in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-03-2009 10:26 PM by Kevin. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-02-2009 9:12 AM

BeoSound 9000

Does somebody know how long BS9000 will still be produced? Is it a product worth to sell and replace with something new like BS5 or ruther to keep as a classic?

• 03-02-2009 10:13 AM In reply to

Re: BeoSound 9000

We've heard nothing about its potential demise, and I would imagine it may outlive the BeoSound 4 & BeoSound 3200 and possibly the BeoCenter 2. I've seen a major shift in the few short weeks that the BeoSound 5 has been out, which is about what we would have expected if the BeoSound 5 turned out to be a success. When people look at the other audio systems, they see a large monetary investment in a limited and dying technology. Then they look at the BeoSound 5 on the wall with digital albums and stations spinning around and then over to the BeoVision 9 with photos, movies and television programs, and web browsing and see a much more dynamic product at work with more potential to reach outside its current configuration. (PS, it's selling strongly, too!)

I think the BeoSound 9000 is the only product iconic enough and with strong enough sales to compete as we move into digital media. BeoSound 3200 sales have been tapering off and BeoCenter 2 & BeoSound 4 sales are often afterthoughts in larger systems or complementing speaker sales. The 9000 is the only system I see that still seems to sell on its own merits. It is unlikely that the sales of any of the traditional audio systems is going to increase, especially with the BeoSound 5 sharing the sales floor, so we will likely see these trends continue if not quicken in pace. 

It's also interesting to note that we are likely in the last five years or so of multiple audio systems sold simultaneously. Different physical media required different physical products to play, so as new media came onto the scene, new form factors were introduced. Now, new media comes on board in the form of codecs and distribution channels, both of which (with the right software and licensing) can be incorporated into the BeoSound 5/BeoMaster 5. As has been said countless times, the BeoSound 5 is less our new audio system and more our new digital media platform. 

Too long an answer? Probably.  

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-02-2009 10:41 AM In reply to

Go on Trip...make my daySmile

• 03-03-2009 12:03 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2009
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 73
    • Bronze Member

I certainly hope the BS9000 will be produced for a long time, along with the compact disc school of thought.

As for the BS5 and other things of its ilk, I am very leery and a and apprehensive of the "lossless files" technology.  Compression, compression, compression - where less becomes more.  To me, it remains to be heard whether a lossless file sounds the same as an AIFF - and then to pump this stuff through state of the art processors, amps, and speakers (a waste, don't you think?)  This thread prompted me to read up on the BS5 and also research Wikipedia (for what its worth) on the lossless file concept.  Simple is actually very complicated.  Again, "lossless" remains to be heard.  We'll just have to hold them side by side and listen.

I currently use iTunes where I can load AIFF, AAC, or Apple Lossless.  Music is streamed to Airports which connect to a set of BeoLab3 in one room, BeoLab4000 in another, and also to a Krell>McIntosh>Bowers and Wilkins setup in the living room.  I use compressed files only as a convenience.  

When I seriously want to listen to some good audio, on comes the 9000.   Other times, good old vinyl is piped through a Dual 1229>Grado>ProJect setup.  I think there is definitely an audible difference between vinyl and compact disc.

As for album art and all those good things that are programmed into a device like the BS5, which also remembers the type of music you like, Apple has the same album art and a similar thing called Genius, which also remembers the type of music you like.  In contrast, CDs and vinyl have the tangible and tactile aspect of holding and owning a piece of music in your hand, and literature about the artist and educational program notes about the music to boot.

IMHO, a transition from a BS9000 to a BS5 is analogous <sic> to the transition from vinyl to compact disc. 

May I be bold enough (and risk being kicked off this site) to say the BS5 is a very stylish IPOD?

BeoSound 9000, Beolab 8000, BeoLab 4000.   Beogram 4002/Grado Gold Amina conversion.

• 03-03-2009 4:24 AM In reply to

I have been looking at either bs9000 or bs5, the bs9000 has such a wow factor

but the bs5 is realy like an ipod with a huge price tagi just dont think b+o can compete in cost or technology

also will it be full of bugs like the beo 5

the dealers even offer a charge to load your cds onto bs5 id rather do that myself

by the way your krell system sounds interesting how do you rate it compared to beolabs

• 03-03-2009 5:26 AM In reply to

The BeoSound 9000 remains a classic - a strong product. If you have a large collection of CDs (or six that you listen to over and over), it's perfect. Excellent sound, too, particularly if you can use the digital feed. It's got magic movement, etc.

As a measure of its longevity, the Nr. 1 white BS9000 went to a bidder who paid €14.000 for it ...

(To Kevin - lossless is lossless, you can't hear any difference between an AIFF and a lossless version of that file, because the bits that reach the Digital-to-Analog converter are identical ... I used to be a skeptic on the issue, now I am reformed, after having compared bitstreams.)

• 03-03-2009 7:43 AM In reply to

There is nothing more iconic  as the beosound 9000.

It was designed not only for the beauty of the sound it produces but also for the visual aspect of it while playing.

Just like the Ouvertures with the opening doors and the beocenter 2 with the sliding panels, the beosound 9000 has that something magical that makes it so much more than just another cd player. And personally I find that lacking in the new BS 5. It's a straightforward box with a rather static display attached to it. After seeing it (though I like using it very much) it's missing something for me to make it a true B&O classic.

I still am going to buy a BS9000 one day soon. I will always have cd's to play and the physical aspect to me is important. 

I have been using downloaded or ripped music for years now and I am just about giving up on it. Constantly changing standards over the years makes me rip and re-rip my music over and over and fankly I am just about fed-up with trying to keep up. I do buy most of the music I like on cd just to be sure that I will not loose it (after the 3rd hard disk crash ......but that's another debate in itself...)

Regards

O.

• 03-03-2009 10:26 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2009
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 73
    • Bronze Member

Hello MGB.  I'm afraid I don't have extensive experience with BeoLabs.  My dealer did demonstrate a pair of BeoLab 5 s and they sounded phenominal.  He was playing jazz and each and every instrument was very distinct - as if the musicians were in the room and as if I were in a lounge.  However, those are some ugly speakers and I wouldn't have them no matter how well they performed.  I have stand alone BeoLab 3 in one room and BeoLab 4000 in another.  Adding a BeoLab 2 would make it really nice.  

As for the Krell system, it gradually evolved from a stereo system to a 5.1 and the 9000 is just one integral part.  I started with the Bowers & Wilkins because they matched my furniture almost exactly in finish.  Yes, decor is a very big factor. The styling of the Krell vs B&O are almost diametrically opposed.  Anyway to make an already long story short and in response to your question, the Krell system is very warm, the bass is subtle, and every instrument section in classical music is separate and distinct.   A nice BeoLab system I think would be brighter, with more transparency, and bass that is more 'punchy.'  I guess its a matter of taste - apples and oranges.  Also a BeoLab system would be a lot more expensive - almost twice methinks.

Last but not least, something a bit off topic.  I have 'nicknames' for the BeoLab2 and 3.  The 2 is a bowling ball, and the 3 is a baseball!  

You can listen to my system if I can have a ride in your car.

BeoSound 9000, Beolab 8000, BeoLab 4000.   Beogram 4002/Grado Gold Amina conversion.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)