in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-16-2010 10:41 AM by la1974. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-06-2009 12:25 PM

New Mac Mini not compatible with Avant

Just returned home from the US with my new mac mini.....and mini dvi to s video adapter which the Apple Store sold me....

Imagine my horror when I connect it all up and get no signal to the avant, check all the connections work and then discover this on the Apple Website

"It's amazing how many people at Apple tech support do not realize that the mini-DVI to Video adapter does not work with the '09 mini. I was told twice that it did, but then confirmed with an Apple Store manager that it did not, just as it doesn't with the just updated white MB. Analog video is dead to Apple. There is no "fix," as it's a "feature," not a defect.

If you are desperate for a work around you could try a mini-DVI to VGA to VGA to TV converter to Composite or S-Video. That was too klugy for me and I'm unsure what the picture quality would end up looking like."

Anyone have any sensible ideas????

• 03-06-2009 4:47 PM In reply to

Re: New Mac Mini not compatible with Avant

Just have kind of the same problem connecting with my new macbook 

I used my old Home theater receiver that accepts hdmi in.

dvi to hdmi lead  -> receiver -> avant

Not the best solution I know, but works perfectly fine for me ...for now ....

• 03-07-2009 2:12 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2008
    • Munich
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

I think that there will never be a adapter to scart or s-video, because the graficscard can't output such a signal.

The best way is to buy a cheap receiver with hdmi in and s-video out Sad

Do you use the mac mini as a mediacenter or as a computer on the TV?

If you don't need that much power then I think it would be better for you to buy a refurb. "old" mini Unsure

I know this sounds hard but it's the best way.

• 03-07-2009 4:30 AM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

Yes, it seems like the new graphic cards in these models (Mac mini and Macbook) can't deliver an S-video signal :-(

It was big disappointment for me also, I really like that the new mini has fw800 - my plans is to buy a mini to use both as a media center and as a fileserver, so s-video AND fw800 would have been really great for me.

On the other hand, I'll manage with fw400 and I'll also save some money by buying the old model - the new mini is much more expensive than the previous model here in Sweden (old model: 4995 SEK, new model: 6895 SEK) due to the current state of the USD vs SEK... :-)

• 03-07-2009 4:48 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2008
    • Munich
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

I'll buy the new mini because the displayport can transport Audio and Video just like HDMI and I will use it with the BS3 in my Livingroom as Alternative for a AppleTV Big Smile

I think for all who have "old" Televisions with no digital input the old mini is perfect choice because you can do everything the TV supports.

Best would be for all of you to grab one of the old minis in the sale. I'm sure you can get it for a really good price Wink

• 03-08-2009 4:07 PM In reply to

would this work as a solution??

http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html

• 03-08-2009 4:36 PM In reply to

Interesting solution for AppleTV (not Mac Mini)!  Two things that you may wish to research before purchasing:

• Is AppleTV not a 16:9 native product?  Is your B&O screen wide 16x9 or square 4:3?  If necessary, can you make adjustments to either the TV or the AppleTV so you do not get a distorted image?
    • Did I read on the web recently that video stuff purchased on the Apple Store recently started to no longer be able to output to non-copy protected digital outputs, as in some older Apple DVI monitors?  I did not follow up on the subject, but make sure that if true it will not somehow impact you.

Good luck.

• 03-12-2009 12:14 PM In reply to

OK

Anythoughts about this product and getting the mini to work with the avant??? I have a 500 pound box sitting at home doing nothing which is driving me mad!!

http://www.marimedia.co.uk/

any of the PC to TV Converters here would do it I think??

• 03-15-2009 11:59 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2008
    • Munich
    • Posts 121
    • Bronze Member

You can try if this method works for you.

The new mini has enabled HDCP.

This is a kind of copy protection, and will not allow HDCP protected content to be played on an analog source.

A tool like http://www.hdfury.com/ will take the HDCP stream, and convert it to an analog stream. It's perfectly legal.

But in my opinion the best way is to buy a new TV or an older mini Sad

• 03-18-2009 6:35 PM In reply to

Bought the PC to TV converter and I'm up and running......

Resolution isn't great for surfing the internet, but video is perfectly fine!!!

Now very happy!!

Thanks to all!

• 03-20-2009 5:10 PM In reply to

Hi gk31ax

Which PC to TV converter did you end up buying?

I am thinking of getting a MacMini and use the dual video out-put to connect to both the DVI and Scart (for link rooms) on my BV7-32. Do you think this would be possible?

Thanx

Toby

• 04-03-2009 3:20 PM In reply to

Toby

Sorry for the delayed response.....

I ended up getting the Laptop/ PC to TV Converter III

Works a treat, but not sure about your question on dual output, in theory it should work...

Cheers

Gary

• 01-15-2010 9:41 AM In reply to

Hi Toby

Did you end up getting the mac mini and try to do the double connection to link it?

I'm trying to do something similar and don't know if getting the PC to TV converter is the solution.

Thanks

Luis

• 01-16-2010 10:41 AM In reply to

Hi Gary

I'm not an expert on this at all, but what still surprises me is that with just one apple cable you convert the video signal from digital (mini-dvi) to analog (vga)...; then, once you have it analog, the pc to tv covnerter does the rest (that, I understand).

L

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)