in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-13-2009 10:40 AM by Dave0280. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-10-2009 4:26 PM

avant stb question

hello,

Does anyone have virgin media or similar working through the tv via a stb, I have sky and am a bit concerned that if i change to virgin I would regret it!  Thanks Nick

• 02-10-2009 5:22 PM In reply to

Re: avant stb question

I would be interested in the answer to this too. Might be moving from our house to a flat (in a listed building, so no satellite dishes allowed and Virgin is the only option) and I wanted to know if my 2003 RF Avant would be able to use the STB without paying for an additional software install from a dealer...?

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-11-2009 4:39 AM In reply to

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

Gents, I have a Virgin V Box working on my Avant VHS so a bit older than yours (not a RF model). It is the standard V box not the HD one and it works fine with my STB-C, no updates were necessary. Not got the IR eye installed so i can use my Beo4 to control it as yet so still using the Virgin controller but no problems in over 9 months so far.

Dave - Birmingham, UK
  • 02-11-2009 1:33 PM In reply to

so you can access all the menus and the like?

• 02-11-2009 2:13 PM In reply to

Dave - I thought the STB-C was the IR eye? That was what I wondered - whether or not I could use my RF Avant's IR eye to control the Virgin STB using the Beo 4 and the Avant's built in software for sending a variety of codes to particular manufacturer's STBs? I wanted to totally do away with any proprietary remote controllers (in this case the Virgin one) and just use my Beo 4....

• 02-11-2009 3:58 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

Dave - I thought the STB-C was the IR eye? That was what I wondered - whether or not I could use my RF Avant's IR eye to control the Virgin STB using the Beo 4 and the Avant's built in software for sending a variety of codes to particular manufacturer's STBs? I wanted to totally do away with any proprietary remote controllers (in this case the Virgin one) and just use my Beo 4....

Thats exactly what I want to know, I use stb-c with sky and am happy with how it works and integrates with the avant.  I hope that virgin media works equally as well!

• 02-11-2009 5:10 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

No, the STB is an optional extra inside the TV. You plug an IR eye into the STB socket and stick the eye onto your Sky box.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-11-2009 5:23 PM In reply to

Jandyt:

No, the STB is an optional extra inside the TV. You plug an IR eye into the STB socket and stick the eye onto your Sky box.

.....so the question remains as to whether our Avants have the right software loaded to enable them to control the Virgin media box by Beo 4, through the STB/IR eye in our Avants?

• 02-11-2009 5:43 PM In reply to

I don't think the V+ box is covered - the question was raised just a month or so back. On the newer sets but not on chip based sets as yet. The original Virgin box should be covered as said though.

• 02-12-2009 5:37 AM In reply to

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

Sorry gents - being a bit dense!! Long week at work - thats my excuse anyway. This saga has carried on a while for me as contemplating a Beo5 but want to use it to control my V box. The answer I have is that the IR eye will NOT work with the V box and apparently never will due to the old chip in the Avant and has something to do with PUC or something? The newer sets are ok but alas not my Avant - not sure if the newer RF sets are the same but I think they are. However, I apparently can use a Beo5 if my V box is on top of the TV in the infra-red sight and not tucked at the back as long as its programmed correctly! Sorry for the confusion - hope this helps!

Dave - Birmingham, UK
  • 02-12-2009 7:42 AM In reply to

That fits with what I know as well - the Beo5 will control the V box but is acting as a remote control for the box and not working via the TV. This has implications if you have a link system as you will not be able to control the V box in another room. The LCD sets and later plasmas do not have this issue as the PUC device is different to the STB-C fitted in the Avant (all types) as it is upgraded easily using a laptop whereas the Avant et al need a new chip.

• 02-12-2009 12:47 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

It is possible to upgrade the STB list in older Avants, just done mine. Not sure if the latest SW chip covers the v box though.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 02-12-2009 12:54 PM In reply to

It doesn't.

• 02-13-2009 3:56 AM In reply to

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

Peter is right - although you can upgrade the chip in the Avant unfortunately it does not cover the V+ box and there are no plans for it to either. Bit of a pain but just have to keep my V box in IR range for when I eventually get my Beo5.....

