in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-13-2009 2:09 PM by Nickyg63. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-07-2009 4:28 PM

Second room TV

What B&O TV would you use as a second room TV? Want to buy one for my main bedroom to be wall mounted. Need to make a decision pretty quick while some building work is going on and opportunity present itself to channel it all in. What are people's views on a secon-hand BeoVision 6-26 for example? How about picture quality from a 2005/2006 model one of those against an up to date BeoVision 8? Would like to hear all views and comments. Thanks.

Simon.

• 02-07-2009 4:35 PM In reply to

Re: Second room TV

Simon - have you thought about an MX1500 instead? No need for a fancy install then.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-07-2009 5:20 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

We tried the wall mount for a BV 8 in our Bedroom.

Clear, distinct, even in bright sunlight, excellent sound of course, but " tiring " on the eyes from always looking up near the ceiling.

So we brought it down and tried it off to the side of the bed on a Teak comforter cabinet, and that is where it now remains. We can now watch it sitting, or in bed.

We had a BL 2000 nearby that was ML linked, but we removed it. The BV 8 being ML link - capable added that option for us.

( Nonetheless, the big bed is too comfortable, and wife still dozes off after 15 minutes of watching it, no matter who is on ).

• 02-07-2009 5:22 PM In reply to

I would consider a used BV6 - I think the picture quality is OK but you would have to judge it for yourself as these things are quite subjective. Also depends a lot on the source you will be using.

As for the BV8, I know a lot of people love it but it falls a bit short of what I expect of B&O in terms of styling and quality. But that's personal taste, I guess.

• 02-07-2009 5:28 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Despite what others have said, I'm not overly impressed with my BV8. Colours are far more washed out, compared to the BV7-40 MKIII.

BV6 is rather expensive for a second-hand occasional-use bedroom TV. How about a Samsung? :)

• 02-07-2009 5:45 PM In reply to

I don't think a Samsung makes sense when you have so much B&O kit in the rest of the house. Assuming Simon is going to link it back to the main gear, he'd be able to pull in audio sources and use the same remote for link and local sources. Better to invest money than waste it. 

I would say go for a BeoVision 8. The picture is damn good for such a cheap (by our standards) TV and something tells me you might get a damn good deal on one if you act soon. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-07-2009 5:45 PM In reply to

Does it have to be a flat panel?  I have a beovision 1 and its a fantastic bedroom tv with superb sound.

• 02-07-2009 6:07 PM In reply to

• rhone
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Dublin Ireland
    • Posts 10
    • Founder

I have a BV6 in the bedroom and i'am very happy with it.Have it link to ML so have all sources available in the bedroom.It depends on the price between the BV6 and the BV8

P.S. I still think its shelf on the bottom of the BV8

• 02-07-2009 6:10 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

It makes a lot of sense, if you're on a limited spending budget Trip.

Besides, my landlords have B&O kit linked all over their house, apart from their bedroom and master bedroom, where they had Moss of Bath come around and fit £599 Sony TVs for free, with Freeview built-in. They argued that couldn't be beaten. In many ways, they are right.

It's very very hard to link up B&O across floors, which is a reason why a TV in a bedroom doesn't need to be B&O. I can link between rooms, but not between floors.

But, of course, as we're so B&O centric, we can't really propose outside ideas in case we're responsible for the dealers going under.

• 02-07-2009 6:20 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

You need a TV like THIS, Simon.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-08-2009 12:38 PM In reply to

Many thanks for everyone's comments. I will try to address some of them here. Trip does have the right understanding about me from what he writes; I am not the sort of person who mixes B&O with other gear, I have often mentioned that in other posts. I am very passionate about B&O and love their kit far too much to ever consider other brands.

I am driven fristly and foremostly by design, always have been. Functionality comes second and practicality always last. So, I would probably choose the TV that I prefer the design of rather than the better performer although of course its always nice to get the whole package. The only time I have ever swayed from this was with my 7-40 purchase which many members know about because I was staurating the forums with questions for almost a year before I bought it! I really, really, REALLY wanted to buy the BV5 because the design was just amazing to me, but on this one occasion and with some profit/loss calculations that were too hard to ignore I really had no choice but to buy the 7-40.

So, I like both the BV6 and the BV8 models in terms of design so no issue there to consider at all. I like both pictures, but I think that the BV6 has a DVI socket which means I could pick up my Sky HD through masterlink although I think that the signal would be sent via RF so I am not sure of picture quality loss etc. However, I am also aware from all my research with the 7-40 that on a 26 inch screen size HD will hardly make a difference, if at all.

Thanks for the link Andy to the TV under the bed video! Can't say I like it at all I am afraid!

It seems that there is no real winner between the BV6 and BV8 so I guess I'll follow my heart. I'll probably end up with the BV6 I think because I can get it for less on the second hand market and I have no issues with that at all. Just wondered if I had to worry much about a 4/5 year old well used TV.

Any other comments would be really useful along with what people would consider a fair price for a 4 year old BV6-26.

Simon. 

• 02-12-2009 12:14 PM In reply to

For anyone interested I went for the BV6-26 in the end. I have to say I didn't think the picture quality was that good, perhaps I am too used to being spolit by the 7-40. But I did want a TV for the bedroom and it had to be B&O so that was the one. Thanks to all those who offered advice although I was quite suprised that it was such a small thread with very little input. Still, it was helpful to a point.

Simon.

• 02-12-2009 3:41 PM In reply to

I am shocked that the picture on the bv6 you feel isn't that great!

all the best Nick

• 02-12-2009 4:37 PM In reply to

Hi Nick, could have been a source issue I guess but I saw it connected to a Sky digital received signal in the dealer and still noticed what I would consider a lot of movement issues. It might be better from a distance and that will be the case watching in from my bed in the main bedroom so I guess we'll have to judge it over time. It will be interesting to see what an HD signal looks like on it, which will be sent via masterlink from the Sky HD box attached to the 7-40 in the living room. Although it won't receive it in full HD because its picking it up throuhg RF it still should be quite good I would have thought. If the picture quality doesn't live up to my standards then I'll buy another one for the bedroom and use the 6-26 as a computer monitor I guess, either that or have it as the spare room or kitchen TV.

Do you have one at home? Where do you use it and how do you find it generally as a set? Is it still comparable to more modern day LCD set pictures from other manufacturers?

Cheers,
    Simon.

• 02-12-2009 5:36 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

I know someone with the MKI BV6-22 and the picture is still superb and that's nearly five years old.

The problem is that you will NOT get a better picture from a 2005-model non-HD BV6 if you compare it to a HD-sourced BV7-40 MKIII or BV9. The colours on my BV7-40 cannot be bettered by my BV8-26, even when connected to the same source. That's a lot to do with the picture processing behind the BV7-40.

• 02-13-2009 2:09 PM In reply to

Hi Simon,

I have an avant and a beovision 1, I thought eventually I would upgrade to a bv6 at some point and a bv7 in the main room.  maybe i will keep the bv1 for a while longer.

Thanks For the info

Cheers Nick 

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)