in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-09-2009 10:54 PM by Piaf. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-08-2009 10:56 PM

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Peeling Plastic on Beomaster 2400

I was dusting my Beomaster 2400 when I noticed what appeared to be a slight bubble in the control surface. A little rubbing and plastic began peeling off. A bit more rubbing and a LOT more plastic peeled off. Eventually with an hour of rubbing the entire surface peeled.

It was almost as if the protective layer often applied to plastic surfaces was never removed and was now coming off in small sections.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this? I am concerned that the plastic is actually delaminating with age.

Jeff

• 03-09-2009 2:44 AM In reply to

Re: Peeling Plastic on Beomaster 2400

The perspex on the Beocord 5000 will do the same. I don't think it is supposed to come off though!

• 03-09-2009 3:47 AM In reply to

• PL212
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - Seattle
    • Posts 318
    • Bronze Member

Similar coating on the BeoSystem 2000 components. It doesn't seem to materially change the surface appearance when removed, but I agree it is not merely a coating to protect during shipping.
  • 03-09-2009 10:15 AM In reply to

jeff,

take a look here

i have had very satisfactory results removing "the film." -looks brand new!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-09-2009 12:54 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Thanks all!

I used clear Windex to remove the protective layer which took about an hour. I liked Jeff’s idea about pulling it off with an adhesive tape, but I would not have had the courage to try that without the advice offered here in advance.

I have some high grade automotive plastic polish which I think I will try to see what effect it has on the overall appearance, which isn’t bad as it stands.

If the polish works out well, I will let everyone know. If not you can expect silence from me…. out of embarrassment.

Jeff

• 03-09-2009 10:54 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

I tried Meguiar's auto plastic cleaner/polish and was quite pleased with the results. I didn’t dare go for a scratch remover considering the plastic is “shedding,” but instead elected to polish the surface with excellent results.

Now the plastic is both evenly shinny and largely free of scratches. As a result I can recommend this application to enhance the beauty of the Beomaster 2400 as well as other B & O products with plastic components.

The ONLY downside is I have a tiny (TINY) chip that I never noticed before… as I couldn’t see it prior to the plastic surface being so evenly smooth. I say it is still more than worth the effort. Smile

Jeff

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)