in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-27-2007 4:30 AM by waterlander2004. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-26-2007 3:49 PM

Beogram 8000 - not spinning

After having refurbished my Beogram 8000 (with new capacitors and recently with Martin's excellent stainless steel tacho disc) it played wonderfully for about 2 weeks. Warm and full sound on a BM6000 with MS-150's connected (my BM8000 is still a 'project' to be completed).

Then suddenly the platter would no longer start spinning when I pressed 'Play', or 'Turn'. Just a humming sound, but no movement. Even when carefully spinning the platter by hand it would not pick up speed and just slowly stopped again. The humming sound would continue until I pressed 'Stop'. A few days later, out of curiosity I tried once more, and voila - it works again.

While I am very happy with that result, I wonder if the problem could return. Does anyone have ideas about what might have caused of this (temporary) failure?

Your insights or suggestions welcome! Eric 

PS: my compliments with this great new website. I badly missed the old one after it went down, but this new version is overwhelming and it seems to continue to get even better. Thanks everyone for all your interesting contributions.

September 2009 1st prize winner.... 

Filed under:
  • 05-27-2007 3:47 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 8000 - not spinning

Eric,

Thanks for the kind comments.

The new disc is extremely precise and the sensor needs no final adjusting but it is adviceable to place the sensor so that it shines through near the center of the hole pattern (the sensor swings in over the edge of the tachodisc and it secured with a screw).
    Check also for bad solders at the PCB, especially around the edge connectors. This is very important . They are always bad and it would make good sense to run it over with new solder while in there.
    You did replace ALL caps as per the kits instructions, right ?

Having said that. I've seen some cases of "Beogram's gone wild", even my own BG 6006 that, after standing several days unused, was
    found to be spinning quite slowly backwards one morning. Somehow the CPU gets out of sync or loses its position in the code (don't all computers?). Could be caused by some sudden voltage surge, electrostatic or switching noise nearby or whatever.
    The only solution is to unplug the Beogram from mains for a couple of minutes and plug it in again.

Finally, the main bearing bottom nylon insert could have broken (repro part in stock), seizing up the spindle but I suppose you would have felt that when rotating the platter by hand.

Martin

• 05-27-2007 4:30 AM In reply to

Re: Beogram 8000 - not spinning

Thanks Martin,

Good thought, that may indeed be the pointer into the right direction. After checking again I did notice that the mains plug (Continental European plug into a UK converter) made an unreliable contact, which could explain the kind of switching noise you described. I'll keep your suggestion in mind and if it ever happens again unplug the unit for a couple of minutes. 

Thanks again for helping to make this a great site and community!

Eric

September 2009 1st prize winner.... 

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)