in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-01-2011 12:59 AM by Paul. 31 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-16-2009 9:59 AM In reply to

Re: RL6000 cleaning

eugene,

very nice!

i have a pearly red avant + bl6000's. your cloth is darn near a perfect match!

i have some light pulls on one of the frets. might i ask you the source/part#/color of your red fabric?

thanks in advance,

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-16-2009 7:12 PM In reply to

No problem on the source. It was a "dress shop"/ cloth store.

The red material is something more or less used for sports jerseys and the like. Very transparent on the acoustic end. The charcoal black gray silvery stuff is liner material used as in between material on heavy fabrics. coats draperies etc.

When I went to the store with a sample of my old speaker cloth. The seamstresses that run the place knew exactly what I had and what I needed.

Got the red stuff for $1.92 a yard so I bought 2 yards. Enough to do two sets of redlines. The black liner material was a little more expensive. I thinks about 3 or 4 dollars a yard. It works, it is is transparent, stretches easily and in the case of the red material they offer other colors as well.

You could also try JoAnns if you have then down in the Carolina's.

Here are a few pics of the crosses out of my 60's and 60.2 which neither are the same as each other nor even like the one in Mika's photo. On the 60's I also had to install two Peerless passive radiators to replace the missing ABR's. That worked out well to.

Sorry for hogging up the page.

• 04-17-2009 6:40 AM In reply to

Hi Eugene

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly have no complaints.

That ABR replacement looks a nice neat job, and it looks like that x-over has had some fun at some time...  that resistor has been HOT!

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 06-29-2011 12:03 AM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

so you used two layers of fabric?  did you glue them down and were you able to retain the b and o text outline?  had you considered getting the kit off ebay?

• 06-30-2011 1:10 AM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

I've followed your directions and opened the first of my RL 60.2.  However, the two larger speakers, although unscrewed, are 'stuck' on and I don't know how to pry them off.  There are no remaining visible screws so I wonder if it's possible they are glued in?   I'm also wondering if it is possible to upgrade any of the cones of this speaker and also which bits of the crossover to replace or upgrade, even if it looks all new.  It's amazing how clean the inside of this speaker is.  I can't believe it's over 30 years old...  Also, do you think using thicker wire for the connections is prudent?  maybe long copper like the DBS guys do

• 06-30-2011 3:32 AM In reply to

The gasket material is often so tight after all these years that they may appear glued. Use a bit of controlled force, prying little by little around the drivers, and they should come off.

Personally, I don't buy any of these "driver upgrade" stories unless the originals were crap quality to begin with - usually quite the opposite in B&O speakers! It won't be the same speaker any more, and I'm not at all convinced that the change would be for the better. They were carefully designed to work with the drivers that were put in there at the factory.

The crossover caps probably are ripe for replacement, and well worth the effort. You only need to replace the bipolar electrolytics (golden cans in the RL6000 crossover on the first page). Martin (Dillen) can probably furnish you with a ready kit with proper quality components if you don't care for shopping around.

I don't think wiring or connector upgrades will do much in a relatively small power speakers like these... I certainly didn't touch them in my 60.2s, and as I've said on several occasions, I love the sound of them.

-mika

• 07-01-2011 12:59 AM In reply to

• Paul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2011
    • New York City
    • Posts 38
    • Bronze Member

you're rights.  It popped off with a gentle pry with a flat head screwdriver.  I decided to remove the speaker fabric, and wondering what type of glue to use when I stretch new fabric because although it doesnt sit up agains most of the speaker, there are two grooves that the fabric gets glued into on the front of the speakers, and there is the logo that has to have the material glued up against.  I'm thinking about fabric glue that dries clear.  Just a light coating..

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2