in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-29-2007 10:07 AM by beobeo. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-26-2007 9:22 AM

• Turbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Sundsvall Sweden
    • Posts 67
    • Bronze Member

Who said "You can´t buy happines"?

I perhaps am a nerd in many ways, but one thing is for sure. I have bought many happy moments. And as I see it many happy moments is what makes a happy personBig Smile

I am not at all a wealthy person, I have nothing at all moneywise except huge loans at the bank. But what makes me happy is actually the feeling when I have purhased some stupid gadget. I smiled (and is still smiling) when I sold my quite advanced and expensive NAD/Bowers and Wilkins stereo set up, and went for an at least 10 year old B&O system. It set me back a couple of  100 Euros but I had a feeling like intoxication. This is what it all about! The sound quality is inferior and no such modernitys as dolby 5.1....

I have since then experienced a small rush of feelings in each little B&O gadget I find. Everything from light controllers to the magnificent beolink 7000. Nothing has to do with tecnical superiority which many of theese old B&O things lack. My friends thinks I am completly stupid, and it is very difficult to explain the need for an 1kg remote control that is impossible to hold in the hand. But I just say, -look at it! It is so beatyfull, and the two way comunication! - ohh so cool!    After that I am totaly considered as a psycho...

However, thesse things make me happy! And my other kicks in life is also totally connected to material stuff, since I am in to cars and engine tuning, there are a lot of gadgets to be happy aboutSmile

So, Can you buy happiness? -My answer is yes!

Is this a sign of madness? -Most likely...

Jens Larsson Engine development engineer
  • 05-26-2007 9:44 AM In reply to

Re: Who said "You can´t buy happines"?

I think you are preaching to the converted! Laughing

But I am sure we have all been through similar feelings! 

• 05-26-2007 10:13 AM In reply to

In a philosophical manner NO, you cannot buy happiness. End of discussion.

But like everything in life we do have to analyze things in a widely way; so, you can “buy” things that will give you some pleasure, yes of course, but objects aren’t happiness, its just a way to “pretend” something.

Why don’t you try to do other things besides buying objects to have that rush of euphoria?

B&O it’s a community, a way of living, whatever you want to call it and some people that don’t belong to this are most of the times saying that it’s a pure time waste, I say, each one of use live “layer” of this world and sometimes don’t communicate as good as it would be necessary.

Show B&O products, explain the history, the simplicity… perhaps you’ll convert some “lost souls” .

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 05-27-2007 12:49 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I once read a quote from someone (can't remember who)..

Money can't buy you happiness they say... but why is it i'm always happy when i have some, and miserable when i'm broke?

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-27-2007 3:29 PM In reply to

Re: Who said "You can´t buy happiness"?

Well, what will poverty buy you, then? Devil

Not sure I agree with pedrompinto here. I get really happy when I listen to my favourite music through my B&O, even when a particular piece brings a tear to my eye.  Which means that a material acquisition gives me a buzz of the happies. Of course, there are many ways of experiencing happiness - when I perform a perfect accelerated sharp turn in my Alfa Romeo, for instance. Party!!!

• 05-27-2007 3:37 PM In reply to

Re: Who said "You can´t buy happiness"?

The classic quote is:

I've been rich and I’ve been poor -- and believe me, rich is better.Sophie Tucker
    US (Russian-born) vaudeville singer (1884 - 1966)
  • 05-27-2007 3:56 PM In reply to

• Turbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Sundsvall Sweden
    • Posts 67
    • Bronze Member

I hope you guys understand that I wrote this in an ironic sense, and I think we can agree on that it is not the money that makes us happy! Bigger things in life such as love and children are of course bigger reasons of happines. But, for me material stuff is a very big source of joy and happines. It is all about finding something that give you that warm feeling inside. Pink Floyd on a B&O system while fingering on a Beolink 7000 gives me great sense of happines. And just looking at a B&O television, whether it is turned on or not also makes me feel good.

I do not live a life without other thrills, I travel and have many other intrests and hobbys and my work is within the areas of my biggest intrest so I was a happy person even before I fell in to this madness. But the B&O products has given an extra dimension to my life for sure!

Jens Larsson Engine development engineer
  • 05-27-2007 4:57 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

There is a german proverb that fits this issue perfectly:

"Geld macht nicht glücklich, aber es beruhigt" - "Money does not make you happy, but I sure can calm you!"

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-28-2007 10:04 AM In reply to

I don't really know. When I don't have much moeny aviable I'm not happy and when I do have enough for basic living I don't think about it that much other than I need some extra income to pay my many bills.

The satisfaction of a working B&O is a lifetime value that I personally don't get anywhere else in terms of hifi or televisions. When I got into B&O in 2003 for real then it has been no turning back.

I do have non working 100% B&O that needs to be serviced soon but I will stick with it for the beauty of it I guess. The Beogram 8002 sounded like a keeper anyway. Still has one flaw to fix.

• 05-28-2007 11:52 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

You make me feel like go immediately and get a Beolink 7000 for myself Jens. I have that very same feeling with my BS9000. I consider myself pretty lucky guy, lovely wife, 3 children. But if you ask me today hapiness are my BL9 and BL3 due to arrive in the next few days.

Gustavo

• 05-28-2007 12:07 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

this sounds like the typical prejudice you often get when people that don't know B&O very well see it for the first time: "oh, how materialistic to spend so much money on hifi..." Sure not my opinion.

B&O sure is no happyness, it is just luck to own some. If anyday you are really down, have real poblems or are ill, then you will notice that money cannot buy happyness, cause even your BL9 and BL3 won't make you happy at that point.

Just my 2 cents.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-28-2007 2:50 PM In reply to

Money cant buy happiness but it can buy the misery we all like!

10%

• 05-29-2007 10:07 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

tom:

this sounds like the typical prejudice you often get when people that don't know B&O very well see it for the first time: "oh, how materialistic to spend so much money on hifi..." Sure not my opinion.

B&O sure is no happyness, it is just luck to own some. If anyday you are really down, have real poblems or are ill, then you will notice that money cannot buy happyness, cause even your BL9 and BL3 won't make you happy at that point.

Just my 2 cents.

You have to work hard to afford B&O gear, not just to be lucky (unfortunately). You may have been lucky that somebody introduced you to this brand, however, at least in my case, it takes a lot of work to be able to purchase these miseries. Therefore it is definitely a reason to be happy about once you finally go to the shop and get a few devices for your lounge!Yes.

Gustavo

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)