Dave - Birmingham, UK
  • 02-13-2009 5:27 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

I have an Avant and Virgin so can answer this one!

Your Avant needs to have the Set Top Box Controller (STB-C) installed AND a software chip that includes 'Pace 4000/4001' in the list. If you don't have either, they can be purchased and retrofitted quite easily yourself (I have a spare set of both).

You'll then need an IR lead coming from the back of the Avant and stuck to the front of the Virgin box. You'll then be able to control the Virgin box via your Beo4 with no problems, and the same will apply in all link rooms too.

The problem I have is trying to control the Virgin V+ box (thats the Hi Def one with hard drive recording capability). With this box, even the latest STB-C software for the Avant will NOT control it properly. You can do all the functions of a normal Virgin box, but cannot access anything to do with your recorded programs etc (i.e the '+' part). The only solution to this is to buy the Beo5 which will control the V+ directly rather than via an STB-C. As mentioned on this thread, this won't help controlling the V+ box in link rooms though.

I guess the only solution for me is to wait until my contract expires and move to Sky!

Hope this helps!!

32" RF VCR Avant, 2 x 28" VCR Avant, DVD1, Beocom 6000, Beo5, A9 Keyring!

• 02-13-2009 6:13 AM In reply to

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

This gets more confusing all the time!! I have the standard V box not the V+ box so surely my dealers can get this to work with my Beo4 assuming I have the correct software (I have the STB-C but will check on the s/w) even though they dont think its possibly. Then surely the Beo5 should be the same! Sometimes dealers have very poor technical knowledge of the products (or their tech support do). PS This IR eye - does this enable the STB to be tucked away on the bracket at the rear instead of placed on top of the TV?

Dave - Birmingham, UK
  • 02-13-2009 6:26 AM In reply to

The V box will work as stated above. It is the V+ that is the problem. If it is the V box you want, it can be hidden away as it is connected to the Avant by a long wire with an IR emitter on it which sits over the IR receiver of the V box. You can put it is a cupboard if you want. If you get the V+, it will only work with the Beo5 if the Beo5 is programmed for it and will not work in link rooms. In this case the V+ box will need to be in view of the Beo5.

Newer sets (think BV7 and BV9) use a different controller that is flash upgradable and these will work with a V+ box properly.

All Sky boxes work with the Avant as long as you have the correct software. The Sky+ box works fantastically with the Avant and acts exactly as one one want a built in satellite and hard drive would do.

• 02-13-2009 7:57 AM In reply to

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

Ok - thanks Peter. One other question, forgive me if its a silly one, can the standard V box be controlled via the Beo5 directly (as it would with the V+ box) without me paying for the IR cable and necessary upgrade (qutoed £130+VAT). What advantages are there for connecting it all up via the chip in the Avant instead of directly synching it with the V box?

Dave - Birmingham, UK
  • 02-13-2009 10:05 AM In reply to

• bdm01
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-07-2008
    • Posts 36
    • Gold Member

Where do you get your quotes from ?

I live close to Birmingham and the chip upgrade (version 4.01 west europe) for the Avant costs about £17.00 and the IR cable about £10.00

I presume you could fit this yourself ?

• 02-13-2009 10:17 AM In reply to

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

Quoted from my local B&O dealers (Solihull) as they are who i'm ordering the Beo5 from. I didn't fancy opening up the back of the Avant having no idea about the internals of TVs. The price includes their costly call-out fee of course!! Got the same quote from B&O Mailbox so must be a standard type of fee.

Dave - Birmingham, UK
  • 02-13-2009 10:34 AM In reply to

I am sure you could use the Beo5 but you lose the ability to control the box from another room if you have a link system. You also need to be able to program the Beo5 - This will not be as simple as you would like! Child's play for Keith but completely beyond an idiot like me! Laughing

• 02-13-2009 10:40 AM In reply to

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

I dont have a link system and wont as i have a small house and there is really need. I agree with you Peter (not about you being an idiot of course Wink) but about the need for the config tool at least!! Its my main concern when going for the Beo 5!! Really dont want to be back and forth to the dealers when I decide I want another hardkey or button added!!

Dave - Birmingham, UK
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)