in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-22-2009 10:38 AM by Stan. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-21-2009 6:59 PM

Download CDs to Beosound 5

I want to download all my CDs to Beosound 5. I am using Apple computer & i-tunes.

Please tell me which format is best to transfer my CD collection to Beosound 5. My dealer told me B5 do not support AIFF & WAV format.

• 02-21-2009 7:32 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Re: Download CDs to Beosound 5

According to the website, it supports WMA, WMA-lossless, MP3, WAV and AAC.  I would assume AAC is also includes "loseless" AAC, but then again, I'm not 100% sure since they do spell out "WMA-lossless" separate from WMA (but, then, knowing Microsoft, it wouldn't surprize me if WMA-lossless was different from WMA).

Personally, I'd choose a loseless format, and since you have Apple, that would be AAC... but that's just me.  I have ~500 CDs (and adding them at a much slower rate as I grow older) so I don't see the need to store 8000.

Stan

• 02-21-2009 7:49 PM In reply to

I think thats wrong, the AAC lossless is not supported. Is an "Apple standard", I think if you check here that some feel that MP3 320 is the way to go. I personally share that opinion. File size is OK, sound should be good to for casual listening. If you run BL5s I would certainly reconsider and go WMA lossless.

I don't want to double rip everything so I stick to lower resolution Ipod compatible music and play CDs back at home when I really listen.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 02-21-2009 9:57 PM In reply to

Stan:

According to the website, it supports WMA, WMA-lossless, MP3, WAV and AAC.  I would assume AAC is also includes "loseless" AAC, but then again, I'm not 100% sure since they do spell out "WMA-lossless" separate from WMA (but, then, knowing Microsoft, it wouldn't surprize me if WMA-lossless was different from WMA).

Personally, I'd choose a loseless format, and since you have Apple, that would be AAC... but that's just me.  I have ~500 CDs (and adding them at a much slower rate as I grow older) so I don't see the need to store 8000.

Stan

Thank you Stan for your reply.

I would like the format used to be as close to the audio CD (sound quality wise).

Unfortunately Beosound 5 does not support WAV encoder (48,000 khz, 16 bit ,stereo). 

AAC Encoder is inferior compare to WAV or AIFF Encoder.

a

• 02-22-2009 7:15 AM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

There' a bit of confusion here:

1. AAC is not Apple's format - they're just a big advocate of the format.

2. There's no such thing as lossless AAC because, by definintion, it's a lossy format

3. Apple have their own lossless format called 'Apple Lossless' that has nothing to do with AAC

It's a shame that B&O's Windows-centric approach to software design means that Apple using B&O fans have no obvious means to getting lossless files onto their new 4000euro music systems. They continue to use Apple products on their website to illustrate their products but can't be bothered to make them compatible which is a continuing source of shame.

Anyway, back to my modern Airport/iPhone/Airtunes/B&O Speaker system. See ya!

• 02-22-2009 10:38 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

jk1002:

I think thats wrong, the AAC lossless is not supported. Is an "Apple standard", I think if you check here that some feel that MP3 320 is the way to go. I personally share that opinion. File size is OK, sound should be good to for casual listening. If you run BL5s I would certainly reconsider and go WMA lossless.

JK,

You are correct.  I always assumed that Apple lossless was AAC, and assumed AAC was an "Apple standard".  Based on your response, I checked my assumptions, and they are wrong.  AAC is not an Apple "standard" (it is a true "industry standard"), and Apple lossless is not AAC (it is ALE or ALAC).

I agree with the idea of listening to the CD when really listening, but also think that if one is going to spend Beosound 5 money then I'd lean toward loading it with a lossless.  Unfortunately, for us Apple users, it appears there is no lossless format supported... which I can understand given that it is based on WinXP.

Stan

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)