in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-30-2007 12:32 PM by jro. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-27-2007 7:33 PM

• HKNeil
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-27-2007
    • Singapore
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Advice on Move from Hong Kong

I currently live in Hong Kong but will be moving to the US soon. I have a lot of B&O gear ( BV5, BS9000, AV9000, DVD1, HDR1, BV7-32, BV4002, BS6000, Subwoofer and BS4000 ) and I know the TV's and HDR / DVD will not work in the US so have to be sold or otherwise disposed of Big Smile...... a good excuse to buy a BV9 when I get there.

Here are my questions ( and I hope someone can help .... )

1) Hong Kong uses the Pal I system consistent with the UK. Does this mean that if I ship the TV's home to my parents in the UK they could use them without having to modify, etc. ?

2) Does anyone have any experience with selling B&O items in Hong Kong  and could advise me on the best way to do this ? I know there is EBay but any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance ....

Neil
    Filed under:
  • 05-27-2007 11:42 PM In reply to

Re: Advice on Move from Hong Kong

Hi Neil,

Put it on HK Yahoo auctions, your stuff will go very fast...2nd hand B&O stuff in HK is demanding.  Or let me know what you have and see if I am interest cux I am looking for a Lab2 and some rear speakers to complete my system.

Or contact Wings, he has got some connections I think.

D
  • 05-28-2007 4:06 AM In reply to

Hong Kong uses the same PAL I as the UK, also power, mains frequency etc. A lot of B&O products have the same type numbers for products for the two countries meaning the products will work in both counrties without modfication, but there are some exceptions listed below, but even with different type numbers, many can be changed via the Service Menu.

On modern B&O products particularly video products will often work between countries where only transmission types are different for example PAL I vs PAL B/G

I do not have experience of selling B&O products in Hong Kong, but if it is similar to Bangkok, you should have no problems.

Some examples of type number differences are:-

BeoSound 9000 Mark III UK type number is 2572 and should be the same for Hong Kong

BeoVision 5 UK Type number is 8943 and in Hong Kong is 8942 but should be changeable via the Service Menu

The DVD1 in the UK is type 4621  region 2 and in Hong Kong is type 4623 region 3 and the region is the only difference. The unit can be made mult-region without problems

The HDR1 in the UK is type 4642 and in Hong Kong is 4641, don't really know why there is a different type number other than from a market aspect.

The BeoVision 7-32 in the UK is type 9334 and in Hong Kong is 9333, but should be changeable via the Service Menu

Also, you may be surprised how many B&O products can be used in the US with very few changes, but clearly not video products or phones.

Regards Keith....

• 05-28-2007 6:19 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Did you know you can buy the original packaging from your B&O dealer. When I moved house last year I pruchased the original packaging for my BV3-32. Cost was about £35.00.

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-29-2007 6:30 PM In reply to

• HKNeil
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-27-2007
    • Singapore
    • Posts 5
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the quick reply ..... very useful input.
    Neil
  • 05-29-2007 8:49 PM In reply to

• Wings
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 341
    • Founder

Hi, Neil.

Sorry for late reply.  A few brief comments:

1.  Do try to get the original packing cartons from the local B&O.  However, unlike the UK, the B&O operations here are not that consumer friendly.  I have tried on several occasions to obtain cartons for shipping and was only successful once.  However, you have nothing to lose by asking.  You might be luckier than I and/or B&O in HK might finally realize that there is a demand for shipping cartons.

2.  I agree with the earlier post.  I believe that HK and the UK are on the same frequency and voltage so the TVs should work in either location.  I was given to understand that the TVs can be modified by B&O to work in the US.  You need, however, to determine whether it is worth the shipping cost, risk of damage, hassles of filing a damage claim, and the cost of changing the tuner thingy.  I presume a transformer will be all you need to adjust for the difference in voltage.

3.  Personally, if going the e-Bay route, in addition to the HK e-Bay with the posts in Chinese, I would put the items in the UK e-Bay with a notice that the items are available internationally.  This should increse the number of potential buyers.  I haven't had any personal experience with posting items for sale on HK e-Bay.  One reason for this is the apparent lack of items for sale on this site.

4.  Alternatively, you can attempt to sell the items yourself.  This will entail a lot of time dealing with potential buyers, showing and explaining your items.  Patience will also be required with stupid time wasters who, despite being told the price is firm, will offer 60% of that non-negotiable price.  After politely rebuffing the offer and directing the idiot to a site more in line with his budget, I receive the inquiry, "So, what is your best price?"

5.  I would respectfully differ slightly with the other post stating that there is a market for second-hand B&O here.  While that may be true as evidenced by the number of people turning out for the "B&O Crazy Sale", my impression is that these buyers were not all B&O afficianados or otherwise knew much about the products -- they were only there to seek out bargains.  Further, as you may know, the mind set here is to purchase new.  Pre-owned items are generally frowned upon which depresses their prices.  Further depressing prices is the time of year.  Schooling is finished and May to Sept. will see a lot of relocations by ex-pat families which mean a lot of household items are being offered at very, very low prices.

6.  Having said all that, I might have someone interested in some of your B&O.  I would be happy to discuss in further detail if you like.  Please send me a PM with your HK cell and we can chat over the phone.

Wings

• 05-30-2007 12:32 PM In reply to

• jro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

Hello,

Try http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/

things seem to sell pretty fast there.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)