in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-22-2009 4:02 PM by Jandyt. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-21-2009 2:20 PM

• vercu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-16-2008
    • Posts 7
    • Gold Member

BeoVox 2500 as Computer Speaker

I have been reading the forum for some time. Now i need a little help from the community.

I have 2 BeoVox 2500 in very good condition. Currently they are only design objects although fully functional. I would like to use them as computer speaker.

My setup looks like this:

Maybe someone has done this or can give some good tips.

Regards

Peter

• 02-21-2009 2:48 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Re: BeoVox 2500 as Computer Speaker

I'm afraid the 2500 cubes are merely tweeters designed to enhance the top end on some of the early beovox's. As stand alone speakers they are pretty useless.

I have used CX50 & CX100's as computer speakers in the past and they work extremely well for this type of application due to the compact design. As they are passive you need to run them through an amp - I used a beomaster 5500 but any make will do.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-21-2009 2:53 PM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Venø - Struer / Denmark
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

Hi

Regarding the Beovox 2500 Cube and connection to amplifiers.

Please see this:  http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/23928.aspx

/Frede

Beolab 5000 -  "If another amplifier sounds different then it needs repair!"

Filed under:
  • 02-21-2009 3:24 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Medogsfat:

I'm afraid the 2500 cubes are merely tweeters designed to enhance the top end on some of the early beovox's. As stand alone speakers they are pretty useless.

I have used CX50 & CX100's as computer speakers in the past and they work extremely well for this type of application due to the compact design. As they are passive you need to run them through an amp - I used a beomaster 5500 but any make will do.

Chris.

Agree with Chris, as I have also used CX100's as PC speakers. Mine were connected to a Beomaster 2000.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-21-2009 3:43 PM In reply to

Actually I know one member is using cubes as computer speakers - you will however have to change the drive units - or at least remove the capacitor. I have to say that I would not recommend it!

• 02-21-2009 4:45 PM In reply to

• vercu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-16-2008
    • Posts 7
    • Gold Member

Thank you for your comments.

The initial plan was to transfer the small satelites of the JBL Spot 2.1 which can be seen on the picture into the BeoVox 2500. That could be possible removing the original drive units and the capacitor first.

With the connection box i get at least high frequency speaker but need mid and low end speaker and some sort of amplifier if i understand correctly.

Peter

• 02-21-2009 5:04 PM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

Why not- Go for itSmile I made the project for some yars ago now and it was a succes Drinks

Its correct that it  will be a bad idea to use the original unit from BeoVox, becouse they are only tweeters and not fullrange. Make instead a  diagram, remove the old units  and keep them in a box to some day you want to  sell them or replace the units you have change.

Buy some used/second hand but still good sounding  PC units from Locitech or others ( with separate subwoofer) Control that the have the right sixe and space as new units!

Remove the old units in BeoVox 2500  and put the new full range speakers in with some kind of a adapter;

Bee very carefull Do not break the old BeoVox 2500. Bee very genle, becouse the original paint will fall off very easy

The adapter: Make a hole in the right unit size  in a wheel of wood that have the size that match the hole in BeoVox  and put everything together.

Maybee you can pay someone to help you with the adapter. that cheap, easy and the best.

Use glue that you can remove again... Paint with black -  you can see everything behind the grill..

For one BeoVox 2500 I used two "passive" units (I removede the magnet) and two units with normal magnet and the last two holes was just closed .

I was using units from three pair of Logitech PC set.

It was proberly a little overkill, and the sound was ...Geeked But the project was very  fun Big Smile.

As PC speakers today im using the great Logitech Z-10 speakers These are one of the best sounding PC speakers that is made for music today  I think that only a pair of BeoLab will sound better.

Modified BeoVox 2500 as modern PC speakers

If I should do the same project again, I think that I only  will use one (or maybe two) good sounding units; one looking forwards/up (and only if there still are space; one looking behind,- the problem will bee the the size of the magnet) and all the rest of the holes should be closed. Then there is room and space for the unit to work correct.

That together with a good subwoofer will do it. Use it for PC, mp3 player, in kitchen, bedroom or..

But make it for fun - not for the sound...

Job done!  

• 02-22-2009 6:15 AM In reply to

• vercu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-16-2008
    • Posts 7
    • Gold Member

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. That is exactly what i am looking for. The BeoVox 2500 look very good at your computer place.

Its also planned to do the modification reversible and keeping the original parts on the shelf.

So i now have to find a 2.1 system which fits in the BeoVox. I am not so happy with the JBL Spot. They are small and sound good but they have problems with peaks (interferences) coming from the mains.

• 02-22-2009 4:02 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

vercu:

Its also planned to do the modification reversible

Good idea!

Good condition 2500s are very collectable, I know of them selling for up to £700!
    Don't wreck them just for an experiment.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)