in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-15-2009 10:42 PM by thejamian. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-15-2009 10:39 AM

NEW TO B&O PURCHASED BEOMASTER 6500... NEED HELP!

I just came across a 6500 at a shop and with the cd player, tape deck and a 4500 series turntable. It came with the master control panel as well as 3 other "tv" style remotes. I got it home and hooked everything up as best I could with no instructions. It came with a brick shaped black box that I plugged into the powerlink port. Everthing seemed to work fine as I rigged a couple of connectors for the speaker ports. It did play a cd and sound was coming out , But when I moved everthing off the kitchen counter...(wives just dont understand). I could'nt get the reciever to power up again and the master conrol says no contact when a command is requested. Does the reciever power up by pushing in on the left side of the face marked step program? or is the only way to turn it on through the remote? I live in the washington dc area and wold appreciate any advice/help. Is there a reputable service facility in the area? How about obtaining an owners manual? I love my B&O stuff and already feel it...it just feels ...right! The turntable is also missing its stylus(I can only see 4 female connectors in the arm) any advice on a reasonable needle?

• 03-15-2009 11:18 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: NEW TO B&O PURCHASED BEOMASTER 6500... NEED HELP!

Hi and welcome to Beoworld.

When you plug the Beomaster 6500 in does that small red LED stand by light come on?

(The master control panel will show no contact if the receiver is not powered up so that is normal).

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 03-15-2009 12:07 PM In reply to

Chris,

No, I think it did when the  first time I plugged it in, but not any more. I did disassemble the case to check for anything obvious. I found that the small fuse is good and that the relay inside the unit clicks when I plug it in. That covers everything I know about the inside of a stereo! Does the black brick get plugged into the powerlink port ? Kinda does'nt matter at this point but thats the only thing I was unsure of.

Jamie

• 03-15-2009 1:26 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Don't worry too much about the black brick. This was probably used in a multiroom setup. Which is why you have more than one remote. You should be able to plug the speakers straight into the connections on the Beomaster.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-15-2009 1:46 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

thejamian:

Chris,

No, I think it did when the  first time I plugged it in, but not any more. I did disassemble the case to check for anything obvious. I found that the small fuse is good and that the relay inside the unit clicks when I plug it in. That covers everything I know about the inside of a stereo! Does the black brick get plugged into the powerlink port ? Kinda does'nt matter at this point but thats the only thing I was unsure of.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

there is a 2nd fuse hidden behind the transformer and at the bottom of the unit to check. If this has blown it could indicate a problem with a bridge rectifier & associated capacitor on this board. Not an uncommon problem with these but a power spike can also cause this fuse to blow.

Before going too far with any diagnosis you need to check this fuse first and replace it if needed. I think it is a quite low value fuse @ T3 amp I think.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 03-15-2009 2:20 PM In reply to

Craig,

I plugged the brick into the powerlink connector...I did'nt think of that as a speaker jack. The unit did'nt come with speakers. I have a set of rarely used bose 901's I was thinking of getting started with.

Jamie

• 03-15-2009 2:23 PM In reply to

You were right, but that was the one I checked...the other one was the one by the copper wrapped coils. But they were both good. Would buying a service manual help? or should I just send it out...and where?

- Jamie

• 03-15-2009 2:37 PM In reply to

The Beomaster 6500 service manual you see for sale on eBay was 'taken' from here - I shall refrain from any other word. If you join as a silver member you will find that manual as well as all the user manuals for the 6500 system.

Whether this is sensible depends on how good you are at electronics and the equipment you have. The 6500 is a good amplifier so in my view well worth fixing. If there is no red light on the front, a component has failed - bit annoying as it was working initially.

• 03-15-2009 3:33 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

thejamian:

Craig,

I plugged the brick into the powerlink connector...I did'nt think of that as a speaker jack. The unit did'nt come with speakers. I have a set of rarely used bose 901's I was thinking of getting started with.

Jamie

You can just connect the Bose speakers into the conections on the back of the Beomaster. There should be no need for the black brick. This is a sepaerate amp, in your case it will not be needed.`

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-15-2009 10:33 PM In reply to

Thanks for the help guys...I contacted a b&o dealer who subs out repairs -guess that as good as its going to get...

• 03-15-2009 10:42 PM In reply to

Peter,

I will be sure NOT to patronize the beoworld pirate! I will join and download the manuals the proper way so as to contribute to a community I believe in

-Jamie

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)