in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-05-2010 12:31 PM by ipaul. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-10-2009 2:47 PM

28" Avant problem

Hello,

I have just purchased a 28" Avant, set it up at home and realised that there is a 2" strip on either side of the picture which is substantially lighter then the rest of the image, it is only a problem on a light image. However, the rest of the image seems to have a slightly magenta cast and no true whites. I got in contact with the seller but he is claiming it was fine when he sold it, 2 days ago, this doesn't surprise me as he was rather Neanderthal like and a white van driver. When he showed me  the television he showed it in 4:3 format and assured me it had a perfect picture and I didn't even think there would be a change in widescreen. I wish I had taken more time to check the tv thoroughly,

Does anyone know if this is a common problem and if there is a fix. I fear I have just bought a television which is soon to be useless. Wish I had just stuck with my trusty AV5.

Cheers,

Tom

• 02-10-2009 3:10 PM In reply to

Re: 28" Avant problem

You don't have any magnetic interference to the sides of the TV? Unshielded speakers etc?

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-10-2009 3:12 PM In reply to

BTW, via what kind of source did he show you a 4:3 picture?

The Avant defaults to 16:9 or it's own smart version of it to my knowledge... So even if you have a 4:3 source it shows on almost the whole of the screen... doesn't it? You have to select 4:3 picture format manually... Or am I out cycling? This is how I remember it from my parents Avant. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 02-10-2009 4:36 PM In reply to

it may need degaussing, I think when the tube went in my old avant, the screen had a green and blue haze. Also thin green lines across the screen, also the screen went blue when turning off.

hope that helps 

cheers Nick

• 12-05-2010 7:36 AM In reply to

Hi - we have a 32" Avant from 2003 and have just started experiencing red horizontal lines across the screen, and a vertical red line at each side of the screen when watching most tv channels (but not all) - screen goes red when switching off.   We suspect it's the tube as well but won't be sure until the engineer comes - ours is only 7 years old - how long had yours lasted before the tube went, and did you replace it?

• 12-05-2010 12:31 PM In reply to

@TS: you probably found out by now but anyways: i think your avant is an old 81xx type and from the days almost everything was aired 4:3, resulting in the tube not 'burned' in equally.

The lighter sides is just the extra bit of screen, the difference  between 16:9 and 4:3 (which is stretched to 14:9 or 15:9 by the avant).

Nothing to do about it....other than changing tubes.

@Bluecazzaf (although technically hijacking thread...): most likely the tube, a tech can find out easily...

Doesn't have to be total loss, if it's from 2003 it's RF ??

If ''cleaning'' the tube doesn't work (your tech may know this) for the 32" there is a cheap replacement still around (of course not from B&O), it takes some work though...but than it is as good as new :).

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)