in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-08-2009 3:03 PM by Nickyg63. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2009 2:53 AM

light controller

Hi Guys,

When I get paid I want to buy myself a remote dimmer for the living room,  I have seen some 2nd hand lc2's on ebay. Can these be mounted in place of the switch and can it be touched on? 

I have seen this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-O-Bang-Olufsen-LC2-LC-2-Light-Controller-COMPATIBLE_W0QQitemZ220357768453QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Gadgets?hash=item220357768453&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

What everyones thoughts please?

Thanks Nick

• 02-08-2009 3:09 AM In reply to

Re: light controller

Do not buy this one on eBay as they are probably as expensive as buying new ones directly from the web shop n Denmark.

They work exactly like LC2 when used with a Beo4/5. 

They can be touched, on the metal part.

They are not as sensitive as the LC2, but are OK and I would recommend them as a good alternative.

Buy it from here:

http://www.home-automation.dk/pl/_Dimmer_11.aspx

You see, one is only 66 euro, you can get white ones, and you can also get them by pack of three.

Be prepared to way 3 weeks to receive them, but you'll get them and they would change them if they do not work.

To mount them as wall switches would require 2 things:

-That you have access to the neutral and live, which is rare in the UK.

-That you nail or screw the bottom part of the SmartDimmer to the wall and cut holes in the bottom part of the smartDimmer shell to get the cables through. Of course they are round, so you'll have to fill the gap around them.

• 02-08-2009 3:23 AM In reply to

Thank you for the prompt response!

so it isn't so simple as to take the wires out of the switch, and fit into this unit?

• 02-08-2009 3:26 AM In reply to

You may wish to look at a new product from Lutron called the B&O Rania, some stores are already selling them i think that they're around £200.

• 02-08-2009 3:36 AM In reply to

• Quim43
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-15-2007
    • Tarragona (Catalonia)
    • Posts 1,030
    • Gold Member

If you want a dimmer that can be mounted instead of the normal switch on the wall you can take a look at This

This is not Beo4 compatible, but some B&O dealers have the same dimmer B&O compatible, at least in Spain. I guess in UK too. It can be mounted in a 2 way dimming option too.

Thanks to Keith, this version can be controlled with the Beo5.

Quim

• 02-08-2009 3:37 AM In reply to

• Quim43
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-15-2007
    • Tarragona (Catalonia)
    • Posts 1,030
    • Gold Member

Ops, too late Stick out tongue

Quim

• 02-08-2009 3:45 AM In reply to

Thanks Guys 

I have emailed them to see if they can supply a b&o compatible unit

looks like lutron is the way forward!

• 02-08-2009 5:19 AM In reply to

The SmartDimmers are fully compatible with Beo4, but also behave exactly like LC2s.

Some other controllers might be controllable by Beo4 but not work in the same way as LC2.

This is fine as long as you do not mix and match dimmers that operate differently in the same room.

p.

• 02-08-2009 5:46 AM In reply to

Thanks Phil,

My only worry is that I have to have some extra wiring done to use a smartdimmer  I will do some homework!

• 02-08-2009 8:14 AM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

Nick,

I can recommend the Lutron Rania for B&O. Purchased from my dealer prior to Christmas, £195 for the stainless steel, or £175 for white. I was a simple matter of removing the existing wall socket dimmer, and placing 2 wires into the Lutron, and screwing it all into place. It is square and fits perfectly over the backbox, no filling required! took such a short time and worked straight away. If you are after a light switch for use in a single room, operated by Beo4/5 I have to say consider it! Your local dealer may even have stock of them. I can take some pictures this evening when i get back to my apartment if you want to see it in situ.

From memory, you get the following options,

On/Off

Up and down brightness

Red, Yellow, Green, Blue are 100%, 75%, 50%,25% brightness (maybe not in the correct order but you know what I mean...)

You might also have the option to set preferred levels of light, but it isn't something I looked into.

The one thing I'm not sure of yet, is if an A9 keyring will operate it. Maybe someone else can confirm this...

Regards,

Robert.

• 02-08-2009 8:28 AM In reply to

Thanks Robert I think that may be the best option!! 

Sounds nice in stainless steel finish to!

• 02-08-2009 2:42 PM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

Nick,

Took two quick photos of my Lutron dimmer.

Although the buttons look black in the first photo, they are actually a clear red sort of colour as shown in the second picture. They appear black in certain light just.

Regards,

Robert.

• 02-08-2009 3:03 PM In reply to

looks very swish!!

Thank you for your time much obliged 

I think that is the one for me especially in stainless finish

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)