in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-20-2010 8:59 AM by Puncher. 69 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-04-2010 6:27 AM In reply to

Re: BS 5 software update

I had the same thing only after 24 hours it was still stuck on 36%! 

When my system was installed the engineer used some Devolo network plugs to link my system to my network as it did not come with Wifi.  This has always caused me problems and copying the original music onto the system took so so long.

I could have invested more money and upgraded the plugs but I had already spent a great deal and then realised I didn't need the BS5 at all - the BM5 has all the navigation and my TV could have acted as the BS5.   A warning for other perhaps.

I finally solved it this morning by linking one of the PCs via the plugs, moving my router closer to the BM5 and connecting it directly to it via a CAT5 cable.  My other PCs are all wireless so this presented no problems and my printer also connects wirelessly so aside from an hour of cabling it was a smooth transition.

I then ran the update and it went through in a few minutes.

With bated breath I expected great things but sadly not even the information message had changed.  So a massive amount of work for what.

Having bought B&O since the early 80's this is the first product I can honestly say that I regret buying!  In my opinion it was just not ready for release.

• 02-04-2010 6:53 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

HVD:

My BS5/BM5 has been frozeen all morning while updating. At 0800 it had downloaded only 24% and at 1200 it has only downloaded 63% of the update. My connection is 2 Mbps which should be ok (not fast). While updating and downloading I can't do anything on my BS5. I can't hear any music (N.MUSIC or RADIO) and the screen shows "update in %". I tried preesing "GO" which should terminate the update, since I belive something is not right, but with no luck.

Anybody who experience the same?

Cheers

Henrik.

Similiar. When downloading/upgrading I couldn`t use my BS5 and the update took a long time - about 3 hours. after it was finished it is working without any problems - like before....

Stefan

• 02-04-2010 4:55 PM In reply to

There is a very simple reason why the navigation on TV screen has still not been improved: it's called BeoSound 5!

If BO improves navigation via a software update then the BS5 is no longer necessary since you can pilot the BM5 content via any TV screen. In other words less BS5 will be sold!

Another example are the PHOTO and WEB options of BM5, which are not displayed on BS5 and here the software allows a reasonable fair navigation on the TV screen.

The BeoMedia 1 (a similar product to BM5) didn't have the BS5 screen and had an acceptable navigation system on TV screens for all options.

Well, in other words BO will never improve the navigation of N.MUSIC and N.RADIO!

Any comments?

Filed under:
  • 02-05-2010 5:05 AM In reply to

I´m not sure about that. The navigation on the BS5 is so special and I don´t think they can do anything similar or exceeding over that.

But maybe if the call the Apple people Big Smile

Brgds Ingvar

Collector since 1996, BS5/BM5, BL3*4, BL11, BEO6, BV10-46, BL2000, MX4002, Beocom6000, Beotalk1200

• 02-05-2010 10:39 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

"Well, in other words BO will never improve the navigation of N.MUSIC and N.RADIO!"

I hope for us, the customers AND Beo  that you are wrong. All I want is a navigation in N.MUSIC and N.RADIO mode as we already have in PHOTO and WEB mode. We already had this with the BM1.

When I got my BS5 in January 2009 Beo promised this as an update in six to eight months - July / September 2009.

In January 2010 - 12 months later - we got a quite useless link TV function, not an "exciting new feature".

Stefan

• 02-05-2010 1:11 PM In reply to

Agree.

Was a bit provocative in my previous message, but I really don't understand why they couldn't apply the same BM1 N.MUSIC and N.RADIO navigation features to the BM5!!

• 02-05-2010 1:34 PM In reply to

• M4SPM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom
    • Posts 38
    • Founder

If you unplug your Beosound 5 you will have full navigation

I only have a BM5 and everything works fine!

• 02-06-2010 2:28 PM In reply to

Hi, I tried to update today but no new software was avaliable, perhaps they had redrawed it from distribution?

Brgds Ingvar

Collector since 1996, BS5/BM5, BL3*4, BL11, BEO6, BV10-46, BL2000, MX4002, Beocom6000, Beotalk1200

• 02-18-2010 3:27 AM In reply to

• Rolf
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 63
    • Founder

There seems to be a new sofare version available for download, but my system is stuck on 32% of the download, do I will have to wait and see what it ends up with later this evening. The fact that it gets stuck is in itself worrying and I hav difficulties believing that it is related to networking issues as all ther network devices work perfectly and my internet link is 400/400 in up and download speeds....

Look forward to hearing from the forum if anybody manages to get the update and more imprtantly what it contains..

//Rolf  

• 02-18-2010 12:15 PM In reply to

I ran the software update function and got a complete 100 percent download.  The update was loaded and the system restarted normally.  I looked at the release notes which said the update is about controlling  Beomaster 5 from linked TVs to display photos and album art.  My Beosound 5 is a stand alone system which is running normally.  I thought this link TV update had already been sent.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 02-19-2010 5:39 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

I checked software update last night. But there was " no new software avalable"...

I got the link TV software two weeks ago, but unfortunately there is no navigation/browsing for N.MUSIC and N.RADIO, just previous/next song/station.

