in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-24-2009 9:35 AM by pentalex. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-20-2009 11:01 AM

DVD playback very sensitive to scratches

i have a DVD1 (one of the later machines made) but it is irritating me - it is so sensitive to scratches. i always clean rental DVDs as advised before playing them but it seems to struggle when my laptop and cheap £100 machines don't!! the DVDs aren't even that badly scratched...!

i was looking into replacing it with a beocenter 2 but the dealer tells me that won't sort the problem out.

the DVD1 performs without a glitch if the DVD's new or virtually free of scratches.

does anyone have any advice?

could i replace the DVD1 with another more robust reader? i find it amazing that a cheap DVD player can play the same discs beautifully without a glitch but B&o can't?!!

thanks! Smile

• 02-20-2009 1:02 PM In reply to

Re: DVD playback very sensitive to scratches

Could the laser be dirty? Or it's near the end of it's life?

Why a switch to Beocenter 2 wouldn't help, I can't understand. Clearly your DVD1 is over sensitive to scratches/dirt.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-20-2009 5:35 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Hey i use a 2004 BC1 which uses the DVD1 inside, also, the DVD section has hardly been used. I notice the same sensitiveness, get a denon DVD player, that's what i'd do, they are the best. i have a decent philips dvd in my main room and it's great to play any disc. I've noticed that BC2 is a sensitive machine too

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 02-24-2009 5:09 AM In reply to

thanks for teh advice.

i spoke to local b&o dealer and they said that an expensive DENON would have the same sensititvity to scratches because like B&O it follows the 'red bokk' standard. this is load of nonsense! i have tried a Denon and it copes superbly with scratched DVDs.

i wish dealers would stop coming up with fantastical excuses. why don't they just say "yes, B&O drives and error correction is not as adaptable to scratches as similarly priced machines from other manufacturers". i much prefer honesty than twaddle - one respects hiensty more when one is a lifelong customer...

we have to live in the real world and although badly scratched DVDs will never play on any machine the rental company does occasionally send me ones that have mild scratches and i fail to see how after spending so much money i should be disadvantaged.

next time i buy a DVD machine i will test 'real life' DVDs on a prospective machine and if it doesn't play then i will pop down the road and buy a Denon....

Bang Olofsen sort it out !!!

• 02-24-2009 5:45 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Well being a Bang & Olufsen dealer doesn't mean they are all identical programmed robots - i've never met a dealer here with that attitude. Sorry to hear you're not happy. Even though my DVD1 (BC1) is sensitive, i've only had a couple of discs play up really, and oddly, i've watched some attrocious discs without a hitch.

• 02-24-2009 7:15 AM In reply to

As I understand it the early DVD1 used Philips optical decks and decoders and the later ones Pioneer. B&O just repackaged them in their own boxes and with their own interface software. Both Philips and Pioneer are respected suppliers in this area so it is surely a little unfair to suggest B&O was using deficient technology.

You could have any number of problems - you may have a dirty laser lens, the diode may be failing, the laser alignment may not be correctly adjusted, the tracking mechanics may be worn. I suspect that Denon players are not immune to these problems either, although they may - as previous posts suggest - be more resilient to begin with.

• 02-24-2009 7:40 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

I have two DVD1's of the Philips (old) type and you cannot imagine how well they play back scratched DVDs. This very weekend my son wanted to see his favorite animal DVD for the 100th time.. believe me that DVD looks like it was used as a football. I cleaned the DVD up and that made the scratches even more apparent, I tought it was not going to play it but it was flawless. I guess old DVD1s are less sensitive.

Gustavo

• 02-24-2009 8:02 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Interesting. Of course, the dvd1 mech in my BC1 is the later sort, sorced by pioneer, as is the BC2. My philips DVD has always been tough and played every kind of disc.

The user interface is a very lightly modified philips UI.

• 02-24-2009 9:35 AM In reply to

I also have one of the latest DVD1 player (2006) and this one was also very sensitive. I went back to the shop and the dealer did a software update. After this the DVD workes perfect.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)