in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-28-2009 6:57 AM by kawo. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-28-2009 12:17 AM

• MESM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-25-2008
    • Posts 15
    • Gold Member

BeoSystem 3 options? looking for expert opinions

I have read some nice and clear statements/opinions/positions/tips at this forum. You can not image how important they are if you are located far from a large B&O communities.
    This is my first post and, as it should be evident by now, I am not a native english speaker/writer.

Anyhow, I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on upgrading from a stereo system to a A/V system, without losing a good hi-fi stereo.

Is the BeoSystem 3 the right, up-to-date  A/V processor option?
    How to be prepared for new digital media/music formats?

How does BS3 compares with MacIntosh MX120 / MX150 or a NAD M5?
    Even considering a price relation of 1 (BeoSystem 3) to 1.2 (MX120) to 0.6 (M5) at the local market?

Best regards,

MESM

Non-B&O media server, BeoPort,  Bose monitors, BeoLink, BeoLab 1,

• 02-28-2009 3:15 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Re: BeoSystem 3 options? looking for expert opinions

MESM, welcome to the forum!

You ask a very valid question if the BS3 would be "good" enough for a decent Stereo expirience! Before I moved to B&O for various reasons I started my Hifi-life with a Luxman amplifer, Sony ES-CD Player and some nice NAD loudspeakers. For the investment at that point in time I was quite happy the stereo quality. However, as the first dolby suround VHS tapes found the wa into my house I upgraded to one of the first Yamaha suround receiver. Nice, but From my point of very bad stereo performance compared to my Luxman.

A couple of years later, I was tiered of the bad stereo sound in bought the brand new Denon AVC A1 SE as thi was the first one who brought stereo back at a decent quality combined with suround formats.

So the question is, where is the bottleneck for Stereo? Obviously with the amplifier or pre amplifier.

With B&O this game changed as the amplifier is in the laudspeakers and with my Beolab 5 setup even the pre-amplifier is completly out of the way due the direct digital connections from the source (CD) to the loudspeaker.

So for Stereo perfect: worldclass loudspeaker with digital input. The BS3 only comes in for digital suround and other sources. 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 02-28-2009 3:33 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

kawo:

With B&O this game changed as the amplifier is in the laudspeakers and with my Beolab 5 setup even the pre-amplifier is completly out of the way due the direct digital connections from the source (CD) to the loudspeaker.

Interesting topic. I am very lucky to own some nice B&O gear; nut not fortunate enough for the BL5. From your quote you seem to imply that the end-amplifiers are the biggest concern. Is this correct? I am very curious because I want to replace my avant and I am still wondering if it is best to get a B&O tv or anther brand tv plus another brand pre-amplifier/processor.

Bieele

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 02-28-2009 6:57 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Not sure if the problem is with the pre-amp or the amp itself as I only ownded fully integrated amplifer (stereo and multichannel). I think it is the whole package, and maybe the pre-amp is more important (but just guessing)

The only thing I tested once was digital direct to the Beolab 5 on one hand and through the BS3 with powerlink on the other hand. At least for me I did not hear any difference which where more than possible imagination and whichful thinkingBig Smile

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)