in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-03-2009 11:04 AM by deaddruid. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2009 2:59 PM

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Malvern, Worcestershire
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Digital satellite decoder + HD recorder for Avant

We live in the UK, but my wife enjoys watching foreign TV, such as the channels from the far east which are available via the HotBird satellites. Currently, our receiver is a Nokia dBox running DVB2000 software, and we have the Avant VCR set to record her favorite shows each day. We've come to the conclusion that daily writing tapes like this will not be good for the life of the VCR or the tapes, so we should move to a Hard Disk recorder.

Whatever we get needs to be wife-friendly. In other words, she does not want to keep calling my son for help, as she does now. The ideal would therefore seem to be a digital satellite decoder, with integrated hard disk, since this could presumably be set to record at the same time slots every weekday.

What would the group recommend as the best equipment for this role?

I should point out that we have no need for Sky, and that a Sky decoder would probably not be suitable for the channels we need. Also, integration with the Avant STB-C would be desirable, but not essential. I'd be happy to upgrade the firmware, if needed.

Any help appreciated,

Mark

• 03-01-2009 3:07 PM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Re: Digital satellite decoder + HD recorder for Avant

Not even one response - guys, you disappoint me!

Mark

• 03-01-2009 3:53 PM In reply to

No experience as I am a Sky viewer, but Technomate seem to be well reviewed.

• 03-01-2009 5:25 PM In reply to

Try Here

• 03-01-2009 10:00 PM In reply to

Look at the Strong range. I think the 5400 is the one to go for. It can be controlled by a Beo4, but you'll need a software update. Check with your service centre...

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 03-03-2009 11:04 AM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Thank you for the pointers, guys. It would be nice if B&O marked receivers in the STB-C lists as Satellite or Terrestrial, to assist those of us who are shopping! Mark
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)