in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-17-2009 3:46 PM by Xseries. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-15-2009 6:14 PM

Should it Stay or Should it go?

Right - I'm moving somewhere slightly smaller in a couple of weeks, and need some advice about what to downsize from my collection. I don't really want to lose anything, as I have storage, but needs must (poor medical student etc.) so I have to lose something from the following:

Beosystem 5000 (BM 5000, BG 5005, BG CD50, BC 5000)

Beosystem 6000 (BM 6000, BG 8002, BGCDX2, BC 8004)

Part of Beolit Collection (600[60s] 600[70s])

BG 4002

That list isn't my full collection, but represents what I am prepared to part with. Anyone got any ideas what to do? My initial thoughts are that the Beosystem 6000 is rarer and will be much harder to replace in the future than the Beosystem 5000, but I'm just not sure...also, as I already have two 1970s Beolit 600s and plan to keep the rarer red model, should I ditch the black one over the 1960s 600 which is possibly rarer and adds some depth to my collection? I really fancy keeping the BG 4002 too, to use with my new BM 6000 4 Channel amp, but again I suppose needs must. A good 4002 will probably be hard to find again in five or six years time, won't it?

I'm leaning towards losing the Beosystem 5000, but I do like the depth it gives my collection (BM 8000 and 6000 are very similar after all). Mmm. Any thoughts??

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 03-15-2009 6:17 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: Should it Stay or Should it go?

j0hnbarker:

My initial thoughts are that the Beosystem 6000 is rarer and will be much harder to replace in the future than the Beosystem 5000, but I'm just not sure...also,

John, I would have to agree with that. Far easier to find another 5000 system.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-16-2009 1:47 AM In reply to

John, I'd hang onto the BG4002 as they're getting older & probably more difficult to find super sqeaky clean ones. I see plenty of them on E-Bay, along with BG4004's but they sure do seem pretty beat to crap most of the time & usually sold by some folks that aren't too knowledgeable about what they're selling. I'm always on the lookout for ephemera to go along with those tables & have amassed a nice collection of cool brochures, etc. Good move on keeping the red Beolit. I think those are awesome & have toyed with the idea of finding myself one. Smile

• 03-16-2009 4:20 PM In reply to

Thanks gents

Looks like I might be parting company with the black Beolit 600 and the BS 5000 then. I'd hate to lose something that would then be really hard to replace further down the line. Will have to see what's what when I actually move, as my opinion may change depending on what fits where. One of the strong suits of the BS 5000 is that it will fit in a relatively small space over the 6000 system, so I might have a difficult decision to make if space is at a premium :(

• 03-16-2009 4:36 PM In reply to

good point...

i was originally going to say: can the 5000 as it would be relatively easy to re-source, but...

you love your 8000 and the 6000 is similar enough.

if you kept the 5000 you would still have some diversity and placeability (is that even a word??? Laughing) in your collection.

feel like you're choosing between children??? Unsure

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-16-2009 5:19 PM In reply to

burantek:

feel like you're choosing between children??? Unsure

Yes - that's it!

Tough as the 8000 and 6000 are similar, and there's no way I'd lose the 8000 over the 6000, and the 5000 does give some diversity.

Mmmmmm..........decisions, decisions, decisions.

• 03-16-2009 7:14 PM In reply to

Here is another tip.

Lend the system to another person like a family member. That way you don't lose it and it get's used.

• 03-16-2009 7:22 PM In reply to

Ah - but I need some cash Friedmett :) Medical School costs money!

• 03-17-2009 4:17 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I have a solution - I'm suprised you didn't think of it yourself!

Why not persuade some rich benefactor to sponsor you through college. You can then live somewhere larger and keep all of your collection!

Simple really!Indifferent

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-17-2009 4:30 AM In reply to

Puncher:

Why not persuade some rich benefactor to sponsor you through college. You can then live somewhere larger and keep all of your collection!

Are you offering? Big Smile

• 03-17-2009 5:56 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

John, I'm in a similar situation. Skint, but owning loads of B&O.
    Trouble is, that the ammount of money used items fetch, selling them would only slightly improve the financial situation.
    A year down the line, and I would be skint, and owning no B&O.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-17-2009 6:16 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

Puncher:

Are you offering? Big Smile

If I were wealthy then I can't think of anyone else called John that I'd rather sponsor through Sheffield Medical School - alas I'm not!

Anyhoo - I only think of ideas - it's up to you to make them work!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-17-2009 3:46 PM In reply to

• Xseries
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hampshire
    • Posts 433
    • Bronze Member

It will be easier to find a good used 5000 system, as this was one of their best selling lines, than a 6000 or 8000.  I would sel lthe 5000 first, the 6000 next and look at some of the Beolits etc.  I think keeping a good BG 4000/2 should be a priority - assuming you have a record collection!!

Personal opinions - but you did ask!Sad

Brian

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)