 08-22-2009 4:07 AM In reply to

So, I am playing with the new setup and it sounds.. well, good. What bothers me is the kind of bass that they are producing. Had the same problem with the previous set-up, besides that there was distortion at higher volumes (weaker amp). Bass sounds wooowing, like longer then it should be. Say, I am playing Dire Straits and bass is same like with some electronic music, not a sharp cut but extended. I have tried to put them on higher position in the room like 60 cm or so, and I am still getting that. As you can see from the photo they most probably had the drivers replaced, but I'll let you be the judge of that. I am still a bit afraid, to open them.. 

• 08-22-2009 4:50 AM In reply to

SO, as it seems they were replaced. I am veeery dissapointed about it. These are the drivers that someone replaced: http://www.visaton.com/en/chassis_zubehoer/tiefton/ws20e_8.html

• 08-22-2009 5:05 AM In reply to

one more:

• 08-22-2009 5:06 AM In reply to

and:

I am very sad.... and to say I bought them over a friend is even more dissapointing...

Anyone selling a pair of these?

• 08-22-2009 7:55 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

A very familiar story where people replace these drivers with so called "better" units only to be disappointed with the results. One of our members (jOhnbarker) replaced the bass drivers in his MC120.2's with some Peerless 830667 units of very similar specifications with good results by all accounts. It may well be worth taking a look at the thread and deciding if you think this would be worth doing, personally I would give it a go as these are wonderful speakers and it is very doubtful that you would find any original drivers so this could be a very good 2nd best.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-22-2009 10:52 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:

A very familiar story where people replace these drivers with so called "better" units only to be disappointed with the results.

I bought the speakers like this, have't done anything to them. I just noticed they are woooowing tad more than necessary. And looking at some photos here I noticed the visual difference.

One of our members (jOhnbarker) replaced the bass drivers in his MC120.2's with some Peerless 830667 units of very similar specifications with good results by all accounts. It may well be worth taking a look at the thread and deciding if you think this would be worth doing, personally I would give it a go as these are wonderful speakers and it is very doubtful that you would find any original drivers so this could be a very good 2nd best.

Chris.

Thanks, will look into definetly. I will have to se where to get also the fire retardant acoustic foam to replace it with that scrap I found inside.

• 08-23-2009 5:33 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

The foam looks original to me AFAIK.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-23-2009 6:22 AM In reply to

I have seen the speakers from Mr. Andy, on the pictures from the thread he linked few posts up. Here is the photo:

http://forum.beoworld.org/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.03.82.02/P8120007.JPG

And the foam (actually sponge) has a heat burn from the coil on the circuit board, that is why I have a doubt.

Overall the speakers are not that bad, but the bass is really annoying me sometimes. I don't have an B&O impression if you get what I mean. Especially when I saw the woofers I am having inside it got somewhat clear to me why they do not sound so uniform.

• 08-24-2009 3:15 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Totally different foam to mine Chris!  This looks like sometyhing you can buy down the market for making your own cushions. Mine was more...er...fluffy.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 08-24-2009 4:53 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

You could both well be right, I've lost count of the different speakers of this era I've worked on over the years and all sorts of different damping materials have been used in them. Short of taking my MC120.s off the wall taking them apart I'll bow to your knowledge. Cool

Chris.

• 08-24-2009 4:59 PM In reply to

Just to add my two penneth to this discussion:

The foam in your MC120.2s looks exactly the same as the foam I found inside my speakers when I opened them up. The shapes, colour and texture look exactly the same. I wonder if B&O changed the specs at some point in the production run though, as Andy seems to have something a bit different in his.

Those Peerless woofers that I bought are excellent. After a few weeks of light use they were eventually well 'played in', and I can thoroughly recommend them to you! The bass is a bit more up front than with the original woofers, but my old ones were knackered so it's hard to say what they would have sounded like had I bothered to refoam the originals instead.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 09-09-2009 6:53 AM In reply to

I could agree with Mr. Andy as from what I have seen from his photos and on the internet while googling that "fluffy", fiber stuffing is the correct one for these speakers. It doesn't take as much of volume as the sponge, atleast, as it is not as dense.

Also, as mentioned, the sponge is burned form the coil on the back of the mid-high enclosure. I doubt B&O would put something inside that is melting with the temperature increase. Most, if not all of this stuffings on the market are fire retardant.

That is just my opinion. Anyway, I doubt that distortion of the bass is coming from the sponge, it is just the cheap driver that is installed.

Thanks for your opinions guys!

Does enyone have a pair of those original drivers? Or knows someone who has them.

• 09-10-2009 3:14 AM In reply to

Hi there,

Perhaps B&O changed the foam at the .2 update. My S80.2 have exactly the same yellow foam that yours has in them too, and I have seen other photos with the same foam (John's included) so i suspect it might be standard.

For drivers perhaps Martin (member Dillion) may be able to assist you. 

Laurence.

• 09-10-2009 6:09 AM In reply to

That's interesting, thanks for your info.

I ahve already contacted him (Dillon) but he doesn't have a pair.

Anyhow, if anyone comes across of a pair of those drivers, please contact me.

Thanks!

• 09-10-2009 1:07 PM In reply to

I replaced mine with Peerless drivers a long time ago and was happy with the results. Mine were S120s and can be seen with the new drivers here. Mine were a fairly unpleasant teak colour unlike the lovely rosewood that yours are. Mine had the tatty foam like yours - my older Beovox speakers have more of a blanket type filling.

Although these speakers do sound very good, the construction is nothing like as good as the slightly earlier but similar sized S75. The finish of the wood internally is very rough and I don't like the port arrangement at all. These late uniphase speakers are all like this though - cabinet making was no longer taken as seriously by B&O at this time!

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)