in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-27-2007 11:27 AM by Mico. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-26-2007 7:32 PM

Plasma burn in image

How do I get rid of burn in image on my BV4!??!

I got a new cable TV channel and one of the logos left a burn in on the screen!!!

Help!!

• 05-26-2007 8:08 PM In reply to

Re: Plasma burn in image

Have you tried switching the tv off for a while then switching it on a bit later?. How many hours did you leave the channel on for?

If it has been left on for a long time, and switching it off for a while then on again does not remove it, then I'm afraid it will be permanent. Burn in is actually when the phosphors on the screen become damaged (for plasma and crt). This is most likely to happen when the tv is new and hasn't been used for very long (say 200 hours). Also having high contrast and brightness settings will make it occur more readily. And of course leaving it on a picture with a static image for a long time.

Newer plasma screens are much more resistant to the burn in problem depending on the make as they have been made to display static images as if the screen is moving the logo about slighty - just to an amount so that the viewer does not notice it. 

• 05-27-2007 12:06 AM In reply to

Only watched that channel for about 3 hours...it's a new D9 screen.

I switched it off for about 4 hours...the ghost image is still there...but not as obvious...hopefully that's a sign that it will go away eventually...never watching that channel again!!!

Is there anything b&o technicians can do? I know there are plasma saver DVDs out there which is suppose to get rid of burn ins...and other manufacturers also offer such a service I've heard...

• 05-27-2007 1:31 AM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

3 hours shouldn't do any harm to an lcd or plasma.  All pixels get burnt but since they're constantly displaying different colors you don't see the differences.  As more time goes by and those pixels keep displaying many other colors the difference should become negligible.  The dvd's to correct for burn in often just try to burn the rest of the screen a little so you no longer see a difference.  A typical example is if you spend most of your time watching tv in 4:3 format with the black bars on the side.  Then since the side pixels don't spend much time displaying brighter colors they wont get burnt as much and will appear darker.  So the dvd just puts white bars there burn them in intentionally.  Either way though, I still wouldn't worry about 3 hours.
    -Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 05-27-2007 3:18 AM In reply to

Have you a Beosystem 3? If so you need to upgrade the software to 2.7 as this has a built in eraser to remove this problem.
  • 05-27-2007 5:26 AM In reply to

Yeah I have a BS3...it's only 1 month old!!! So do I still need the software upgrade? How do I access that eraser function???

I'm glad to say the burn in is fading more and more...now hardly noticeable...fingers crossed...

I read on the web burn in most likely happens in the first 100-200 hours (as mentioned) and best way to avoid it is to turn down the contrast temporarily during this initial viewing time...should I do that? Did anyone find they needed to do it with their new beovision4/9?

• 05-27-2007 9:26 AM In reply to

Check which software you have on the Beosystem 3. It will say on a blue label on the back. If 2.7, there is a bit of software which basically runs a bright white line across the screen at start up which diminishes the chance of burn in. I would have thought yours has this but you should check it is activated. It is apparently in the customer service menu .
  • 05-27-2007 11:27 AM In reply to

• Mico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-06-2007
    • Finland
    • Posts 136
    • Founder

Oasis:

I read on the web burn in most likely happens in the first 100-200 hours (as mentioned) and best way to avoid it is to turn down the contrast temporarily during this initial viewing time...should I do that?

This is a common recommendation for all plasma screens - B&O is no different in this respect. Out of personal experience (I had a panel replaced a year ago) I can assure that this really matters. My first panel was a show model from a store with that I was constantly experiencing problems like burn ins. After the panel was replaced I ran it for ca 200 hours with reduced contrast and brightness and have never experienced any problems.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)