in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-12-2009 7:19 PM by Eugene. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-18-2009 9:15 PM

Beogram 3000 (5903) powers up, wont track(Now Repaired)

I have it hooked up to a Beomaster 3000 via factory din. No lamps light up. Nothing. Looking thru the technical spec, I dont see it being an issue with the datalink so much. but rather something to do with the power supply itselt. Possibly the transformer or fuses etc. 

The transport screws are unloclked and it spins and tracks if I nudge it along.

Before I rip this thing apart  I  would like some vetreran advice. I have never done this before.

Filed under:
  • 02-19-2009 8:22 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 3000 (5903) wont power up

Sorry for asking this but it doesn't seem obvious to everyone, did you try with a record on ?
    The deck won't start without a record.

Further, test it by using the buttons on the Beogram rather than through Datalink.
    The datalink pin(s) could have been removed.

Martin

• 02-19-2009 9:37 AM In reply to

If what Dillen says doesn't work, check the fuse, it's easily located, the 3000 is an easy turntable to open up (instructions on the bottom!) In mine it was blown, replace by the same type (500 mA Slow-blow if I recall correctly)

• 02-19-2009 4:29 PM In reply to

Yes I did put a record on and try it. I will look into the fuse maybe I can sort of see it if I take the platter off.

• 02-22-2009 9:19 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram 3000 (5903) powers up, wont track

So all it was was a fuse. Simple enough. Got one - changed it. Got it going but the tracking was stuck locked in place and it woundnt power down unless I unplugged it. It would spine and make a clicking noise.

Took the platter off and took a look at the gearing. I do not see anything broken. Kinda fiddled with it,  realigniing some things and can actually get it to power on and off like it should but the tracking mechanism wont engage.

• 02-23-2009 12:31 AM In reply to

Has the beogram stood still for a long time?

Probably dried up grease, clean the rails it should move along with some (what's that called in english, well, something without water that dissolves grease, you can also use it when painting to clean your brush). Then relube with silicone spray or something.

Check the belt on the tracking motor too, it might have gone bad, dillen can supply a new one (in that case, maybe better change the big belt driving the table too) EDIT: pardon me, utter bollocks, as explained in the next post Smile

• 02-23-2009 4:19 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

The Beogram 3000 doesn't have a tracking motor belt, it uses a nylon thread & pully mechanism to pull the tracking carriage across the record.

Is it trying to track at all or is there a complete lack of movement?

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 02-23-2009 4:25 AM In reply to

Sorry, I thought I recalled seeing a belt in there...

Thanks for correcting me Chris. Laughing

• 02-23-2009 6:20 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

There IS a servo motor and a belt for tracking.  Wink
    Transport to the lead-in groove of a record and return to parked position is done by mechanics driven by the platter motor and
    the sequence wheels but tracking while playing is done by optics/electronics/motor/belt/wormgear/plastic wheel/steel thread.Geeked

Press play;
    -Does the tonearm move to the lead-in groove ?
    -Does it lower to start playing ?
    -Does the carriage move slowly according to the tonearm tracking the record ?

Martin

• 02-23-2009 7:09 AM In reply to

Medogsfat:

The Beogram 3000 doesn't have a tracking motor belt, it uses a nylon thread & pully mechanism to pull the tracking carriage across the record.

Is it trying to track at all or is there a complete lack of movement?

Chris.

The 3000 is the start of the modern era in tangential decks and was launched at about the same time as the 5005. They are all just about identical and interchangeable internally right up to the Beogram 7000. A few of course have RIAA pre amps fitted but that is another story.

Regards Graham

• 02-23-2009 9:44 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram 3000 (5903) powers up, powers back off

Martin-

Press play;
    -Does the tonearm move to the lead-in groove ?
    -Does it lower to start playing ?
    -Does the carriage move slowly according to the tonearm tracking the record ?

No to all three.

What it does is start up and then power itself back off at present. I can move the tone are freely by sliding it back and forth.

Now when I first changed the fuse what it was doing was running non stop so I had to unplug the unit to kill the power. and the tracking mechanism was locked in place.

• 02-23-2009 10:37 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

It seems it doesn't detect the record since this is the standard no-record-present reaction.

