in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-09-2009 2:20 PM by MicTheCat. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-08-2009 2:58 PM

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

BS5/BM5 with wireless network connection : only 3 USB slots ?

In 2 weeks, my BS5 will be at home.

I'm going to use a wireless connection between BM5 and the router.

I saw in the Installation Guide that the Gigabyte Aircruiser N300 USB Adapter is recommended and that we will be able to use an USB keyboard and mouse to set up the password for the network.

The problem is that there is only 3 USB slots behind the BM5.

So, one for the BS5 connection, one for the Gigabyte Adapter and the last one for both the keyboard AND the mouse !

I haven't got a "mac style" keyboard where we can plug the mouse in the keyboard so, what will be the solution ?

• 03-08-2009 4:04 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Re: BS5/BM5 with wireless network connection : only 3 USB slots ?

Hi Steph,

BM5 only got 2 USB slots. You won`t need a keyboard. You can set up your BM5 directly on the BS5. But a mac keyboard works. You      can connect the mouse to the USB slot of the keyboard. Or an Amitech IR mini keyboard will also work. You will need only one slot for the USB - IR converter.

Stefan

• 03-09-2009 3:06 AM In reply to

Wouldn't a 10€ USB hub be the easiest solution?

-mika

• 03-09-2009 4:21 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Thanks guys,

Stefan, i don't have a keyboard where i can plug the mouse, i just have both separately.

Maybe Mika's solution is the best because i don't want to buy a keyboard just for that.

Anyway, thanks for the infos.

I'll keep you informed.

• 03-09-2009 4:41 AM In reply to

Hi everybody

Why not use a Microsoft MediaCenter Keyboard? They have excellent integrated mousepads: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mediacenter/mediacenter.mspx

Or: You can use any Microsoft Wireless Desktopsets, because they have only one wireless-usb-dongle which serves both: the mouse and the keyboard.

• 03-09-2009 5:51 AM In reply to

Hi,

I (with hindsight) foolishly bought an el-cheapo keyboard ($8) and used a generic wired mouse (as not to load any extra non-XP drivers into the BM5).

The fact is that you dont really need a keyboard - the BS5 input wheel is all you need to dial-in the Client Password (so that BeoPlayer PC can access the music directory on the BM5). If you only have the BM5 but have the Beo5 remote, you can use that. I'm sure it's also possible on the Beo4 but have never tried.

A mouse is not that necessary either, but if you want to go into maintenance mode and scoot around the XP, then a simple wired one will do. Otherwise, using your BeoPlayer PC, its mouse or touchpad with the LAN connection is all that is really required.

10%

• 03-09-2009 9:16 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

In fact, i thought the keyboard and the mouse was necessary to enter the wireless properties in the network connection icon (right clic) and type the secure network key.

• 03-09-2009 9:20 AM In reply to

Hi All

I myself use a WiFi Acces Point and not a WiFi USB stick, head something about using the stick disables the possibility for BM5 to go into sleep!

I will do a wired installation later as I tried this and the feedback performance via BeoPlayer increased dramaticly. 

I have only connected a mouse to my BM5 and installed a onscreen Keyboard as this apperantly not is part of the embedded XP. So now I can do basic serviceing using the OS keyboard.

Regards

Michael

• 03-09-2009 9:24 AM In reply to

steph:

In fact, i thought the keyboard and the mouse was necessary to enter the wireless properties in the network connection icon (right clic) and type the secure network key.

Yes you are right, omit the mouse and use only the keyboard to do this onetime setup, or as I just suggested get a OnScreen keyboard

I got one from http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/portableapps/On-Screen_Keyboard_Portable_1.1.paf.exe

Regards

• 03-09-2009 12:37 PM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Do you know if the windows on-screen keyboard will be OK ?

if so, we just need of an USB mouse. It's simple.

Thanks for the idea ! Yes -  thumbs up

• 03-09-2009 2:20 PM In reply to

Steph

I have not tried it, as you can not go and add windows programs due to the fact thats its an embedded XP.

I used the one I linked to and it works nice for small things as you will not be in Service Mode so very oftenBig Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)