in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-03-2009 1:48 PM by Henri. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-03-2009 11:32 AM

• Henri
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2009
    • Posts 66
    • Gold Member

BC9500 - one speaker channel dead

Im not sure if there's an obvious, easy fix for this, so I'll have to ask:

The right channel of amplified "SPEAKERS 1" DIN-connectors is dead. Both channels work fine on "SPEAKERS 2" -connectors, so the power amplifier unit is probably OK - providing that the system doesn't have an independent amp unit for each of the four speaker connectors.

The speaker wires may have shorted at some point and not knowing how the protection (if there's any) against that has been designed, I'm out of ideas. I only have a fairly superficial knowledge of electronics, so the schematics in the service manual weren't very helpful.

I'll be using the 9500 with a separate power amp so fixing this is only a matter of principle, not an absolute neccessity. I'd like to do it anyway.

• 03-03-2009 11:40 AM In reply to

Re: BC9500 - one speaker channel dead

Probably a classic muting relay fault - speaker output 1s go through the relay, 2s don't. Both of them indeed come from the same amplifier outputs.

Not very expensive to replace, but getting physical access to the part requires quite a bit of dissassembly. I would leave it be, if you can live without the muting function...

-mika

• 03-03-2009 1:48 PM In reply to

• Henri
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-15-2009
    • Posts 66
    • Gold Member

Re: BC9500 - one speaker channel dead

That was quick - thanks!

I wasn't even aware of the lack of muting function in 2nd speaker outputs until now. It sounds like I'll leave it alone, too much trouble when the only reward is a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that even features you'll never use, work. Huh?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)