Stefan

• 02-19-2010 5:59 AM In reply to

I had a small software update yesterday.
    I think these are just minor software updates
    The system will do these automatically (somewhere at night and then reboot)
    Of course if everybody start these updates at the same time, i can image their server will have some performance troubles ... 

it says :

BS5 application : 5.03.02.2534
    OS image : 5.0
    US update : 5.03

nico 

• 03-10-2010 12:08 PM In reply to

You know this totally **** me off. Like many here I dare say I have spent ££££on B&O gear, and I bought a BS5 as my dealer told me that there was updates coming that meant you would, and I quote here 'see the BS5 browsing screen on your TV and be able to select music exactly as if you were stood infront of the BS5'.

That was Januay 2009 when I got mine, then in Jan 2010 I am told I need an extra cable routing from BS5/BM to the master TV to allow the content. Thinking this would give me the long awaited browsing facility I agrees to spend a further £400 to have this cable.

Imagine my disappointment that all I can do is see the album cover on the tv screen & move forwards or backwards one track at a time...totally useless. I told my dealer that it was uesless, and that I wanted to have full browsing and he said and I quote again ' I will recommend it to B&O but I dare say its probably already been suggested already'

Great really useful dealer and I tell you it has left an extremely bad taste in my mouth...I BS5 has been out now well over a year and I get the impression the dealers have been pretty clueless and/or misinformed by B&O as to the way the BS5/link TV's would work.

I could almost be tempted to go along the mis sales/ trades description route with this...totally stalled with it

• 03-10-2010 12:15 PM In reply to

400 pounds for a cable????

B&O or not, I never trust what a dealer says. I want to see the feature I need written black on white on an official document/website/product box, or I want it demonstrated, but I never buy based on promises.

p.

• 03-10-2010 3:02 PM In reply to

I'm telling you (see above) B&O will never improve navigation of N.MUSIC or N.RADIO on TV screens otherwise they won't sell any BS5 anymore. In this case the BM5 connected to any TV screen would be sufficient.

You don't believe me, then just connect the BM5 directly to the TV, without connecting it to the BS5. You'll see that navigation on TV screen becomes possible... like magic!

You still don't believe me? Have a look at page 20 of the BM5 manual.

• 03-11-2010 3:33 AM In reply to

Really quite shocking that Griebel...I will be asking my B&O dealer to confirm this is the case re disconnecting the 5. If it is the case I might as well leave it permantly disconnected and use my TV's in various rooms to select music.

Just to clarify the cable I mentioned was not just a cable it was 40  mtrs of cable that needed routing around an old barn from BM5 to master TV, hence the cost

• 03-20-2010 4:46 AM In reply to

Things may have changed ... but when I first looked at the BM5/BS5 I thought I could just by the BM5 and use a BeoVision ... but I was told that MOTS was implemented in the BS5 not the BM5 so I delayed my purchase

If you are going down the TV only route just check whether you can use MOTS if you want that as a feature ... although as I said, things may have changed :S

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 03-20-2010 8:22 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

elephant:

..................... I was told that MOTS was implemented in the BS5 not the BM5 so I delayed my purchase

I would be very suprised if this was true! I can see how they can only allow MOTS to run if a BS5 is connected but it seems crazy that you would engineer it such that all of the required audio analysis had to be done in the BS5 (and all of the audio data shuttling up and down the USB cable that it would require). I thought the BS5 was only a navigation/display module.

Disabling MOTS if you haven't bought a BS5 is a different issue - very sneaky on B&O's part if it is indeed true.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-20-2010 8:39 AM In reply to

I'm also pretty convinced that the BS5 is essentially nothing but a display panel and a USB HID device (mouse and/or keyboard).

Puncher:

Disabling MOTS if you haven't bought a BS5 is a different issue - very sneaky on B&O's part if it is indeed true.

Not particularly sneaky if you ask me - pretty normal model differentiation. You pay more, you get more features. Think software.

And nothing new either - already in the '60s, there were some IBM(?) mini or mainframe computers which you could order in either 1 or 2 processor module configuration. All the electronics were installed anyway at the factory. If you ordered the second processor upgrade later, all the field engineer did was rearrange some wiring and perhaps deliver new OS tapes.

-mika

• 03-20-2010 8:59 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

tournedos:

I'm also pretty convinced that the BS5 is essentially nothing but a display panel and a USB HID device (mouse and/or keyboard).

Puncher:

Not particularly sneaky if you ask me - pretty normal model differentiation. You pay more, you get more features. Think software.

And nothing new either - already in the '60s, there were some IBM(?) mini or mainframe computers which you could order in either 1 or 2 processor module configuration. All the electronics were installed anyway at the factory. If you ordered the second processor upgrade later, all the field engineer did was rearrange some wiring and perhaps deliver new OS tapes.

I suppose that's one way to look at it  - I'll stick to sneaky. I wouldn't mind an extra £100 or so to "enable" the feature for those that want to use their TV's, Beo4 & 5's etc., but tying it to another umpty thousand pound purchase is just too greedy IMO.

(All this assumes this actually happens of course)!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 3 of 3 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3