in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-10-2009 7:14 AM by Brian Waddell. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-10-2009 3:43 AM

Driver totally Dead

The woofer on one of my MC120.2's has totally died. I have no idea why. There is nothing coming from it at all. I have opened up the cabinet and connected another speaker to the wires to check it was not the crossover and this speaker produced sound. I've never had a driver fail completley and didnt even know that one could. It has been refoamed a few months ago but its not the first pair of speakers Ive done and there was no rubbing of the coil when moved. I am rather stumped to be honest. Is there anything else it could be or do I need a replacement. If so, where could I find one.

• 02-10-2009 4:06 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Driver totally Dead

Did you re-shim the coil while refoam'ing ?

Ask Johnbarker, I think he may have a woofer.

Martin

• 02-10-2009 4:14 AM In reply to

I didnt reshim it. I have done these and other speakers and am pretty sure it was ok. There was and still is no rubbing at all when pressed in. Also it has been very lightly used ie max volume of about 8 out of 60 on my BM6000.

• 02-10-2009 5:45 AM In reply to

maybe a stupid question but did you measure the Ohms of the coil?

There's a copper wire from the terminals to the actual coil on the conus that is flexible. I had a driver where that wire was broken and resoldering (carefully, not to make it solid with all the solder-tin) helped.

HTH,

Gunther

• 02-10-2009 7:14 AM In reply to

I'm pleased that there isn't a real driver dead

Brian

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)