Martin

• 02-23-2009 11:02 AM In reply to

Perhaps so, I can realign the gears to make it so that it will track and it will  but when I do that the platter stays running non stop even after it has stopped tracking,then at that point the tracking mechanism is locked in place.

But what I do wonder is its seems as the gears move that it set off a sequence of contactors underneath the circuit board. Thats why I am still somewhat inclined to believe that it could simply be the that the gearing is out of proper alignment.

I also noticed a little swing lever that become depressed when you add a record. There is a lever in front of it that if pushed forward seems to have something to do with engaging the tracking motor to the gearing system. 

When I place a record and plunge that intial lever is it suppose to push the another series of levers into the gearing mechanism.

• 02-23-2009 11:42 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Yes, it determines record size by lifting the record and sets the starting point accordingly.
    A light weight record is presumably a 7inch, which it will be able to lift. It can't lift a 12".

Martin

• 02-24-2009 5:03 AM In reply to

Do check the solenoid (see http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/24078.aspx), it was cause of all the trouble in my 3000, and the symptoms seem to overlap!

Good luck.

• 02-24-2009 6:43 PM In reply to

I can look into that and I would like to thank everyone for all their help so far.

In reading the service manuals I downloaded I find ways to adjust the cams in different ways to make different funtions work. That said  I still havent been able to get all the functions to work at the same time.

No where in the service manual does it show how to properly align the cams for start up.

Either way I figured out a way to get it to at least start up and play an LP, which I did and I must say it would appear that the MMC4 is probably shot as well. Coupled with the fact the as the stylus tracking approaches the end of the record the platter begins to make contact with the chassis making this nasty grinding noise.

I own exactly 2 record albums.

All things considered by the time I spend a pile of money and effort to fix this thing I might be smarter just to pick up another player on ebay or the local craigslist. There is a TX-2 available right here in town.

Or perhaps Burantek (jeff) has a working Beogram 3000 in his stash he is looking to get rid of. I was kinda smitten with the idea of building a Beosystem 3000.

The CD-X is one impressive piece of machinery.

• 02-25-2009 9:43 AM In reply to

I pulled the PCB out and took a look underneath. One of the solenoid wires had strayed over to the other side and was sitting on the solder contact over the other coil.

Cant say if its the cause or not. I did a ohms test and it seeem to have contact.

But again it seems as though different functions want to work at different times.

Very strange.

Premiumverum's thread was very helpful. Thanks.

• 02-26-2009 12:29 PM In reply to

Eugene1960:

Or perhaps Burantek (jeff) has a working Beogram 3000 in his stash he is looking to get rid of. I was kinda smitten with the idea of building a Beosystem 3000.

i do! i am just not sure which "stash" it is in...Embarrassed

as another user was interested in a terminal 3000, i may just break up the system.

i'll let you know... as soon as i find it!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-26-2009 12:30 PM In reply to

burantek:

as another user was interested in a terminal 3000, i make just break up the system.

i'll let you know... as soon as i find it!

Problems, problems... at least I know that none of my gear is more then 10 meters away Laughing

-mika

• 04-12-2009 7:19 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram 3000 (5903) powers up, powers back off (Now repaired)

I got bored waiting on parts for a BM3000 and thought I would give this another look.

It would seem that Premiumverum and I encountered the exact same problem with the same turntable, at the same time, half a world away. It was his thread that lead me to a resolution to it all. 

It seems the piston inside the coils can lock up over time which was what I and Premiumverum were both experiencing. We also both started out with blown fuses. Strange but true.

Reading his thread I came upon a post by Yachadm (Menahem) who had experienced similar problem and using his guidelines I was able to extract the piston (in 3 pieces) and using some kind of liquid nails adhesive put it back together discardeing the middle magnet carriage section that appeared warped anyway.

The process required a a little filing, a little silicon spray, a tiny bit of heat resistant teflon jelly and a whole lot of patience just to allow everything to set up and dry. About 24-30 hrs total.

Now it starts right up track over and drops in place. lifts glides everything is as it should be.

The "Partridge Families Greatest Hits", never sounded so awful. I seriously need to replace the stylus (cartridge). Set at 1.2 g for MMC4 it is almost inaudible. Set at 1.8 + I can hear it but it sounds terrible.

Oh well, off to Soundsmith I go at some point, but I am relieved it is fixed.

The forums do work !!!

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)